Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bitching isn't going to help.
    But it's human nature to do so. Why fault Linux users for bitching when Windows users would do the same thing? I dare say Windows users would be worse if they were treated this way (if for the sole reason that's there's more users and, statistically speaking, more whiners).

    Does it make it right? Absolutely not. I'm also not bitching, I'm just trying to explain my perspective on it. But I also can't say I fault someone who's plopped down 50 to 60 dollars on the promise of there being a Linux client, having no update for almost a year (and counting), and thus feels slighted.

    And just to be absolutely clear, I don't condone name calling, personal attacks, and the like. Especially towards those that have no say in the matter. I just don't think it's very fair to throw a blanket over it all that anyone who has a problem with how we've been treated is just an ungrateful Linux user that wants everything handed to them.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Show me one developer that has said ANYTHING as a sort. I can however show you many that say it's simply not financially feasible.
      I'm not quite sure what you are trying to argue here, but...

      Financial feasibility is tends to go with what the people doing to study want to see. If they are already pre-disposed not to do Linux, it will always not look feasible. If they want to do a Linux port, the numbers will look different. It's all a matter of how you phrase the questions.

      @Chris: It's a farce, but... Anyone who laid down the money for a copy "on the promise of there being a Linux client" has a case for breach of contract, so should sue. If they don't, well could they kindly stop bitching about the lack of a Linux client and start bitching about the fact they don't have the balls to actually demand their legal rights. Of course, if that promise didn't exist...

      In general, a low level rant is one thing (hell, a high level rant is fun done properly) but what we are seeing here mostly isn't that, it's the kind of mindless arrogance that is going to push anyone who isn't committed away.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
        @Chris: It's a farce, but... Anyone who laid down the money for a copy "on the promise of there being a Linux client" has a case for breach of contract, so should sue. If they don't, well could they kindly stop bitching about the lack of a Linux client and start bitching about the fact they don't have the balls to actually demand their legal rights. Of course, if that promise didn't exist...
        I can't say I know exactly what they've said. I've only been able to gleam that they've said, in some capacity, that there would be a Linux client. The UT games aren't something I follow religiously as I much prefer single player games (or limitted multiplayer, eg. a half dozen or so friends playing together), but I will occasionally jump into something like UT2k4 for a quick game.

        But even if all they said was there'd very likely be a Linux client soon after release, and then strung along users saying "not yet.. soon" for 9 months, I'd expect plenty of users to be frustrated. Especially for a largely multiplayer-only game that's useless without a player base, and seeing that player base dwindle to low numbers while you're waiting to even start. And doubly so for a company that's been so friendly toward Linux in the past (remember what I've said in other threads about happy customers being repeat customers? I'd imagine *that's* why people would have bought it on good faith alone).. I'd also imagine that if/when Epic finally does deliver a Linux UT3 client and a Linux client for following titles, everyone would look back on this as a blotch in history (Epic, assuming they really are trying to appease/appeal to Linux users, for not being able to give what they promised, and Linux users for being so negative towards Epic).

        In general, a low level rant is one thing (hell, a high level rant is fun done properly) but what we are seeing here mostly isn't that, it's the kind of mindless arrogance that is going to push anyone who isn't committed away.
        Perhaps, but I don't think a single, or even a select few, forums are representative of Linux users as a whole. What was that saying..? "For every disgruntled customer, there's two that are content" ..or something like that, at least. The really angry ones will be the most likely to comment.. can't let that overshadow the quietly content/optimistic people.
        Last edited by Chris; 08-20-2008, 10:07 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
          Stop acting as if you are ENTITLED to Linux games.!
          I agree but when they say there IS going to be one .. I've never asked for a COD4 client ( would be nice though ) because one was never announced as WarTourist will link you to stated claim :-


          Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
          A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.

          WarTourist , what are the odds of the linux client for this game being released before christmas 2008 ?

          To me too its just a bit of fun , its great fun , better than T.V. anyway - i still want it though because i paid for it , yes i know it doesnt have a tux on the box but the FAQ which WarTourist freqently links to before locking a thread STILL states 'We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version' - but when? Is it a lost cause?. I mean by the time we get to play it will all the servers be ghost servers because 'its an old game'? - some sort of time frame please WarTourist!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
            I agree but when they say there IS going to be one .. I've never asked for a COD4 client ( would be nice though ) because one was never announced as WarTourist will link you to stated claim :-


            Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
            A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3.

            WarTourist , what are the odds of the linux client for this game being released before christmas 2008 ?

