Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Begins Landing SteamOS Changes In Steam Client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
    Seriously, who thought SteamOS would be a full fledged Operating System compared to Windows or Fedora/Ubuntu etc.
    SteamOS is steam on top of GNU/Linux and nothing else. Maybe some more features, but that's about it.

    They never claimed anything else. It's for gaming, that's all.
    Idiots.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
      Seriously, who thought SteamOS would be a full fledged Operating System compared to Windows or Fedora/Ubuntu etc.
      SteamOS is steam on top of GNU/Linux and nothing else. Maybe some more features, but that's about it.

      They never claimed anything else. It's for gaming, that's all.
      Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Idiots.
      yeah really it was like calling Ubuntu a Gaming OS when really Ubuntu was made for Grandma why do you think the fucking side bar is so damn Big

      Comment


      • #13
        The latest steam big picture mode contains Interface->Allow access to linux desktop checkbox (tested under steam -steamos), so it does not seem they totally ignore the possibility.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
          If VALVE would install KDE maybe with their steam-theme SteamOS and therefore Linux would become a serious alternative for Desktop Computing and Gaming.
          SteamOS is not here to promote Linux. It's here to promote Steam. They're not interested in Desktop Computing. They are interested in selling video games.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
            The problem is not me. I build my pcs by myself. If VALVE would install KDE maybe with their steam-theme SteamOS and therefore Linux would become a serious alternative for Desktop Computing and Gaming.
            But the normal stupid user is not able to do something different than use the predefined system. Thus i really hope VALVE does install any Desktop Environment. There is really no need the reinvent the wheel.
            I am pretty sure valve will not even have a display server installed on SteamOS, has SteamOS is intended to run one software in full screen and everything else is an overlay on top of it, so will most likely use the frame buffer for optimum performance.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by volca View Post
              The latest steam big picture mode contains Interface->Allow access to linux desktop checkbox (tested under steam -steamos), so it does not seem they totally ignore the possibility.
              it may have a desktop but i think it mostly will be for developers

              Comment


              • #17
                Like it was sayed already.
                Steam OS it is just big picture with a linux kernel behing a a few packages, just essential for gaming on it.
                Big picture + auto-updates + some multimedia thing.

                But essential is a operating system design to have on a TV, to be used with a gamepad.
                Not to be used with kb/m and to do our daily work.

                I guess most of the people didn't get it, and still dreaming of having libreoffice there and CAD applications, i laugh hard when they say that

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
                  Like it was sayed already.
                  Steam OS it is just big picture with a linux kernel behing a a few packages, just essential for gaming on it.
                  Big picture + auto-updates + some multimedia thing.

                  But essential is a operating system design to have on a TV, to be used with a gamepad.
                  Not to be used with kb/m and to do our daily work.

                  I guess most of the people didn't get it, and still dreaming of having libreoffice there and CAD applications, i laugh hard when they say that
                  we have openSUSE Fedora and Debian for work and Steam OS for gaming

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    yeah really it was like calling Ubuntu a Gaming OS when really Ubuntu was made for Grandma why do you think the fucking side bar is so damn Big
                    Indeed that sidebar is pretty big by default. But you can adjust the size and make it smaller.

                    Gaming on Ubuntu will will have the same result as gaming on SteamOS.
                    Don't believe me? Just wait and see...

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      SteamOS is not here to promote Linux. It's here to promote Steam. They're not interested in Desktop Computing. They are interested in selling video games.
                      They already have the steam client for desktop computing anyway. =p

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X