Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRYENGINE For Linux Appears Within The Steam Database

Phoronix: CRYENGINE For Linux Appears Within The Steam Database

As a potential sign of Linux gamers soon to see CRYENGINE outside of Windows, a Steam database listing for Crytek's flagship game engine has appeared...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

On SteamDB is a link to the EULA, which seems to be for the CryEngine SDK: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/220980_eula_0 - What's interresting is this:
    This limited license agreement for the NON-COMMERCIAL use
    Does this mean we will get free access to it as long as we develop non-commercial applications? Anyway I don't think this is a sign that some cryengine based game will be released for linux in the near future.
    Last edited by V10lator; 08 April 2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      On SteamDB is a link to the EULA, which seems to be for the CryEngine SDK: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/220980_eula_0 - What's interresting is this:

Does this mean we will get free access to it as long as we develop non-commercial applications? Anyway I don't think this is a sign that some cryengine based game will be released for linux in the near future.
      I think so. You can build stuff like OpenOutcast with CryEngine SDK.

Comment

Damn edit limit, the EULA is for "CryEngine 3 Free SDK", so it looks like we really get free access.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
          Damn edit limit, the EULA is for "CryEngine 3 Free SDK", so it looks like we really get free access.
          It's a trap.

Comment

So, how will the free version differ from the commercial version?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              So, how will the free version differ from the commercial version?
              As you would expect, if you want to make profit, you have to cut them in (and also, you can't modify/reverse engineer/compete etc).
              Usual proprietary stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                As you would expect, if you want to make profit, you have to cut them in (and also, you can't modify/reverse engineer/compete etc).
                Usual proprietary stuff.
                But what if I use the free version for a year, and then at the last month I switch it to the commercial version, cutting my license cost from 12 months to only 1 month? How will they know how much of my time on the engine was spent building commercial stuff and how much of it was learning/experimenting?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  But what if I use the free version for a year, and then at the last month I switch it to the commercial version, cutting my license cost from 12 months to only 1 month? How will they know how much of my time on the engine was spent building commercial stuff and how much of it was learning/experimenting?
                  Nothing is stopping you from doing this. But you won't get any support in the first 11 months and don't have the source code of the engine.
                  Another thing is that if you use someones stuff and gain money from this you should give them their piece of the cake. This is just common sense, because if they don'T get their money, they will stop doing their stuff and everyone loses, but nowadays this doesn't seem to be something you take for granted.

Originally posted by http://www.cryengine.com/get-cryengine/ce-games
                  Crytek offers commercial developers full source licensing for larger and longer term projects that benefit from a real partnership with Crytek. Platinum Support packages are also available, with dedicated support staff, increased on-site presence and even co-development of features that interest our licensees.

Comment

Ha, the usual "can I pirate gamemaker and only buy when I'm ready to release" trail of thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X