Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dead Island For Linux Appears Imminent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dead Island For Linux Appears Imminent

    Phoronix: Dead Island For Linux Appears Imminent

    Dead Island is a action role-playing game developed by Techland for all major platforms and is based on a zombie-infested open world island. There's been talk of a potential Linux port and it looks like it might finally be materializing for Linux gamers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2NzY

  • #2
    Wow. Really *really* did not expect that one. Will be buying. I keep getting blind sided by these games coming out where I was almost for sure they company would not do it. It often changes my opinion of them and at least gives them a chance to be reputable

    Comment


    • #3
      The "Steam Community posting" is about Dead Island: Epidemic, which is a different game.

      There are also rumours Dead Island might be ported by Virtual Programming (who did The Witcher 2), so wait for the reviews before buying it!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by stqn View Post
        The "Steam Community posting" is about Dead Island: Epidemic, which is a different game.

        There are also rumours Dead Island might be ported by Virtual Programming (who did The Witcher 2), so wait for the reviews before buying it!
        It wouldn't surprise me... I was fearing this would be the case once I saw this game show up in my list.

        I'm personally not really a fan of Dead Island. I got the game really cheap through some Humble Bundle or some random Steam sale. But if it came to Linux, I'd actually play it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by stqn View Post
          The "Steam Community posting" is about Dead Island: Epidemic, which is a different game.

          There are also rumours Dead Island might be ported by Virtual Programming (who did The Witcher 2), so wait for the reviews before buying it!
          Good point. I'm still rather upset at the mindset of the VPL team who seem to just blame things on OpenGL rather than limitations of the eON wrapper or their inadequate OGL renderer. Their wording about it is sloppy as well, sometimes correlating Linux to their supposed OpenGL problems even when that isn't really what they mean.

          Still, The Witcher 2 is getting better. Using recent 4.5 OGL driver from Nvidia and recent release, I can play the game 40~60 FPS (without vsync), even though that's not even 50% of what it should be.

          Comment


          • #6
            DI is first person game as far as i recall the game that steam post directs to... well... somehow... feels different. well, off course it does since it is not the same game

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes, Wine has proven way superior to eON. We shouldn't bash Wine as much as we do. It probably has the best D3D-OGL translation layer out there.

              Comment


              • #8
                As long as Techland games are getting ported to Linux, how about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? I'd buy that in a heartbeat were it to come out for the penguin.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have Dead Island on W32. It was okay. Some things were a bit repetitive and it had some weaknesses but also good sides. I just hope they won't mess up the Linux port.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    the game is boring and crazy repetitive, you realize the broken and unpolished mechanics within a few hours. same for DIR, and probably DI2 aswell. don't fall for this junk, get Borderlands 1 or 2 cheap instead.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Adarion, Dead Island is a bit repetitive, but itís very well made and I enjoyed it enough to finish it on the 360. If the port is good Iíll buy it and play it again on Linux.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by widardd View Post
                        the game is boring and crazy repetitive, you realize the broken and unpolished mechanics within a few hours. same for DIR, and probably DI2 aswell. don't fall for this junk, get Borderlands 1 or 2 cheap instead.
                        So you find DI repetitive, but recommend Borderlands? LOL...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by log0 View Post
                          So you find DI repetitive, but recommend Borderlands? LOL...
                          It feels repetitive because itemization and skills/character development are fubar. Mashing buttons is fun when there's stuff to do/get that's worth it. The series is critized for this for years and yet techland refuse to learn or hear anything.

                          Let me say it in other words: If you like something like Ryse, and don't care for anything except mashing buttons, go get it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by widardd View Post
                            It feels repetitive because itemization and skills/character development are fubar. Mashing buttons is fun when there's stuff to do/get that's worth it. The series is critized for this for years and yet techland refuse to learn or hear anything.

                            Let me say it in other words: If you like something like Ryse, and don't care for anything except mashing buttons, go get it.
                            You've missed the point of my comment. I've played both Dead Island Riptide and Borderlands, and I found both boring and repetitive.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by log0 View Post
                              You've missed the point of my comment.
                              Not really, you didn't quite understand the fundamental differences (regarding the "repetitive feeling") between both series so i pointed towards DI's main flaws.
                              BL is a fine series with quite good mechanics, but that doesn't mean one cannot get bored.

                              I get bored just looking a second at FIFA or Battlefield, but not because these games are broken, they're just not my genre.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X