Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOG.com Officially Starts Rolling Out Linux Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GOG.com Officially Starts Rolling Out Linux Games

    Phoronix: GOG.com Officially Starts Rolling Out Linux Games

    GOG.com has officially started rolling out their Linux support and the first batch of Linux-compatible, DRM-free games are available today...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0ODg

  • #2
    @Michael

    Update post with info about sale.

    Some of those games can be had for 2$

    Comment


    • #3
      Does the Gog client work with Linux yet?
      Do the deb binaries work on Ubuntu?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        Does the Gog client work with Linux yet?
        Do the deb binaries work on Ubuntu?
        Yep.
        Should be, since Ubuntu 14.04 is one of the targeted systems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Does the Gog client work with Linux yet?
          Do the deb binaries work on Ubuntu?
          Gog client, are you kidding? The very reason I buy on gog is because there is no such nonsense.
          And yes they should work fine on Ubuntu (exceptions of course possibly)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by clementl View Post
            Yep.
            Should be, since Ubuntu 14.04 is one of the targeted systems.
            I meant nope.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by discordian View Post
              Gog client, are you kidding? The very reason I buy on gog is because there is no such nonsense.
              And yes they should work fine on Ubuntu (exceptions of course possibly)
              Actually they are gonna have a client in the future (http://www.gog.com/galaxy), but it's only as to offer steam like feature for the user, you will still be able to go client-less.

              Comment


              • #8
                hm

                only ubuntu icon not penguin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well this is excellent, unlike Steam, GoG should be able to ramp up their catalog very quickly because most of it relies upon things like DosBox and ScummVM, and so they just have to test that it still works appropriately under Linux and make sure that their license agreements let them release on the platform.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like the fact that they are open by mentioning that "this is a Wine game" when that applies to a game available.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by discordian View Post
                      Gog client, are you kidding? The very reason I buy on gog is because there is no such nonsense.
                      And yes they should work fine on Ubuntu (exceptions of course possibly)
                      http://www.gog.com/downloader
                      and apparently it is not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        God I hope the GOG games I've got get released, come on Cannon Fodder, or any Bullfrog game (Syndicate preferably)...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                          http://www.gog.com/downloader
                          and apparently it is not.
                          Well, if you say "client" I assume some app you need to use for the games, not some optional "downloader" (most browsers can resume croken dl just fine so I dont see a big need for that kinda stuff).
                          And apparently you already knew the answer.

                          So maybe thats a lacking convienience factor for some, but I dont see clicking links as big hassle

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by discordian View Post
                            Well, if you say "client" I assume some app you need to use for the games, not some optional "downloader" (most browsers can resume croken dl just fine so I dont see a big need for that kinda stuff).
                            And apparently you already knew the answer.

                            So maybe thats a lacking convienience factor for some, but I dont see clicking links as big hassle
                            I haven't tried the GOG Downloader (being a Linux user) so I don't know exactly what it does, but the community lgogdownloader has been very convenient for maintaining a copy of my library on my hard drive. It has a bunch of options for filtering out what content you want, and it's able to detect and download only changed files and new games.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes! Finally!

                              What client? Never used the downloader, did it manually. No time yet to look into galaxy. But gog is famous for having a everything DRM free and I guess they keep to it so you will not need any clients. Thanks god. And thanks gog.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X