Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crytek Announces "EaaS" For Indie Game Developers

Phoronix: Crytek Announces "EaaS" For Indie Game Developers

The latest exciting announcement for gamers and game developers out of this week's GDC is word of Crytek starting an "Engine-as-a-Service" program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How would cryengine be for a 2D sidescroller? I was looking at unity but at 9 bucks a month and announced linux support this is hard to pass up.

Comment

Interesting new developments... Gaming on Linux. Who knew.

Comment

They also announced that their engine will support Mantle. And since Mantle should be open source and cross-platform, it gives hope that we can finally have something that will kill DirectX and OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
          They also announced that their engine will support Mantle. And since Mantle should be open source and cross-platform, it gives hope that we can finally have something that will kill DirectX and OpenGL.
          yeah, very interesting. Exciting linux times Still they need to confirm that it both will work together in linux.
          Lockheed

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            How would cryengine be for a 2D sidescroller? I was looking at unity but at 9 bucks a month and announced linux support this is hard to pass up.
            Probably not very good. Cryengine and Unreal Engine are 3D, not 2D engines. I think you'd be better off with Godot.

Comment

I sure hope 9$/user/month actually means 9$/developer/month, otherwise this would be mighty expensive

Did I miss something? Since when has Mantle been open source? So far AMD has _promised_ to make it an open API (which would make it the same as OpenGL), but they've never said anything about open source. And, afaik, Linux support isn't coming.

Comment

You apparently haven't been reading the news lately, haven't you? Khronos Group and Microsoft have stated that it is possible to rework the codebase for their respective APIs and remove the overhead that causes the disparity in performance vs. Mantle.1 Speaking of which, there might be talks about it at GDC. I don't understand your reasoning, why would you ditch a piece of software that has been around and actively developed for 20 years? Age does not mean it's bloated and slow. I for one would rather see the HW manufacturers finally remove the fscking VGA port from all laptops, it's 2014 outside for Pete's sake. While at it, have a larger selection of CD/DVD-drive-less laptops.

1) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/dir...tle,26167.html

Comment

A lot of games use a 3D engine for a 2D game - Trine being one particularly prominent example. That being said, if you're unsure then drop them an email and explain your situation, it may fall into 'possible but a bit awkward' category.

Comment

I think you're missing one important point. Here's a quote from the press release:
                    for a monthly subscription fee of 9,90 USD/EUR per user
                    10 bucks per user per month, and that's a whole different story! Also, hell if I know who's a user by their definition!

Comment

Working...
                    X