Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darksiders Has Been Ported To Linux

Phoronix: Darksiders Has Been Ported To Linux

Leszek Godlewski of Nordic Games has shared that he's ported the Darksiders game to Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc0MDQ

Unbelievable- this is possibly my favorite genre, and considering how console-centric it can be this is quite surprising. It gives me hope, especially when they are doing these things in quiet- who knows what will pop up next? I'm getting rather excited for Linux gaming now, given the breadth of varied, well-known games we're beginning to see.

Comment

Wow! This is probably the first game from this genre (arcade slasher) to be on GNU/Linux! (at least I don't recall any others, this genre is quite rare outside of consoles anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        Wow! This is probably the first game from this genre (arcade slasher) to be on GNU/Linux! (at least I don't recall any others, this genre is quite rare outside of consoles anyway)
        Brütal Legend could be called an "arcade slasher", I guess.

Comment

Darksiders was hell of a game, I spent hours and hours on it (almost done with buying the power to the merchant "guy", got the ultimate armor). I was a bit disappointed when seeing that the Windows port was just a strict conversion (no highdef textures, no antialiasing in the engine), the same as x360. It's a real good surprise to see it thrown to Linux (even if it's just Steam-targeted).

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
            Brütal Legend could be called an "arcade slasher", I guess.
            True, I forgot about that one, but it's not a slasher per se, it's a slasher/driving/rts, with the slasher part being sadly less and less the more into the game you progress.

Comment

I think the preferred term for this genre is 'spectacle fighter', it's certainly my favourite term for it.

Haven't played this, nor it's sequel. But it's in my 'purchased in a Steam sale but never played' pile. Might give it a go on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                considering how console-centric it can be this is quite surprising.
                Steamboxes are considered consoles.

Comment

While reading this news i realized my attitude changed:
                  Perviously: "DRM or not. Happily there is some Linux software to support!"
                  Now: "Darksiders for Linux? Nice? Is it on GoG? No .. hmm.. Is it on Humble Store? No? Bah, who needs Darksiders...."

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                    While reading this news i realized my attitude changed:
                    Perviously: "DRM or not. Happily there is some Linux software to support!"
                    Now: "Darksiders for Linux? Nice? Is it on GoG? No .. hmm.. Is it on Humble Store? No? Bah, who needs Darksiders...."
                    Steam != DRM, its an optional feature.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      Steam != DRM, its an optional feature.

Is there a significant number of DRM free games of reasonable quality on steam?
                      Is it?
                      In theory "STEAM != DRM", reality says something else.

Comment

Is it?
                        A lot of the games I got on Steam were from HumbleBundle, a lot of those are DRM free and easily downloadable without Steam. Of course, "reasonable quality" is debatable, but they do exist.

BioShock (1) is DRM free, for instance (though not currently available for Linux).

Comment

Is it?
                          Even if everybody would be using it, it would not change the fact, that it is optional.
                          And you can't blame steam for the reality, that most games _want_ to use DRM! Blame the ones who made this choice!

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                            Even if everybody would be using it, it would not change the fact, that it is optional.
                            And you can't blame steam for the reality, that most games _want_ to use DRM! Blame the ones who made this choice!
                            This old debate comes up over and over. I have two strong reservations against steam.

a) There is no way to obtain the game without connecting to the internet using closed source software.
                            b) They don't offer any way to distinguish games using steamworks drm from those that don't, except for someone to buy the game and try it.

Whether you consider this to be DRM or not, it's enough to make me shop elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                              Why do you people repeat the same stuff again and again ignoring what one said?
                              IMHO Steam is no resource for DRM free stuff, because:
                              - everybody who WANTS DRM goes to steam (thank you for this )
                              - Steam does not mark the games which are DRM free or tries to advertise DRM free games
                              - If there are any DRM free games, they are usually available at GOG or HumbleStore

If one wants DRM free stuff steam is the LAST resort and it really doesn't matter what steam offers behind the scene or who is responsible for the current situation.

//Edit: Hmm ... too late ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X