Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
    Well, i'd like to disagree on that assertion. I dont think Epic or any other company reads up what the community says on their or someone elses forums, or at least no one that has any influential power in the company.
    WarTourist looks in on this forum and this thread and others.

    That's the producer for the very game we're bickering about here.

    He has a very definite impact on the decision making to either make or not make a version for Linux.

    There's others. Trust me.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by marakaid View Post
      Please stop arguing, everytime I see this thread or some other related as "Popular in The Forums" I click waiting new information about the linux client.
      Sorry. I can see why you'd be bothered by that. Like I said in earlier posts...

      Moreover, I do believe that if there was an announcement or more real info on the client, that Michael Larabel would have a headline and there'd be a different discussion thread about it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I didn't say you weren't entitled to an opinion, just that your opinion's off in left field and that you might want to re-evaluate it or express it a lot better.

        Now, you're going off on LGP because of MY opinion. Am I not entitled to my opinion? Apparently not because you're associating me, posting on solely my behalf, with an official action of LGP and it's THEIR opinion ("Is me looking foolish the official line of LGP?"...) which is patently bogus.

        If it weren't for the fact that we need every sale right at the moment, I'd tell you, "more power to you" and just ignore you. You will not get the attention of the companies- your position's so extreme and not based in any semblance of reality that nobody save people of your like mind will ever really take you seriously.
        .
        See you should be careful as your tag suggests you are a representative of LGP , labeling potential customers as foolish which is slightly insulting isnt a very good idea when you need every sale you can get . A public apology ( something even the mighty epic cannot do ) might be a good idea

        Comment


        • I must confess that at first I felt pretty much like D0pamine with regards to Epic and UT3, the key difference was that in my case, as soon as I learned that the binaries wouldn't make it to the install media in time, I called off my pre-order. I bought UT2k3 and 2k4 solely on the grounds that they would (as they actually DID) include the binaries on the install media, since UT3 wouldn't, I'd simply wait for the binaries before buying it.

          Like I said, during the first months of delay I felt like Epic had betrayed their Linux customers, but I finally realized that it didn't matter how I felt or how vocal I'd be, that wouldn't change the fact that the delay was because of something Epic (or more precisely, Ryan) couldn't publicly tell or disclose. The only thing for me to do was to actually accept the fact that for the foreseeable future there wasn't going to be a UT3 for Linux release, which in turn meant that I wouldn't buy UT3 for the foreseeable future either (decision which saved me over 60 USD ). Now my posture is simple: if it comes out (and having played it on the PS3, I already know the game) I'll buy it, if it doesn't, I won't. As simple as that.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            See you should be careful as your tag suggests you are a representative of LGP , labeling potential customers as foolish which is slightly insulting isnt a very good idea when you need every sale you can get . A public apology ( something even the mighty epic cannot do ) might be a good idea
            Nobody owes you any kind of excuse. He's with LGP but still he's allowed to have his opinion and to voice it. After all he's an individual and not just a clerk without a face barking out lines written down on a shoddy piece of paper by some PR moron.

            Why is this topic still not locked? Somebody misplaced the lock-stick? :P

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Why is this topic still not locked? Somebody misplaced the lock-stick? :P
              Why should it be? Has the binaries been released? No. It's a ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved. If you want threads like this locked you might want to try here:

              http://utforums.epicgames.com

              Comment


              • Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                while [ 1 ] ; do
                echo Buy the native version once it\'s released from a Linux store.
                done
                Honest question(s).. Who will sell Linux-native UT3? And since Epic is going to release Linux binaries seperately to run on the Windows version, that seems counter to the idea of being able to buy a Linux-native copy. If someone was going to sell a Linux-native version, wouldn't they say as such?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Why should it be? Has the binaries been released? No. It's a ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved. If you want threads like this locked you might want to try here:

                  http://utforums.epicgames.com
                  This is what is most annoying about the whole thing , epic being so ignorant , not even saying sorry , just locking threads and telling people to go away

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    Why is this topic still not locked? Somebody misplaced the lock-stick? :P
                    I've been wondering that myself at this point...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Honest question(s).. Who will sell Linux-native UT3? And since Epic is going to release Linux binaries seperately to run on the Windows version, that seems counter to the idea of being able to buy a Linux-native copy. If someone was going to sell a Linux-native version, wouldn't they say as such?
                      I suspect the Linux-centric gaming online sales stores (Tux Games, ixSoft, etc...) will carry the Windows install SKU with a CD/DVD with the Linux binaries on it. It'll be the closest you're going to find for that sort of thing at this point in this whole ordeal.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                        I suspect the Linux-centric gaming online sales stores (Tux Games, ixSoft, etc...) will carry the Windows install SKU with a CD/DVD with the Linux binaries on it. It'll be the closest you're going to find for that sort of thing at this point in this whole ordeal.
                        /+1.

                        If it makes any difference, I usually buy games from tuxgames. (They usually ship the original CD/DVD + a separate Linux binary CD)

                        - Gilboa
                        DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                        SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                        BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                        LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                        Comment


                        • Which begs the question, why arent linux games stores not incorporating the digital distribution service ? Shouldnt that make sense, since most linux users are used to downloading their linux distribution, drivers, etc? Wouldnt that increase their market share too?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                            Which begs the question, why arent linux games stores not incorporating the digital distribution service ? Shouldnt that make sense, since most linux users are used to downloading their linux distribution, drivers, etc? Wouldnt that increase their market share too?
                            Uh... Not all titles are licensed for electronic distribution.

                            If you don't have the permission to publish in that specific format, you don't get to DO it in the first place.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                              Uh... Not all titles are licensed for electronic distribution.

                              If you don't have the permission to publish in that specific format, you don't get to DO it in the first place.
                              But all unreal tournament games, including UT3, are now being offered as digital downloads in Stardock's Impulse service, which in my opinion, is much better than steam.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                                But all unreal tournament games, including UT3, are now being offered as digital downloads in Stardock's Impulse service, which in my opinion, is much better than steam.
                                I believe the entire UT series is available as well on steam now as well.

                                EDIT: Yup it is. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/683/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X