Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey WarTourist if you're still visiting, I was wondering when the release of the UT3 linux client comes around whether the editor would likely follow close behind? Is the groundwork being covered similar enough between the client and the editor or is it an entirely different deal to sort out?

    As much as I love the unreal series, a big part of my interest lies in modification and professional game development. I was one of those folks who picked up the collectors tin for the video tutorials and while I really would've appreciated having the game and tools available long a go, I'm certainly not losing anything by waiting and your engine still looks like a kick ass piece of kit.

    Keep up the good work, my excitement has barely been scratched by this delay.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SCIBOTIC View Post
      Hey WarTourist if you're still visiting, I was wondering when the release of the UT3 linux client comes around whether the editor would likely follow close behind? Is the groundwork being covered similar enough between the client and the editor or is it an entirely different deal to sort out?

      As much as I love the unreal series, a big part of my interest lies in modification and professional game development. I was one of those folks who picked up the collectors tin for the video tutorials and while I really would've appreciated having the game and tools available long a go, I'm certainly not losing anything by waiting and your engine still looks like a kick ass piece of kit.

      Keep up the good work, my excitement has barely been scratched by this delay.
      Hi Scibotic. That's my understanding, that the UT3 Linux client patch will include full editor support. I'll double check with Ryan though and will post if that's not the case.

      Comment


      • Hi WarTourist,
        are your company waiting to provide the Linux client after/within launching a special pack of the game with extra content from the Make Something Unreal contest?

        Comment


        • cool, native ut3 editor in linux. Will it use wx widgets ?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            cool, native ut3 editor in linux. Will it use wx widgets ?
            IIRC that's what Ryan announced back in the day.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by marakaid View Post
              Hi WarTourist,
              are your company waiting to provide the Linux client after/within launching a special pack of the game with extra content from the Make Something Unreal contest?
              This was covered somewhere earlier.
              If they waited to do such, it will be an even longer wait. Like another 6 months or some other long amount.
              Depends on when the contest is over and they pick the winners.

              Are there any packaging plans yet WarTourist?

              Comment


              • I'd pay up to 90 euros for a special pack with all Unreal and UT games:
                -latest patches for Windows and Linux installers
                -Bonus Packs,
                -Good selection of mods, like in UT 1999 GOTY.
                -full size printed manuals.
                -soundtracks on audio-cd;

                Avoid something like the Unreal Anthology fiasco: DVD size box, disc compatible only with Windows (it was pretty hard to extract the content in Linux system)

                If Epic only launch the UT3 linux client, I will not pay more than 18-24 euros for the Windows retail copy.
                Last edited by marakaid; 09-15-2008, 07:39 AM.

                Comment


                • Just wait. That's what WarTourist would tell you.

                  They'll probably deliver the UT3 client 'soon', as a pack-in with UT4 or UT5.

                  Maybe buy the Windows Vista only Gears of War 2 next year and get a free UT3 binary!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Forge View Post
                    Just wait. That's what WarTourist would tell you.

                    They'll probably deliver the UT3 client 'soon', as a pack-in with UT4 or UT5.

                    Maybe buy the Windows Vista only Gears of War 2 next year and get a free UT3 binary!
                    Hey, now, be nice. Vitriol on this will only ensure you getting NOTHING for some time to come- and not just UT3.

                    Keep it to the facts. Keep it to the fact that you're not at all happy about this mess. Flinging around crap like this might let you feel better about the situation, but it is much less than helpful.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                      Hi WarTourist,
                      are your company waiting to provide the Linux client after/within launching a special pack of the game with extra content from the Make Something Unreal contest?
                      Nope, as soon as it's finished we intend to release it.

                      Originally posted by me262 View Post
                      Are there any packaging plans yet WarTourist?
                      For the Linux client? It will be released for free on the internet.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X