This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
    so many months of cursing and saying that UT3 won't be worthy anyway erased in just one post?

oh, how things change, now UT3 is the second coming, and Epic rullz Linux gaming...

Not really. I'm still not happy about their handling of the UT3-client for Linux and all these closed threads pointing to an outdates FAQ are nothing but a stab in the back of each customer who purchased UT3, in the hoping of getting it to run on Linux a few weeks after the release.

Now we hear that "there's no news to report" was a complete lie, as WarTourist stated "Work on the UT3 linux client most defintely is progressing,..", which would have been great news for everyone asking in Epic's forums.

Still, just to support their Linux-sales, I'll get the game as soon as there's a stable client.

WarTourist, can you tell if there'll be an (already patched!) Linux-demo?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Sorry, but until something more concrete surfaces, these are empty words for me.
      A perfectly reasonable approach for a consumer to take.

Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
      Now we hear that "there's no news to report" was a complete lie, as WarTourist stated "Work on the UT3 linux client most defintely is progressing,..", which would have been great news for everyone asking in Epic's forums.
      But that's exactly what the FAQ says!

We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here.
      I don't understand why people didn't believe it there, but believe it slightly differently worded version here .

Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
      WarTourist, can you tell if there'll be an (already patched!) Linux-demo?
      TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by WarTourist View Post
        A perfectly reasonable approach for a consumer to take.
        Isn't it, though?

But that's exactly what the FAQ says!
        Heh... That FAQ entry was HOW old and HOW behind the official release are we at this time?

A little bit of honest delta in things with a mea culpa on the delay would go many, many miles in the PR department.

I don't understand why people didn't believe it there, but believe it slightly differently worded version here .
        Because it's a person speaking on behalf of Epic, indicating that, no, we've not discarded it, yes, we're still working on it, and sorry, it's a bit later...for all intents and purposes. The FAQ is from NOVEMBER of last year. Which month is it right now? I'm not going to get into trying to tell a business how to handle it's PR relations- but that's a bit overmuch without something from you guys. What you're posting in here was something resembling what you needed to do to partly defuse the building bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
          so many months of cursing and saying that UT3 won't be worthy anyway erased in just one post?

oh, how things change, now UT3 is the second coming, and Epic rullz Linux gaming...

Heh... Why do you think I called out the same behavior in the LGP DRM discussion thread. If you've got a problem with things, you need to either stick to your guns ALL THE WAY, or keep your trap shut- hypocrisy only breeds contempt and furthers the cause of the people you're trying to change or make a point to.

All in all, I've been of mixed opinions on this. I'm none too happy about the amount of delay or the mishandling of the situation by Epic. Them coming in here and saying, 'Hey, we're still working on it!' helps their position some, but they've hindered themselves with the poor handling otherwise. Right now, I'm willing to talk with them and POSSIBLY consider buying the title- but for right now, it's just little more than the time of day, metaphorically, from me.

Comment

I think this pretty much sums up how we have felt for the last 7 months after asking for an update

This "When it's done" BS has been done before and gives no credibility to if or when a product will be released.
            Last edited by deanjo; 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I think this pretty much sums up how we have felt for the last 7 months after asking for an update
              Damn, dude...

I almost got in trouble laughing too hard up here at work reading that.

And yes, that strip pretty much sums up how most of the community feels about the whole thing.

Comment

people should start demanding money back. that'll make them try harder, assuming there will be enough people (not likely).

epic is trying to cover things up, by censoring their forums. fortunately they cannot do the same with news sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Heh... Why do you think I called out the same behavior in the LGP DRM discussion thread. If you've got a problem with things, you need to either stick to your guns ALL THE WAY, or keep your trap shut- hypocrisy only breeds contempt and furthers the cause of the people you're trying to change or make a point to.
                  i hear you!

Epic toys with Linux, id showed their full support, with fast linux binaries releases, and even better, it has opened their engines as GPL, which beyond any (casual) gamers' wish

i do appreciate the fact that a UT3 linux version (will) exists, yet i find no reason for a purchase at more than 8 months after the Windows release, looks like it was a smart decision to wait for the Linux release to get it, i'll test the Demo anyway, if such one exists afterall

Comment

Thanks for the update WarTourist. Of course, a few sentences are only something to be grateful for when compared with a half year of silence And having finally said something, if the client doesn't come out you're really dug yourself one.

UT3 is about the only reason I reboot anymore, and I'd really appreciate not having to.

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                      Thanks for the update WarTourist. Of course, a few sentences are only something to be grateful for when compared with a half year of silence
                      Thanks. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the silence bit. The FAQ was up to date with what we publically discussed about the linux client (last updated on 4/22/08). Between cutting and pasting that answer into every thread about the Linux client and linking to the FAQ, we choose linking to the FAQ.

Guess it's the personal touch :-).

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                        Damn, dude...

I almost got in trouble laughing too hard up here at work reading that.

And yes, that strip pretty much sums up how most of the community feels about the whole thing.
                        Can't confirm, but don't count me in.

Comment

Hi guys. Work on the UT3 linux client most defintely is progressing, albeit a lot slower than we anticipated. We don't discuss the status of patches until we know they're ready to be released. No conspiracy, just challenging work.

Thanks!
                          I though the client was being held up due to legal issues... are you guys removing the offending code and implementing something in house then?

Originally posted by deanjo
                          This "When it's done" BS has been done before and gives no credibility to if or when a product will be released.
                          Haha brilliant!

Comment

Thanks. I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about the silence bit. The FAQ was up to date with what we publically discussed about the linux client (last updated on 4/22/08). Between cutting and pasting that answer into every thread about the Linux client and linking to the FAQ, we choose linking to the FAQ.

Guess it's the personal touch :-).
                            Updated? It says the same thing it did way before that date.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=584654

Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
                            A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.
                            04-16-2008, 06:24 AM
                            http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...t=linux+client

A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.
                            02-09-2008, 07:28 PM
                            http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...t=linux+client

12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
                            http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...client+players

You haven't updated bubkus concerning the linux client.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                              I though the client was being held up due to legal issues
                              This is an excellent example of why we don't discuss patch development publically until it's close to release. This information that didn't do anyone any good by being released.

Updated? It says the same thing it did way before that date.
                              Right, because that statement is (and has been) accurate and up to date.

It sounds like the disconnect is people want to know more about the development of patches than we're willing to make public. I love that you guys are interested, but we've tried it both ways. In the end announcing things when they're guaranteed to happen generates less controversy and angst than announcing our "current plans" and having it change 15 times before the release because of standard development churn.

Comment

generates less controversy and angst than announcing our "current plans" and having it change 15 times before the release because of standard development churn.
                                Announced delays are better then leaving people to wonder what the status is. It doesn't take much to see what silence breeds. I can find examples all over the place where linux support was planned and never followed through (some places still have eta's saying their support will arrive Q2 of 2002).

Before the game was released we were told that it would be out shortly after the the game launch, then we were told that there was legal issues, and as it still sits you have done nothing but said it's being worked on.

Well there are examples all over the gaming world with games being "worked on" often that equates to someone having the sourcecode laying on their harddrive working on it "when they get around to it". Hell you guys let all the windows users know when there was a delays and gave a approx ETA. This smells more and more like a "Duke Nukem Forever" or "Falcon 4.0" timeline every day.

It's no wonder why Silicon Knights served you guys with a lawsuit for the delays and lack of promised features.

Comment

Working...
                                X