Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteamOS Has Its Own Graphics Compositor

Phoronix: SteamOS Has Its Own Graphics Compositor

More details regarding the Debian-based SteamOS are emerging. There's also a SteamOS installer now available but the server is getting slaughtered at the moment by those trying to download SteamOS...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0MzU

In terms of why Valve went with Debian Wheezy over Ubuntu, the FAQ reads, "Building on top of the Debian core is the best way for Valve to deliver a fully custom SteamOS experience to our customers."
    In other words they don't want to base on a distro that is more and more "doing it's own thing".

Comment

So, technically OSS, but not using an outward facing source repo only this TERRIBLE http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos/pool/main/ index of files...which is SLOW to access.
      For instance, what the hell is their compositor called? Not using something like git makes it so much harder to find.

Comment

I hope they create a IRC channel on Freenode and a mailing list in the future and put some of their stuf fon Github.

Comment

In the FAQ there is also a sentence about being capable of running in desktop mode and seamlessly running and installing debian packages.

I personally thing that this is going to be very exciting for all of us.

Comment

Yeah looks like currently this is an openelec style install appliance, in that it requires the entire machine.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              So, technically OSS, but not using an outward facing source repo only this TERRIBLE http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos/pool/main/ index of files...which is SLOW to access.
              For instance, what the hell is their compositor called? Not using something like git makes it so much harder to find.
              maybe this:
              http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos...os-compositor/

Comment

Running an old Ati 3870 atm.... that will change for sure come tax time! I can not wait to give SteamOS a go! Debian Wheezy...!! /happy dance!

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
                  So it's basically a modified xcompmgr. Nothing fancy.

Comment

The big question is, is it a media player too, so that people can replace their XBMC or Media PC's that are stationed at their TV's. If not Value/SteamOS has made a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      The big question is, is it a media player too, so that people can replace their XBMC or Media PC's that are stationed at their TV's. If not Value/SteamOS has made a big mistake.
                      It would take an awful lot of effort to replace something like XBMC. That's a lot of code. It would be better to just have an option to switch between the two interfaces. Though I do understand that Valve wants to get into the media services stuff eventually.

Comment

This required UEFI support... what does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                          This required UEFI support... what does that mean?
                          UEFI=Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

Means that the motherboard needs to support a BIOS wrapper to upstage older PC compatibility and deliver new BIOS era.

Comment

SteamOS appears to be using linux 3.10 - PREEMPT_RT_FULL (unsurprisingly) with a heavy amount of patching (282 patches for -rt in the 'all' architectures/folder, alone). The kernel is also using aufs and they seem to be sitting on some bug fixes for upstream on top of that.

Some of the -rt related hacks they are using i have seen (in one case, i am using the same patch for ntrig)... It looks like they have gone to a lot of effort getting the kernel just right for their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                              It would take an awful lot of effort to replace something like XBMC. That's a lot of code. It would be better to just have an option to switch between the two interfaces. Though I do understand that Valve wants to get into the media services stuff eventually.
                              Note sure if I agree. It maybe as simple as installing libav/ffmpeg and having the controls in the interface to link to the files.
                              Last edited by e8hffff; 12-13-2013, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X