Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To Forge, Deanjo and MamiyaOtaru : ok guys, we are all disappointed by the delay of linux UT3, but you could see that WarTourist is giving us some news, that he's probably not responsible for the delay of the linux client.
    Also, he's giving us so news about the advancement of the project -or, at least, saying that it's still on his way-. How many Linux client disappeared without any further notice ?

    Let say that for now, many game editors don't see the truly potential of Linux for gaming, and that probably the linux client has been more ressource consuming than expected, to manage with needs that Epic should have for stabilizing the windows client (which is probably 90% of the sales) and the server.

    I'd rather like Epic that say not much but release at least a linux client, than a Valve attitude to say nothing and ignore purely and simply the linux side (almost for those that remember that Counter Strike 1.x let the choice of the renderer between Direct X and OpenGL...).
    Or worst, the remaining games editors that says nothing about linux and therefore, do nothing...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
      To Forge, Deanjo and MamiyaOtaru : ok guys, we are all disappointed by the delay of linux UT3, but you could see that WarTourist is giving us some news, that he's probably not responsible for the delay of the linux client.
      I know that WarTourist has not (as far as we know anyways) had any part in delaying the Linux UT3 release, but conversely he has GIVEN US NOTHING. Empty pretty words. "Oh yeah, it's 9 months late, and it'll be later before it's done, but we're still working on it." Anyone can say that, and while I'm not calling WarTourist a liar at all, I'm also saying that he's given us no new information, just a pat on the head and a calm request to wait still more.

      At this rate UT3 Linux will be released about 6 weeks after the last Windows player gets tired of it and uninstalls.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Forge View Post
        At this rate UT3 Linux will be released about 6 weeks after the last Windows player gets tired of it and uninstalls.
        Great, then it will be available in shops for about 10 to 20. Not too bad IMO.

        Okay, back to getting serious:

        I really appreciate your posts in here WarTourist. It is great to finally get some official statement beside "there is the FAQ and, uhm, that's it...". I hope the Linux binary will be out soon so that I consider buying it. I hope that a demo for Linux will be released since I tend to only buy games where I have a chance to test with a demo if it really runs on my box. And no, I won't buy it before there is a native Linux client since I got no Windows to run it, so what should I do with it? (No, WINE ain't no alternative to run the software!)

        Comment


        • OMG! Someone from Epic has actually said something about the linux client. Quite shocking really ... Though, I have to say this is way, way, way too late. It's soon 9 months since the release of the Windows-version for Christ sake! Don't EVER expect me to buy this game after such a delay without any word of it's progress or official reasons for delay. I was actually considering buying it, but I'm glad I didn't. 9 months and no client? Please don't think I'm going to believe it's due to some issues making it, because that just doesn't add up at all. 9 months is plenty of time to make that client, after all, the linux server was released a long time ago. Why should the client be any different?

          Word of advice: If you want me as a customer, please pay the courtesy of actually giving us an update now and then. As some already have argued, it makes the situation at least more bearable and understandably. Behaving as you guys have done (deleting/closing threads, not saying anything for a very long time etc.) is just plain rude and provoking. Sorry, but this is just not worth buying (i.e. supporting) at all. Better luck next time. Maybe I'll buy it then

          Comment


          • I think that the actual UT3 game is least of real goals for linux gaming, be it speculation, countless games are licensed to run on previous Unreal Tournament Engines, and assuming the entire engine gets ported and not just some form of compatability layer, hope that it expands other game developers apart from Epic to easily build a Linux client for their games.

            Combined with the semi-confirmed ports of the source engine, and what one would have to assume will be the steam client aswell, the next year could see very big things happening for not just linux game development, but as the user base grows, more growth in linux itself.

            Fingers crossed?

            Comment


            • Better get on way with linux has China is massively using Linux in it's administration.
              More and more administrations over the world, firms and even end-users are using Linux. Asus is selling it's EEEPC with linux on it.
              AMD is developping an open-source strategy, DELL is selling few computers with linux on it. HP is supporting also Linux.

              Things are changing fast in computer world. Who remembers Altavista ? Netscape didn't survived the IE assault but was the leader on the market. OS/2 from IBM : gone. I don't even talk about game editors : Psygnosis, Gremlins only to remember two great names. They have all gone. Probably because they didn't anticipated enough a market change.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                Better get on way with linux has China is massively using Linux in it's administration.
                More and more administrations over the world, firms and even end-users are using Linux. Asus is selling it's EEEPC with linux on it.
                AMD is developping an open-source strategy, DELL is selling few computers with linux on it. HP is supporting also Linux.

                Things are changing fast in computer world. Who remembers Altavista ? Netscape didn't survived the IE assault but was the leader on the market. OS/2 from IBM : gone. I don't even talk about game editors : Psygnosis, Gremlins only to remember two great names. They have all gone. Probably because they didn't anticipated enough a market change.

                Netscape evolved into Firefox/Thunderbird so in a sense they did survive.

                OS/2 is still fairly strong in the banking world as well.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Forge View Post
                  Just to make something perfectly clear: THIS IS NOT A PATCH. This is THE release. You have not released the Linux client that was promised, therefore we are nine months in and I have NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO RUN the game I paid ~55$ USD for.

                  If the Linux client does not get released, there will be YEARS of bad blood. There will be so much noise from one end of the internet to the other that Epic will wonder why multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns fall flat and their products sit idly on shelves.

                  Do not ever forget that while Linux is often maligned, we are also some of the most technically proficient and knowledgeable users around. We may not run Linux 24/7, and we may just be that guy that EVERYONE goes to when things don't work right. You slight me and you'll lose sales not just from me, but also the ~50 people who take my word without question, and likely a great deal more who listen to people who listen to me.

                  Linux is a small part of the market, but it's a very very important one. Do not renege on your promises.
                  I agree with everything you say, but unfortunately, the reality is that they care much more about the millions of idiotic windows users who cant figure out how not to burn their toast in the toaster than the few thousand tech savvy linux users that only use vi and emacs. Quantity over quality.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    OS/2 is still fairly strong in the banking world as well.
                    Use does not equate to production- just because it's being used, doesn't mean it's being SOLD. IBM EOLed it completely. At this point, anyone still on OS/2 is going to have to re-think their stuff over to Solaris, Linux, MacOS, or Windows.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Use does not equate to production- just because it's being used, doesn't mean it's being SOLD. IBM EOLed it completely. At this point, anyone still on OS/2 is going to have to re-think their stuff over to Solaris, Linux, MacOS, or Windows.
                      Or just leave the OS/2 boxes chugging away quietly...

                      AltaVista was the Xerox PARCS GUI/OS wasn't it?

                      Comment


                      • Altavista was the original 800 pound gorilla search engine, backed by Digital Equipment (DEC).

                        http://www.altavista.com/

                        It took quite a while before Google displaced it.
                        Last edited by bridgman; 07-05-2008, 11:40 AM.

                        Comment


                        • It actually was my search engine of choice before Google became what it is today.

                          Comment


                          • So why haven't all of you supergeniuses diffed the UT3 Linux server code between the demo and retail and see what is causing the licensing problems? Then we can harass them.

                            Any bets on Ageia?

                            Comment


                            • I dont think so, do you know who owns Ageia? For the ignoramus: it's NVIDIA!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                                So why haven't all of you supergeniuses diffed the UT3 Linux server code between the demo and retail and see what is causing the licensing problems? Then we can harass them.

                                Any bets on Ageia?
                                Binary diffs? Doesn't work...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X