            To me too its just a bit of fun , its great fun , better than T.V. anyway - i still want it though because i paid for it , yes i know it doesnt have a tux on the box but the FAQ which WarTourist freqently links to before locking a thread STILL states 'We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version' - but when? Is it a lost cause?. I mean by the time we get to play it will all the servers be ghost servers because 'its an old game'? - some sort of time frame please WarTourist!
            I dont think wartourist comes here anymore.

            Comment


            • Anyone who laid down the money for a copy "on the promise of there being a Linux client" has a case for breach of contract, so should sue.
              Besides which, suing should be a last resort. Just because there's some problems doesn't eman you need to jump to litigation. All most people seem to want is just some general time frame for release, and barring that to know what's holding it up. Hardly something to sue over. Though if the client does indeed end up being cancelled...

              It wouldn't be so bad if people could just return the game for a full refund, but by this time it's kinda late (not to mention many places not accepting game returns at all anymore, anyway).

              Comment


              • And even more relevantly, the fact you would lose!

                Caveat Emptor. You purchased a Windows game not a Linux game. It says Windows in the system requirements on the box!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
                  I'm not quite sure what you are trying to argue here, but...

                  Financial feasibility is tends to go with what the people doing to study want to see. If they are already pre-disposed not to do Linux, it will always not look feasible. If they want to do a Linux port, the numbers will look different. It's all a matter of how you phrase the questions.
                  Your saying our griping is pushing the developers away, so show me where they have said any such thing? Any game production house will suffice.

                  We do have on record Mark Rein saying ""We're a multi-platform company folks please come to grips with that. We like the PC. We like the 360. We like the PS3. We like the Macintosh. We like Linux. We will deliver UT3 for all of these platforms and it will rock on every one.""

                  There were release dates for the windows version, xbox, ps3 and windows. When those platforms were delayed they at least got a revised timeline. Something that we have yet to receive.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 08-20-2008, 11:28 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                    I dont think wartourist comes here anymore.
                    He did as of earlier today. He even replied to a comment I'd made in that specific post.

                    He's here, very probably listening in to all these goings on. Since he's one of the management on UT3, I have to wonder what he's making of all these goings on...it can't be reflecting well on us with some of these comments...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Your saying our griping is pushing the developers away, so show me where they have said any such thing? Any game production house will suffice.
                      We won't go there, deanjo. Drop it, please.

                      Comment


                      • BTW, don't know if this is any indicator or the typical amazon screwup but they are saying it's being released on the 29th for the Mac.

                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macsoft-Unre.../dp/B0016IV9FA

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                          He did as of earlier today. He even replied to a comment I'd made in that specific post.

                          He's here, very probably listening in to all these goings on. Since he's one of the management on UT3, I have to wonder what he's making of all these goings on...it can't be reflecting well on us with some of these comments...
                          I bet he would love to have the kind of moderating power he has in the epic boards.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                            I bet he would love to have the kind of moderating power he has in the epic boards.
                            Now, now... Let's be mannerful over here. We're above that sort of snippy remarks (Why stoop to that level, right?).

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                              BTW, don't know if this is any indicator or the typical amazon screwup but they are saying it's being released on the 29th for the Mac.

                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macsoft-Unre.../dp/B0016IV9FA
                              Guess we'll have to see. It might be when we see it for Linux. I'm not going to be so bold as to venture a guess. If there's a demo for Linux, I'll evaluate it then- otherwise, I've got other things to be spending my money on that might be more useful to myself and everyone in these discussion threads.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                                Guess we'll have to see. It might be when we see it for Linux. I'm not going to be so bold as to venture a guess. If there's a demo for Linux, I'll evaluate it then- otherwise, I've got other things to be spending my money on that might be more useful to myself and everyone in these discussion threads.
                                Let me add my 2c's worth.
                                If the Linux client -does- come out, I will most likely jump to tuxgames and buy a "Linux" copy (Same as I did with ID games), even though it costs more (International shipping).
                                I will do so, not because I'm rich and/or stupid, but because I rather make a -Linux- sale instead of adding yet-another-Windows sale to the grand total.
                                Yes, it has a dwindling community (I'll mostly play against the AI, so I don't really care) and there will be far less mods compared to UT2K4, but personal statements are never cheap or easy. ([RANT] Unless you're an apple iSomthing user; Yes, spending money on fashion accessory does make a statement; No, it's not what you think, it's more in line with "I like overpriced shiny things wrapped in plastic that makes me feel superior for no good reason" [/RANT])

                                As some people above said, neither ID nor Epic owe us anything - and as much as I dislike the way Epic has handled this PR fiasco (No, repeating the same empty message doesn't really help), we, as a community should consider our long term goals (E.g. More native games) before we start burning down the house.

                                - Gilboa
                                DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                                SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                                BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                                LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X