Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egosoft's X3: Reunion For Linux

Phoronix: Egosoft's X3: Reunion For Linux

Last week we mentioned that X3: Reunion for Linux was going forward with beta testing, which is going on ten months after Linux Game Publishing originally announced they would be porting this X2 - The Threat sequel. Well, those fortunate to have closed-beta access privileges at Linux Game Publishing were finally greeted with the X3: Reunion Linux binary yesterday. In addition to the Linux binary, there is also support for DragonflyBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. X3: Reunion was originally supposed to ship for Linux back in August, but seeing as the closed beta testing hadn't even started until yesterday, don't expect the final release until the first half of 2008.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

don't expect the final release until the first half of 2008.
    Well, that my friends, just sucks.

Comment

this is pure insanity. why are the thinking anyone will pay 50+ euros for a game that's YEARS old? how on earth is this marketing strategy going to work? it would be a little more understandble, if the game was an all time classic, which it surely isn't. it more appeals to the hardcore space traders out there. not even i'm that interested in this game and i liked the original X pretty much (not X2 though).

Comment

Originally posted by eNTi View Post
        this is pure insanity. why are the thinking anyone will pay 50+ euros for a game that's YEARS old? how on earth is this marketing strategy going to work? it would be a little more understandble, if the game was an all time classic, which it surely isn't. it more appeals to the hardcore space traders out there. not even i'm that interested in this game and i liked the original X pretty much (not X2 though).
        Then DON'T buy it. I'm definitely not going to twist your arm to make you do it. There's other titles on the way, but I don't QUITE get the "Years old" line since I've seen the thing on the shelves at stores for $40 or so in the States as recently as 1-2 weeks ago and this isn't old stock.

Comment

Well, this is a good title to have on Linux, albeit a more timely release would have been more interesting. I am no X(number) fan, but this is good for the Linux gaming community in general.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Egosoft's X3: Reunion For Linux

Last week we mentioned that X3: Reunion for Linux was going forward with beta testing, which is going on ten months after Linux Game Publishing originally announced they would be porting this X2 - The Threat sequel. Well, those fortunate to have closed-beta access privileges at Linux Game Publishing were finally greeted with the X3: Reunion Linux binary yesterday. In addition to the Linux binary, there is also support for DragonflyBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. X3: Reunion was originally supposed to ship for Linux back in August, but seeing as the closed beta testing hadn't even started until yesterday, don't expect the final release until the first half of 2008.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11402
            Now that Egosoft has announced the new X3: Terran Conflict, has there been anything more on this one? Its been pretty quiet for six months now.

Just curious. I liked X2, and was hoping X3 dealt with some of the issues in the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by eNTi View Post
              A. X4 has yet to be released. More-ever, X3 community is very much alive. (Same goes for X2, BTW). If anything, AFAIK Egosoft is planning a new X3 expansion pack.
              B. X3 game-play (and graphics) have yet to be suppressed by other games. (At least as far as I'm aware).
              C. Nobody is forcing you to buy the game.
              D. If you believe that you can do better than LGP - go right ahead.

Random rants aside, X3 is shaping very nicely (I'm one of the Beta testers) - both performance and quality wise.
              On a general note, if you want to support Linux-gaming, spend 50$ on a native Linux game instead of spending 30$ on a Windows game. (That may or may not run reliably under Wine)

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                On a general note, if you want to support Linux-gaming, spend 50$ on a native Linux game instead of spending 30$ on a Windows game. (That may or may not run reliably under Wine)
                - Gilboa
                Same premise as Svartalf, and the same error, if you really want to bring customers from Windows to Linux, you need to at least price the software at the same point or even better, not the other way; if you pay Windows one time you can get access to cheaper versions of the same games, so if you buy 3 or 4 Windows games whose Linux versions carry the price premium you save the money to pay that Windows license, and still can buy all the Windows only games that don't work on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
                  Same premise as Svartalf, and the same error, if you really want to bring customers from Windows to Linux, you need to at least price the software at the same point or even better, not the other way; if you pay Windows one time you can get access to cheaper versions of the same games, so if you buy 3 or 4 Windows games whose Linux versions carry the price premium you save the money to pay that Windows license, and still can buy all the Windows only games that don't work on Linux.
                  I wish market "rules" were as simple. The problem is the sheer number of users on both ends. The end with less users has to offer their goods for a higher price to even try and make a margin, which with a broader audience is easier to attain with a lower price, add to the mix offer and demand law, interest, etc... And you have bloody and messy market.

Comment

Do the mods work with the linux version?

Comment

Working...
                    X