Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Borderlands Is Being Considered For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Borderlands Is Being Considered For Linux

    Phoronix: Borderlands Is Being Considered For Linux

    Gearbox Software is currently evaluating consumer interest in bringing Borderlands 2 to Linux...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2Nzg

  • #2
    As thrilled as I would be about this actually happening, I don't think it really will.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Helios747 View Post
      As thrilled as I would be about this actually happening, I don't think it really will.
      I think they might.

      More accurately, I think that, due to their traditional close partnership with Valve, they're probably being persuaded into developing for Linux. However, this is not 1999 anymore, and Gearbox's success does not hinge on Half-Life 1 expansion sales, and they haven't been beholden to Valve for a very, very long time, and can make their own decisions. Thus they are gauging the interest to see what will come of it.

      Borderlands 1/2 are some of the most popular games to play in Wine, in part because they run so well in them. Just look at the AppDb entries for the Borderlands games -- they're some of the most active pages in the AppDb, outside of maybe League of Legends and Blizzard games.

      $10 says they already have the port underway, they're just stirring up some initial hype in it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dffx View Post
        I think they might.

        More accurately, I think that, due to their traditional close partnership with Valve, they're probably being persuaded into developing for Linux. However, this is not 1999 anymore, and Gearbox's success does not hinge on Half-Life 1 expansion sales, and they haven't been beholden to Valve for a very, very long time, and can make their own decisions. Thus they are gauging the interest to see what will come of it.

        Borderlands 1/2 are some of the most popular games to play in Wine, in part because they run so well in them. Just look at the AppDb entries for the Borderlands games -- they're some of the most active pages in the AppDb, outside of maybe League of Legends and Blizzard games.

        $10 says they already have the port underway, they're just stirring up some initial hype in it.
        Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

        Comment


        • #5
          If it's already on Mac I don't see what the trouble is, surely most of the work has already been done.

          Comment


          • #6
            Reddit Thread

            Looks like this is the reddit thread he is talking about http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...rderlands_for/

            So last weekend I was at PAX and went to the Gearbox panel.

            There they discussed how the Vita port of Borderlands 2 came to be. Essentially what happened was the Vita community made enough noise that Gearbox listened.

            Afterwards I went and asked them about a Linux port and they said that as a community we need to make ourselves heard.

            So, if you run a Linux gaming site(I know there is a few here that do) start write an article or two stating that we are a passionate group and would love it.

            If you are not you can call them out on twitter at @2k @Borderlands, @gearboxsoftware and @DuvalMagic

            Or if twitter is not your thing send them an email here: http://gearboxsoftware.com/contact

            Lets get Borderlands on Linux!

            Comment


            • #7
              It's on UE3 already.
              How much work would porting the game to UE4 be?
              That would give it Linux support right there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                It's on UE3 already.
                How much work would porting the game to UE4 be?
                That would give it Linux support right there.
                Borderlands 3 confirmed!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would buy a complete edition of Bords2 if coming to linux...even knowing that i didnt like most of FPS outthere...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by goCorinthians View Post
                    I would buy a complete edition of Bords2 if coming to linux...even knowing that i didnt like most of FPS outthere...
                    +1 (really, 5 characters per post limit?)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                      It's on UE3 already.
                      How much work would porting the game to UE4 be?
                      That would give it Linux support right there.
                      That would require an enormous amount of useless work. They could just bring it to Linux using UE3 just like Icculus ported a few UE3 titles. It shouldn't be much more work than other UE3 titles.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                        +1 (really, 5 characters per post limit?)
                        Good to know...im new around here! lol

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                          just like Icculus ported a few UE3 titles. It shouldn't be much more work than other UE3 titles.
                          As thankful as i am for Icculus' work, these ports are bug hells! dungeon defenders is almost unplayable, crashing all the time, various game mechanics broken/not implemented. It seems Icculus just tested his port with the first 2 hours of the game.. :/

                          I really wouldn't call this a port, maybe proof-of-concept, sadly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Graphics between OS X and Windows?

                            How do the graphics compare between OpenGL on OS X vs Driect3D on Windows? I hope this doesn't end up being another Metro: Last Light with significantly worse graphics and lack of an options menu.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If there is a pool of persons that have never played this game, I guess that it could be interesting for them.

                              Personally, and Im probably not alone, I have wasted so much hours in this game that there is absolutly no chance that I restart from scratch on a new platform.

                              From now on, if they support Linux in the next release of the serie (borderland 3 or the pre-sequel thing, it is a totatlly different story for me and this will be higly attractive.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X