Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SteamOS Has Its Own Graphics Compositor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SteamOS Has Its Own Graphics Compositor

    Phoronix: SteamOS Has Its Own Graphics Compositor

    More details regarding the Debian-based SteamOS are emerging. There's also a SteamOS installer now available but the server is getting slaughtered at the moment by those trying to download SteamOS...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0MzU

  • #2
    In terms of why Valve went with Debian Wheezy over Ubuntu, the FAQ reads, "Building on top of the Debian core is the best way for Valve to deliver a fully custom SteamOS experience to our customers."
    In other words they don't want to base on a distro that is more and more "doing it's own thing".

    Comment


    • #3
      So, technically OSS, but not using an outward facing source repo only this TERRIBLE http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos/pool/main/ index of files...which is SLOW to access.
      For instance, what the hell is their compositor called? Not using something like git makes it so much harder to find.

      Comment


      • #4
        I hope they create a IRC channel on Freenode and a mailing list in the future and put some of their stuf fon Github.

        Comment


        • #5
          In the FAQ there is also a sentence about being capable of running in desktop mode and seamlessly running and installing debian packages.

          I personally thing that this is going to be very exciting for all of us.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah looks like currently this is an openelec style install appliance, in that it requires the entire machine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by liam View Post
              So, technically OSS, but not using an outward facing source repo only this TERRIBLE http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos/pool/main/ index of files...which is SLOW to access.
              For instance, what the hell is their compositor called? Not using something like git makes it so much harder to find.
              maybe this:
              http://repo.steampowered.com/steamos...os-compositor/

              Comment


              • #8
                Running an old Ati 3870 atm.... that will change for sure come tax time! I can not wait to give SteamOS a go! Debian Wheezy...!! /happy dance!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
                  So it's basically a modified xcompmgr. Nothing fancy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The big question is, is it a media player too, so that people can replace their XBMC or Media PC's that are stationed at their TV's. If not Value/SteamOS has made a big mistake.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      The big question is, is it a media player too, so that people can replace their XBMC or Media PC's that are stationed at their TV's. If not Value/SteamOS has made a big mistake.
                      It would take an awful lot of effort to replace something like XBMC. That's a lot of code. It would be better to just have an option to switch between the two interfaces. Though I do understand that Valve wants to get into the media services stuff eventually.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        This required UEFI support... what does that mean?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by johnc View Post
                          This required UEFI support... what does that mean?
                          UEFI=Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

                          Means that the motherboard needs to support a BIOS wrapper to upstage older PC compatibility and deliver new BIOS era.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            SteamOS appears to be using linux 3.10 - PREEMPT_RT_FULL (unsurprisingly) with a heavy amount of patching (282 patches for -rt in the 'all' architectures/folder, alone). The kernel is also using aufs and they seem to be sitting on some bug fixes for upstream on top of that.

                            Some of the -rt related hacks they are using i have seen (in one case, i am using the same patch for ntrig)... It looks like they have gone to a lot of effort getting the kernel just right for their needs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by johnc View Post
                              It would take an awful lot of effort to replace something like XBMC. That's a lot of code. It would be better to just have an option to switch between the two interfaces. Though I do understand that Valve wants to get into the media services stuff eventually.
                              Note sure if I agree. It maybe as simple as installing libav/ffmpeg and having the controls in the interface to link to the files.
                              Last edited by e8hffff; 12-13-2013, 08:49 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X