Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Now...you wanna know WHY?

    It's because of things like the piracy of LGP titles (I'm dead serious about this...).

    It's because of all the pedantic whining about "paying more for 'old' titles".

    It's because of WINE "being good enough".

    The industry's been watching what we're doing and all that crap is COSTING US.
    How can you pirate when you need a valid key ? I would pay double ney trebble for a GOOD linux title and wine is akin to michaelangelo doing a sculpture of a turd , no matter how perfect its still gona be shit

    and ya Naib i'll be back dude , chill

    Comment


    • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      How can you pirate when you need a valid key ? I would pay double ney trebble for a GOOD linux title and wine is akin to michaelangelo doing a sculpture of a turd , no matter how perfect its still gona be shit

      and ya Naib i'll be back dude , chill
      You're the exception, not the norm, my friend.

      Comment


      • not really , i know a small army of GNU/Linux users who frag till their fingers bleed , none of which has a pirate copy - they cannot , they need a valid key , i wouldnt be too bothered about emulating paying for a game if i have to emulate to play ( yes i know wine isnt an emulator )

        Comment


        • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
          not really , i know a small army of GNU/Linux users who frag till their fingers bleed , none of which has a pirate copy - they cannot , they need a valid key , i wouldnt be too bothered about emulating paying for a game if i have to emulate to play ( yes i know wine isnt an emulator )
          In comparison to how many thousands are Windows users?

          You HAVE to put yourself in perspective to what the companies doing the stuff (mostly the media companies) see. If you're talking only a thousand right at the moment, you're nothing to them. Honest. Ten thousand they start sort of considering your needs, hundreds of thousands and they're paying attention.

          Right now, while the desktop space is there for Linux, the bulk of the people are either not gamers or they're doing the things I ascribed. If your claims were closer to reality, you'd not have the paucity of stuff for Linux. It'd be more like what the MacOS people see.

          Comment


          • http://digg.com/linux_unix/Over_8_million_Ubuntu_users *$50 =?

            http://counter.li.org/estimates.php <2005

            really ? nobody can make any money from a market that size ? are we all tight-fisted warez monkeys ?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
              Now, warn me when you go do things like that... I wanna put on the chest waders on these sorts of occasions because I've just got new boots and slacks...
              I have heard they're going to Linux, but I haven't really seen any devices like that in the American Market yet.

              Then again, I'm not in the market right now.
              Maybe I should try hacking my Asus PPC for Linux...

              Comment


              • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                really ? nobody can make any money from a market that size ? are we all tight-fisted warez monkeys ?
                It's because of all the other reasons.
                Wine and copy protection are the major players.

                Comment


                • I'd almost also offer that a small area of the downloaders download for convenience, or to replace a broken copy.

                  Take this scenario. World of Warcraft comes on 5 CD's, and they had a limited DVD edition when it first started. You got the 5-CD version as a present. You download the DVD version off the net, and install with that. You still have a valid key, you just downloaded a more convenient media format.
                  It's the same with NFS: Most Wanted and Neverwinter Nights 2 for me.

                  Even when it's implemented, it'll still be broken. Look at all the cracked copies of games that are out there. We just know where to go for this stuff. The fact that there was no copy protection up until this point was the real turn off to the companies.
                  Although to be honest, the online checking is kinda bs, there really should be a way to hash the media and installed program file. No offense...
                  Last edited by me262; 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM. Reason: Yep, they break. Just like my ACID Music 2.0 CD.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
                    http://digg.com/linux_unix/Over_8_million_Ubuntu_users *$50 =?

                    http://counter.li.org/estimates.php <2005

                    really ? nobody can make any money from a market that size ? are we all tight-fisted warez monkeys ?
                    Considering that the Windows market is "over 100 million" large, for starters.... You're only talking about 1/10th to 1/5th the whole Windows market. They sell Windows titles. Make a lot of money at it. It's a known. Moreover, I will observe that of that 20-30 million worldwide, HOW many are gamers? How many of the gamers run WINE instead of holding off for a Linux client? I think you're going to be disappointed in the results. You're going to have to wait at least another 2-3 years while Microsoft costs them more sales and hope they don't just go console only before the types of numbers you quote off are compelling enough to make them start considering things out of the gate. As it stands, YES, it's that difficult to make money out of a market like that- the deck's stacked against you because the royalty deals on a port typically is predicated on the scale of selling at least 10k to 100k units to be really profitable. Just because there's 20-30 million or more people using Linux doesn't mean you're going to have 10k people interested in playing most of the games out there. If you're talking that, you're talking something like UT3 or Rage- which you'd better have roughly 250k burning a hole in your pockets to make the rights purchase, and you'd better HOPE you sell all 10-20k units to just break even.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by me262 View Post
                      It's because of all the other reasons.
                      Wine and copy protection are the major players.
                      yeh and a certain company who is doing their best to keep FOSS out of the mainstream (failing also).

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X