Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Details On Crytek's CRYENGINE Linux Engine Port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    hm

    dota 2 have the same performance in windows and linux at least with nvidia non free drivers, this type of solutions are temporary

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      One thing that i don't like too much about CRYENGINE and Source (and possibly also the efforts in UE4) is this thing of a D3D -> OGL translation layer...
      UE1 and UE2 used native OGL renderers (including on Windows), so I don't see why they would do anything different in UE4.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by johnc View Post
        Source 2 is D3D right now but I think they have plans to port it over to OGL.
        Could I get a reference to where this is stated?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by computerquip View Post
          Could I get a reference to where this is stated?
          Seems like it's more accurate to say that the shaders are D3D and they're doing the translation to GLSL like with the Source 1 engine:

          http://youtu.be/45O7WTc6k2Y?t=6m49s

          It definitely sounds like it was initially written for D3D and now they're trying to redo it in pure OpenGL.

          Comment


          • #15
            Question on Conference Dates

            Who was the brainiac who scheduled this conference during March Madness? Brainfart 101.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              UE1 and UE2 used native OGL renderers (including on Windows), so I don't see why they would do anything different in UE4.
              Because of UE3.
              At least it uses OpenGL ES on Android and Mozilla Tech demo but I don't think it would be a first choice renderer on desktop. Both Painkiller HD and Deadfall Adventure use UE3 but some features still don't work on OpenGL months after like FSAA and perhaps won't be fixed at all, so the whole thing doesn't seem to be that easy, even more for a small dev like Nordic Games.

              Comment


              • #17
                I don't understand how all these engines are doing other platforms if they're internally reliant upon Direct X support. I thought CryEngine was already running games on PlayStation 4 and Wii U, neither of which ship with Direct X. What am I missing?

                Comment


                • #18
                  Consoles force the major engines to carry a lot of abstractions, but a lot of games and engines started on a single platform.
                  Stack-wise I get the impression consoles have been ghettos with a high friction to development.
                  MS has some fairly prominent development tools and made a deliberate effort to get a lot of people to start developing with DirectX who later built their abstractions around those APIs.
                  Other platforms (Apple, Android) push for OpenGL by providing their own IDEs.
                  Nowadays there is a huge portable stack built around open-source and open standards, and newer and forward-thinking engines target that portable stack.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                    Because of UE3.
                    At least it uses OpenGL ES on Android and Mozilla Tech demo but I don't think it would be a first choice renderer on desktop. Both Painkiller HD and Deadfall Adventure use UE3 but some features still don't work on OpenGL months after like FSAA and perhaps won't be fixed at all, so the whole thing doesn't seem to be that easy, even more for a small dev like Nordic Games.
                    I'm not saying that the OGL renderer will necessarily be at feature parity with the D3D renderers, but rather that it will be a native OGL renderer without a translation layer. That's how it is in UT2004: the OpenGL renderer has some flaws (most notably it limits the length of material combiner chains, unlike the D3D renderer, which means very complex materials don't look right), but it's running natively.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      Who was the brainiac who scheduled this conference during March Madness? Brainfart 101.
                      What is march madness?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X