Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

February 2014 Steam Hardware Survey Shows Linux At 1.3%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • February 2014 Steam Hardware Survey Shows Linux At 1.3%

    Phoronix: February 2014 Steam Hardware Survey Shows Linux At 1.3%

    According to the latest figures published by Valve for their "Steam Hardware Survey", they put the percent of Linux gamers on Steam at 1.30%...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxOTI

  • #2
    no linux preinstalled no uptake.

    Comment


    • #3
      According to that survey, I don't use Steam. I'm on Mint 15 64bit still and that doesn't show up anywhere in that list. But then again I haven't been offered the survey in probably over a year now. For whatever reason they decided to not list "Other" at all this month, which is likely comprised mostly of Linux users on distros that weren't popular enough to get their own listings. Probably about a 3rd of participating Linux users aren't being represented there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by IanS View Post
        According to that survey, I don't use Steam. I'm on Mint 15 64bit still and that doesn't show up anywhere in that list. But then again I haven't been offered the survey in probably over a year now. For whatever reason they decided to not list "Other" at all this month, which is likely comprised mostly of Linux users on distros that weren't popular enough to get their own listings. Probably about a 3rd of participating Linux users aren't being represented there.
        The survey is random as **** but I think it isn't too far off. I haven't had the survey running under Windows for ages, but in December had it twice under Ubuntu. Also some Linux users might tend to not submit the survey because of paranoia (oh no, Valve is spying on me... yeah that's why they ask you instead of just sending your system details in the dark...).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IanS View Post
          According to that survey, I don't use Steam. I'm on Mint 15 64bit still and that doesn't show up anywhere in that list. But then again I haven't been offered the survey in probably over a year now. For whatever reason they decided to not list "Other" at all this month, which is likely comprised mostly of Linux users on distros that weren't popular enough to get their own listings. Probably about a 3rd of participating Linux users aren't being represented there.
          If you select Linux Only, you can still view the "Other" category. Almost 40% of the Linux users are using unlisted alternatives.

          Comment


          • #6
            there is no reason yet
            personally I'm just waiting for my Win7 to crap out (gonna happen sooner or later, right? ) and after that I can go to experimenting with linux again and maybe settling down (i.e. having a go through various distros and trying how they feel on pure metal as compared to VM)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
              If you select Linux Only, you can still view the "Other" category. Almost 40% of the Linux users are using unlisted alternatives.
              Good catch, didn't see that filter on my first look at the stats.

              Looking at the numbers, the 1.3% should be accurate now, with most of the old "Other' properly attributed now. So at least based on the survey (which is still likely quite biased against Linux) we are right around a million Linux users on Steam now, based on the more than 75 million Steam users number given by Valve a month or two back.

              Comment


              • #8
                "This number still isn't too different from prior months unless debating tenths of a percent."
                I guess spellcheck wouldn't catch that

                With the Steam Hardware Survey results now allowing to be broken down by OS, it shows that NVIDIA is most popular for Linux gamers with 52% use, Intel at 16%, and AMD at 31%. Intel processors are mostly present at 74%. Most Linux gamers are running with just 4GB of RAM and two CPU cores.
                Um, no. The breakdown only affects the lower part of the page - text - not the graphs. The real numbers are 76.7% for Intel and 23.28% for AMD; 3GB is the most popular RAM config (8GB is 2nd most popular). 2 CPUs is right.
                There is no breakdown by videocard for linux..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Now that there's a real breakdown by OS, it's obvious that some numbers are approximated.
                  The 1.3% for Linux should be closer to 1.34% (otherwise the "Linux/Other" doesn't add up). Coincidentally, the monthly change seems to be off by that much.

                  Doesn't change the numbers in the grand scheme of things, of course...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Fry-kun View Post
                    Um, no. The breakdown only affects the lower part of the page - text - not the graphs. The real numbers are 76.7% for Intel and 23.28% for AMD; 3GB is the most popular RAM config (8GB is 2nd most popular). 2 CPUs is right.
                    There is no breakdown by videocard for linux..
                    75% Intel and 0% NVIDIA? That doesn't sound right at all...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X