Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Launches $49 Steam Link, SteamOS-Powered Streaming Device

Phoronix: Valve Launches $49 Steam Link, SteamOS-Powered Streaming Device

Besides announcing the Source 2 Engine, Valve used GDC2015 as an opportunity to announce Steam Link, a $49 (USD) device for streaming Steam content to any TV...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Missed out on a great opportunity for steam stream.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Missed out on a great opportunity for steam stream.
      It would be typo'd a lot

Comment

"...some of which will be powered by the Linux-based SteamOS."

heh.

Comment

Michael where does it say Steam Link is powered by SteamOS?

Does that mean Steam Link could also be used as a tiny, low-power steam machine?

Comment

"...some of which will be powered by the Linux-based SteamOS"

Only SOME will run SteamOS? So... the majority of Steam Machines will run Windows instead?! I knew this was coming. For a while I thought Valve would be able to make Linux a viable gaming platform. How disappointing.

Comment

It's a modem-sized $50 PC compatible with debian?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Only SOME will run SteamOS? So... the majority of Steam Machines will run Windows instead?! I knew this was coming. For a while I thought Valve would be able to make Linux a viable gaming platform. How disappointing.
                Some manufacturers have been caught off guard by "Valve Time". Perhaps when SteamOS comes out of beta they will switch (or offer it as an alternative to Windows), but until then they have product to move.

"The delay of Valve's Steam Machine (or Steam Box) has forced the hand of systems manufacturers. Alienware, Gigabyte with the Brix, and now Zotac have all begun shipping their would-have-been Steam Machines as DIY mini-PCs. Steam has disallowed the shipment of officially branded Steam Machines until the completion of its haptic controller, leaving system manufacturers scrambling to untie the resources dedicated to machines that were originally slated for a 2014 launch."

For example, the ASUS ROG GR8 went from "Further details pending Valve’s announcement of SteamOS launch schedule" to "Operating System: Windows 8.1". Alienware (Alpha), GIGABYTE (BRIX Pro), iBuyPower (SBX), Maingear (Spark), and ZOTAC (ZBOX EN760) appear to be in the same boat.

Some of the other PCs unveiled as Steam Machines already existed as Windows PCs (ex. Digital Storm Bolt II, Falcon Northwest Tiki).
                Last edited by eidolon; 03 March 2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I expected a streaming solution but not only powered by a dedicated Linux box but maybe together with a BT joypad just as app for Android and iOS and Windows 10. Valve has the opportunity to create a vendor neutral solution. All you need is a fast WLAN connection and hardware with h264 decoder, basically all tablets/phones with at least 1280x720 res should work. A Netflix client could be added to that box as well. Next future step is playing games over Internet. Currently you should buy Sony devices for PS4, Windows 10 for Xbox One, Nvidia devices (or Limelight) for Geforce streaming, stupid vendor lock which is not a technical problem, pure marketing.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

Valve delays are actually planned in their favor. Linux is still growing in game # and now it will even faster with Unreal and Source 2 for free.

The cool thing is they can't blame valve at this moment if their sales are poor.

Also waiting for Next holidays ensure valve has more value to compete: More games ( maybe new Valve title!?) , VR headset, steampad, TV stream stick, BETTER AND CHEAPER HARDWARE or pc parts to go against consoles.

So yeah, Valve time is strategic time. Open the foset slowly...
                    Last edited by madjr; 04 March 2015, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X