Epic Games Is Making An Unreal Tournament Announcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    Remember this when you see the announcement: You read it here on Phoronix first!

It's going to be a FREE-TO-PLAY crapwreck of Unreal Tournament, just like what Quake Live did to that series!
    No, that doesn't make any sense. Games in the Unreal Tournament series have always been the harbinger of the Unreal Engine, showing off all of the latest technology.

And no, I didn't read it on Phoronix first, I read it on BeyondUnreal first.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      No, that doesn't make any sense. Games in the Unreal Tournament series have always been the harbinger of the Unreal Engine, showing off all of the latest technology.

And no, I didn't read it on Phoronix first, I read it on BeyondUnreal first.
      With you read it here on Phoronix first I meant MY prediction, NOT the actual news!

And about the prediction, I think the writing is pretty much already on the wall:

If you closely look at this video, you will see UT3 already being played in Firefox, though it never was released to the public! Now, why did they bother with that in the first place, then?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
        If you closely look at this video, you will see UT3 already being played in Firefox, though it never was released to the public! Now, why did they bother with that in the first place, then?
        That's not UT3, that's a demo of UE3 and it's just a way to show off the scalability of the engine.

Now you should look closely at this video instead:

Comment

Well, Unreal II is pretty much a predecessor to Mass Effect, so it makes sense it's more a space opera than a survival game like the first one was.

The single player made little sense, odd that they removed the ladder (from which the whole series name comes from). As for the login system, it's completely optional, so...
          If I remember the login system wasn't optional for me.

So are you saying that mass effect is part of the Unreal storyline?

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
            If I remember the login system wasn't optional for me.

So are you saying that mass effect is part of the Unreal storyline?
            You remember wrong, then. There's a "cancel" button, right next to "log in".

No I'm not. What I'm saying is that the concept of both games was the same. In both you are a captain of a spaceship, are on a task of galactic peacekeeping, both are story- and dialogue-based, both were supposed to be non-linear in that you can select the missions to go on, in both the choices are supposed to matter, both are supposed to have vehicles, both are strongly about the visuals of each planet and are supposed to be about exploration etc. Not a whole lot of that ended up in the final Unreal II, because Atari ordered Legend Entertainment to release the unfinished beta (cutting out all of the WIP sections, including the multiplayer, which in a much reduced and simplified form Legend released separately after the fact) and then promptly dissolved the company; however, the design docs survived. Whether or not Bioware was aware of them I'm not sure, but the similarities are striking.

Comment

That's not UT3, that's a demo of UE3 and it's just a way to show off the scalability of the engine.

Now you should look closely at this video instead:

Too bad that it seems you have the attention span of a five year old and can't even watch a 2:30 minute video till the end!!

Comment

Working...
              X