Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ageia's PhysX Delaying UT3 For Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Wasn't GameSpy being used by the Windows version of America's Army back in the days when Icculus was working on the Linux version, I know he had some solution then?
    That may well be what he's working in on UT3.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
      im glad i didnt rush out to buy it as i had planned..

      im gonna sit tight and wait for the binaries to actually surface, THEN i can go buy it..
      After the debacle with NWN's release timeline (While I'm ecstatic they DID the version and bought it because of that, taking as long as they did when it was a supposedly cross-platform title and then not having cut scenes, etc...) I've decided to wait and see if the binaries at least show up before buying a title- I'd prefer them ON the install media, but I'll take what I can get.

      Comment


      • #13
        As far as I'm concerned thats one title i wont be buying until it comes to Linux! Thats for sure!

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Huenengrab View Post
          Well, Epic could have said that there's no "Games for Windows"-deal, if there's no Linux-client.

          But maybe I'm just dreaming here.
          Stop the presses!!

          It might as well be THAT!

          Think about it for a minute... If Epic DID sign the "Games for Windows" deal with Microsoft for UT3, couldn't THAT be what's in the way? I know Icculus said it was middleware, which obviously implies code, but given the track record, couldn't this also be part of the problem? (especially thinking about what Icculus said in the chat: "If I told you what it was, you couldn't believe it" [or something of the sort])

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
            Stop the presses!!

            It might as well be THAT!

            Think about it for a minute... If Epic DID sign the "Games for Windows" deal with Microsoft for UT3, couldn't THAT be what's in the way? I know Icculus said it was middleware, which obviously implies code, but given the track record, couldn't this also be part of the problem? (especially thinking about what Icculus said in the chat: "If I told you what it was, you couldn't believe it" [or something of the sort])
            Considering that he's recoding to get it out and we will be getting something, according to him and Epic, I seriously doubt that it's this. That's marketing deals- which Ryan couldn't fix. Nice try, but you're grasping at straws there, my friend.

            Comment


            • #16
              So support for completely useless and unessicary hardware is blocking the Linux release of Ut3. Wow.

              I wouldn't be suprised if it's PhysX people blocking it. They probably don't want people to run real analysis tools on their engine and find out that 90% of what they claim their card does is actually software-based optimizations and that their little 'accelerator' card is mostly there for looks.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by drag View Post
                So support for completely useless and unessicary hardware is blocking the Linux release of Ut3. Wow.

                I wouldn't be suprised if it's PhysX people blocking it. They probably don't want people to run real analysis tools on their engine and find out that 90% of what they claim their card does is actually software-based optimizations and that their little 'accelerator' card is mostly there for looks.
                I would hardly call it useless. It's a stream processing engine, much like a GPU is, but instead of being dedicated to doing 3D rendering and secondarily being able to do physics calculations, it is dedicated to the task of just doing those sorts of computations. It's not just a physics processor, but that's what they're putting it to. I've seen the stuff in action and it's not snake oil that they're selling- but it is a bit redundant if you pile on a few more shader pipes in a 3D card to do the same thing

                I've seen the difference for real with and without the hardware, whether it is Ageia's card or using shader pipelines for the purpose. It's not there for looks, but it IS extra and redundant in light of the new 3D cards coming down the pike (Which is why Intel bought Havok, I suspect- they can use GPU horsepower to accelerate their physics calculations. And it's part of why AMD's bought ATI...).

                It MIGHT be PhysX that is the problem, but I'm not so sure. I think you should read my responses for the reason as to why I think that.

                It's really a moot point until Ryan gets the fixes in place- and in reality, I think it's a bit over the top for Phoronix to put up articles like this when they haven't any good info to give us. It's one thing to have this stuff in the discussion forums as a speculation thread. It's another to do what was done with this whole situation. TheReg already does a good job of this sort of thing as does the InqWell. Why do we need yet another dodgy source of news?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                  OK, the Gears of War part was a bit over the top (Read: I know that it is a Microsoft game, and unless they are official declared as Monopoly in the OS/Games market, you cannot force them to create a Linux version... Oh wait...).
                  Anyways, the French have a saying - "Cheche La Femme" (I hope I got the spelling right). I have a saying "Cherche La Microsoft", read: anytime something ugly/semi-legal/etc happens you can always, somehow find Microsoft's greasy hand in it.

                  Am I wrong? possibly. But given our past experience I would not bet the farm on it.

                  - Gilboa
                  Microsoft doesn't haft to declare anything, and that is because of the Consumer activities. I'll start by saying that Developers and educational entities as a general rule of thumb go for where the largest commercial user base, and Windows 2000/XP has the largest user base of them all. After considering that, just look at the educational system, i highly doubt you'll find a lot of Linux or Mac systems in the building... with that said, people will buy what they are used to at work, so thus, that eliminates Linux and Mac almost entirely because huge portions of the workplace desktops run windows and that's it.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Considering that he's recoding to get it out and we will be getting something, according to him and Epic, I seriously doubt that it's this. That's marketing deals- which Ryan couldn't fix. Nice try, but you're grasping at straws there, my friend.
                    You got me

                    I was simply implying something I read somewhere else about devs and pubs being forced to not release anything for Linux if they signed the GFW initiative of some thing like that... Utter bull, if you ask me, but I was riding that wave with those statements

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                      Microsoft doesn't haft to declare anything, and that is because of the Consumer activities. I'll start by saying that Developers and educational entities as a general rule of thumb go for where the largest commercial user base, and Windows 2000/XP has the largest user base of them all. After considering that, just look at the educational system, i highly doubt you'll find a lot of Linux or Mac systems in the building... with that said, people will buy what they are used to at work, so thus, that eliminates Linux and Mac almost entirely because huge portions of the workplace desktops run windows and that's it.
                      Actually Mac is very big in the educational scene, used to be bigger than Microsoft and seems to be now losing ground to Linux, apparently. However, you're right about the "work" part. At least it used to be the case back in the early days of home computing, and the reason superior solutions such as Amiga were ditched in favor of crappy, buggy, slow, totally-uncool DOS.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X