Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Is Coming To SteamOS, Linux

Phoronix: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Is Coming To SteamOS, Linux

For anyone firing up Steam today for some weekend gaming, you may notice there's a large advertisement on Steam's main page with a notice that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is coming to SteamOS (Linux)...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxMzc

Another game to the catalog. Yeah!

Comment

I'll wait until I know it's native before I'll buy this time, wont make same mistake I made with Witcher 2. I've got Linux and Windows on here and not wanting to switch to Windows to play my games unless it's absolutely neccessary. You could argue that I should be happy Witcher 2 is available on Linux at all, the fact it's not native means I still have to switch to Windows to get a better experience

Comment

I hope they turn eON OFF this time.

Comment

winecher 3?

Comment

They should have bothered to port it natively if they were planning to release both 2 and 3 on Linux...

Comment

Are you running nv graphics?

Originally posted by zimano View Post
              I'll wait until I know it's native before I'll buy this time, wont make same mistake I made with Witcher 2. I've got Linux and Windows on here and not wanting to switch to Windows to play my games unless it's absolutely neccessary. You could argue that I should be happy Witcher 2 is available on Linux at all, the fact it's not native means I still have to switch to Windows to get a better experience
              I was thinking of picking this game up, and am running a gtx660. If you are running an nv board, can you share with me what makes you revert to windows?

Comment

Originally posted by zimano View Post
                I'll wait until I know it's native before I'll buy this time, wont make same mistake I made with Witcher 2.
                It's suppose to be DX11 game, so unless someone has DX11 compatible Wine somewhere in their basement, W3 has to be a native port (opengl renderer or something like Valve's toGL)

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                  It's suppose to be DX11 game, so unless someone has DX11 compatible Wine somewhere in their basement, W3 has to be a native port (opengl renderer or something like Valve's toGL)
                  Witcher 2 is DX9.

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                    Witcher 2 is DX9.
                    I think he is talking about Witcher 3.

I don't care if a game uses some kind of wrapper as long as the performance is the same as on Windows on the same settings +/- 5% and your not missing out on functionality like coop multiplayer.

Comment

Witcher 2 is DX9.
                      Misread the original post, REDengine 3 used in Witcher 3 is indeed suppose to be DX11, at least for the main rendering pipeline (hopefully there is indeed something like toGL for the openGL pipeline), it 64-bit only this time also (not that anyone who regularly play PC game should still be on a 32-bit system).

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                        I think he is talking about Witcher 3.

I don't care if a game uses some kind of wrapper as long as the performance is the same as on Windows on the same settings +/- 5% and your not missing out on functionality like coop multiplayer.
                        I noticed that I misread after my edit period was pass, there is no multiplayer btw. I also indeed hope the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
                          Since it's going on PS4, I'd expect the engine to have more than just a DX11 backend.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                            I was thinking of picking this game up, and am running a gtx660. If you are running an nv board, can you share with me what makes you revert to windows?
                            The witcher 2 is jerky on my GTX 660 (+Core i3 550), even on low settings. I seems to be playable, but itís not great.

Comment

I noticed that I misread after my edit period was pass, there is no multiplayer btw. I also indeed hope the same thing.
                              I was refering to System Shock 2 which doesn't have coop multiplayer as Wine port.

For me on my GTX 580 OC, Core i7 system on Arch Linux Witcher 2 is playable on Max (without Ubersampling) @ 2560x1440 about 30-40 FPS (bit jerky). On Windows it's capped at 60 FPS for VSync.
                              Last edited by blackout23; 06-07-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X