Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Games Loves Linux, Rolls Out UE4 Linux/SteamOS Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Epic Games Loves Linux, Rolls Out UE4 Linux/SteamOS Support

    Phoronix: Epic Games Loves Linux, Rolls Out UE4 Linux/SteamOS Support

    One month after releasing Unreal Engine 4 and talking about Unreal Engine 4 Linux support, Epic Games released Unreal Engine 4.1 preview today and it's paired with first-rate Linux support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1NDM

  • #2
    Is this just deployment or does the editor work on linux? Would be great to know, I haven't been following UE4.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Is this just deployment or does the editor work on linux? Would be great to know, I haven't been following UE4.
      I haven't checked it yet. But UE4 Editor is just an application built on top of the Engine itself. It uses UE4-specific GUI toolkit called Slate that is may also be used for In-game menus. There is nothing platform-specific in the editor (apart from integration with IDE's - VS on Windows and XCode on OSX) so I think that even if editor isn't yet available for windows, it will be pretty soon.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MiKom View Post
        ... so I think that even if editor isn't yet available for windows, it will be pretty soon.
        I meant Linux there of course.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MiKom View Post
          I haven't checked it yet. But UE4 Editor is just an application built on top of the Engine itself. It uses UE4-specific GUI toolkit called Slate that is may also be used for In-game menus. There is nothing platform-specific in the editor (apart from integration with IDE's - VS on Windows and XCode on OSX) so I think that even if editor isn't yet available for windows, it will be pretty soon.
          thanks, that's the one info i've been trying to find out few times. it sheds light on editor and development under linux for ue4. source code being available just makes it more appealing than the rest, but i could never learn anything about linux workflow. you might've just costed leadwerks one license, lol

          Comment


          • #6
            The editor will come to Linux sooner or later from what I have heard.

            I'd love to have some free UE4 tech demos for benchmarking I think Michael would agree.

            Comment


            • #7
              May be they can open source Unreal Engine 1? Then may be someone can finish porting Deus Ex to Linux.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                May be they can open source Unreal Engine 1? Then may be someone can finish porting Deus Ex to Linux.
                Meh. I'd take Klingon Honor Guard instead. That game was awesome and it was the first Unreal game made.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  The editor will come to Linux sooner or later from what I have heard.

                  I'd love to have some free UE4 tech demos for benchmarking I think Michael would agree.
                  Hmm UE4.1 comes with elemental demo, wonder if that have benchmark...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Even if UE4 gets half the titles as UE3 and if only half of those are ported to linux, this is still going to be huge.

                    It'd be really interesting if there will eventually be a test for PTS too. Considering the popularity of UE, it wouldn't surprise me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                      May be they can open source Unreal Engine 1? Then may be someone can finish porting Deus Ex to Linux.
                      Well, Epic has released the source for the original Unreal, though only under NDA to a particular group of people. That's how we now have a native Linux port of Unreal.

                      By the way, Deus Ex does work perfectly though Wine, I played it just a month ago.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So these $19 per month are what? Per game you develop (way too cheap)? Per user of your game(way too expensive)? Or what?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Damian_Ivanov View Post
                          So these $19 per month are what? Per game you develop (way too cheap)? Per user of your game(way too expensive)? Or what?
                          Per developer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            Per developer.
                            Thanks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Damian_Ivanov View Post
                              Thanks.
                              actually it's $19 per developer + 5% of the companies gross revenue on the product. All of the big name engines other than Unity have a percent cut of profits on the product in their licensing scheme.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X