Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New SteamOS Beta Has Non-UEFI Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Слободан View Post
    Why would anyone use SteamOS when they can just use Ubuntu (or whatever distro) and install Steam?
    So they can help Valve beta (it's more like an alpha at this stage) test their Linux distribution.

    Comment


    • #12
      This is actually remarkable. They've taken onboard the improvements of a popular unofficial derivative by merging this in. What other console OS is this savvy, or even permits such a thing to happen under its license terms?

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Слободан View Post
        Why would anyone use SteamOS when they can just use Ubuntu (or whatever distro) and install Steam?
        To test their hardware/games/distros against SteamOS, which is the standard stack. If your indie game runs well on SteamOS you know it'll run well on all Steam Machines. If some game runs on SteamOS but not on your distro you know something is wrong in your repository.

        SteamOS is more of a standard stack that developers and hardware manufacturers can target, instead of having to test against countless number of distributions.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Слободан View Post
          It doesn't even boot up to Steam, you have to manually run it.
          Only if you haven't properly finalized the installation.

          Comment


          • #15
            Oh, since I've logged in & stuff...

            Ye Olde SteamOSe is mine, this news post is about Valve merging in my work (plus a contributor, Michael Waltz).

            AMA.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by directhex View Post
              Oh, since I've logged in & stuff...

              Ye Olde SteamOSe is mine, this news post is about Valve merging in my work (plus a contributor, Michael Waltz).

              AMA.
              When can we expect you to update your resume to reflect your new employer?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by Midnitte View Post
                When can we expect you to update your resume to reflect your new employer?
                It's pure community work.

                Would Valve offer me a job? Their hiring requirements are so insanely high (much higher than Google's) I really don't see it happening. They don't hire people just for being "good", they hire them for being "utterly incredible"

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by directhex View Post
                  It's pure community work.

                  Would Valve offer me a job? Their hiring requirements are so insanely high (much higher than Google's) I really don't see it happening. They don't hire people just for being "good", they hire them for being "utterly incredible"
                  Well I think you're "utterly incredible" in your own right

                  Thanks to you and future contributors we'll see this OS version mature a lot faster and get a lot of more people using it.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by directhex View Post
                    Oh, since I've logged in & stuff...

                    Ye Olde SteamOSe is mine, this news post is about Valve merging in my work (plus a contributor, Michael Waltz).

                    AMA.
                    Is organically fed meat more ethical than grain-fed?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Is organically fed meat more ethical than grain-fed?
                      A bigger issue than the feedstock - assuming it vaguely resembles the animal's natural diet - is sufficient space for natural behaviours like "moving". Battery-farmed meat isn't ethical, but is *is* cheap.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X