Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razer's DeathAdder 6400 DPI Gaming Mouse On Linux

Phoronix: Razer's DeathAdder 6400 DPI Gaming Mouse On Linux

While new games continue to be announced for Linux almost daily and Valve's SteamOS and Steam Machines efforts are pushing more hardware vendors towards looking at Linux support, leading gaming peripheral manufacturer Razer still goes without Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ROCCAT has had open source drivers for Linux for years now. Here's more information on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
      ROCCAT has had open source drivers for Linux for years now. Here's more information on the subject.
      I was about to ask which gaming mouse companies do offer Linux drivers, thanks for the link. My next will probably be a ROCCAT.

Comment

Roccat ftw!

i have Roccat Arvo keyboard and Kova+ mouse, both have macro, tweaking utilities for linux
        can change dpi, lights, macros, easy shift buttons etc with a GUI..

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
          I was about to ask which gaming mouse companies do offer Linux drivers, thanks for the link. My next will probably be a ROCCAT.
          You're welcome. The guy who makes the open source Linux drivers made several posts in that topic under the name erazor_de. Informative stuff.

Comment

I?ve been using Roccat peripherals for a few years now, and I can confirm they are working fine on Linux. Although I have no idea how to set the custom buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
              I?ve been using Roccat peripherals for a few years now, and I can confirm they are working fine on Linux. Although I have no idea how to set the custom buttons.
              Hope this helps:

Originally posted by ROCCAT
              If you have any questions or if you have any problems during the installation process, please contact the driver programmer here: http://sourceforge.net/users/erazor_de

Comment

I have a classic DeathAdder. It's pretty nice, although I'm yet to find out why one would ever need to change the DPI (as opposed to changing OS mouse settings). I bought it for the durability, ergonomics and button layout.

Comment

Personally, I'm not fond of generic devices that REQUIRE 3rd party drivers, even in Windows. I also don't care for a DPI that high, and I don't like spending a lot of money on a product that will break down around the same time as something worth less than half the price (assuming I take care of it).

I don't hate the Razer company, I just never found their products appealing to me personally.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Personally, I'm not fond of generic devices that REQUIRE 3rd party drivers, even in Windows. I also don't care for a DPI that high, and I don't like spending a lot of money on a product that will break down around the same time as something worth less than half the price (assuming I take care of it).

I don't hate the Razer company, I just never found their products appealing to me personally.
                    I have a Razer Lycosa (a keyboard), which works perfectly well as-is under Linux.

I also have a Madcatz (formerly Cyborg) R.A.T. 5 mouse, which requires the following to be added to xorg.conf, but works perfectly thereafter:
                    Code:
                    Section "InputClass"
                    	Identifier             "Cyborg RAT 5"
                    	MatchProduct       "R.A.T.5|R.A.T.7|R.A.T.9"
                    	MatchDevicePath  "/dev/input/event*"
                    	Option                "Buttons" "17"
                    	Option	         "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 4 5 0 0 8 9 7 6 12 0 0 0 16 17"
                    	Option                "AutoReleaseButtons" "13 14 15"
                    	Option	         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
                    EndSection
                    My main problem with Razer is their new configuration tool for the Lycosa - if you want to store any key bindings or configuration options then you need to use their tool to do so. However, the new tool requires you to create an account with them. That's why I'm not so keen on them.

I've generally found that 'gaming' equipment lasts longer that cheap counterparts, but I'm probably comparing opposite ends of the scale. I tend not to be bothered about the cost of a keyboard/mouse so much as how it feels to use it - given how often I use them both I'll happily pay extra for something I like the feel of.

Comment

Working...
                    X