Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

    Phoronix: Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

    Leadwerks, one of the recent commercial game engines that's being ported to Linux following a successful Kickstarter campaign, has shared more of their Linux game engine progress from a developer's perspective...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwODQ

  • #2
    It took me a while to realize you have to hit "continue" once or twice when the application starts, because GDB pauses the program when it connects. This is a bizarre design choice that lead to lost hours of productivity.
    It took hours to realise that you hit c after an attach? This is documented in man page: "If you would rather the process continue running, you may use the continue command after attaching gdb to the process"

    GDB itself is not a complete debugger; it shows variables only in the top-most function in the call stack
    Someone really needs to read the gdb manual: frame command.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have found Linux to be a completely viable platform for application development.
      You don't say

      Comment


      • #4
        Typically I have found once I get to the point of entering random terminal commands I find from Google, it's over anyways, and the only thing to do is reinstall the OS.

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh my god, he's a developer, he ports engines to linux and he doesn't know how to install and uninstall a stupid driver?
          Ok, maybe Ubuntu sucks but what the hell: I have dynamic switching from FOSS to proprietary drivers and to different vendor's graphic cards in my gentoo box, it really isn't that hard. On the contrary it's VERY easy to achieve it.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Oh my god, he's a developer, he ports engines to linux and he doesn't know how to install and uninstall a stupid driver?
            that alone would be hilarious, but he also talks proud of it... >.>

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Oh my god, he's a developer, he ports engines to linux and he doesn't know how to install and uninstall a stupid driver?
              Ok, maybe Ubuntu sucks but what the hell: I have dynamic switching from FOSS to proprietary drivers and to different vendor's graphic cards in my gentoo box, it really isn't that hard. On the contrary it's VERY easy to achieve it.
              Actually, there are some basic gotchas that are not really obvious, such as Nouveau drivers not being blacklisted after installing ATi drivers and then uninstalling. If you know what to look at, fixing this is easy. But you have to know that you should be looking for the Xorg output logs, or syslog, or the output from lsmod to be able to diagnose this.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                It took hours to realise that you hit c after an attach? This is documented in man page: "If you would rather the process continue running, you may use the continue command after attaching gdb to the process"



                Someone really needs to read the gdb manual: frame command.
                I was saddened not to be able to comment on the original blog post - I've used gdb for years for many tasks, and it's perfectly suited to debugging in all the scenarios I ran into. If you want something more GUI oriented, I would recommend Totalview (assuming you are prepared to pay for it).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Article
                  his isn't too much of a surprise and game developers have found this GNU debugger to be crap.
                  Got any sources for that lovely bit of FUD there, Michael?

                  And yeah, it seems like someone really ought to have RTFM here. Why do we even need to tell developers this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Leadwerks "developer":
                    I just use the Code::Blocks interface. I will not use a command-line interface for a debugger.
                    Well, uhmm, yeah...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So is wrong with the GDB debugger? I hate to see Steam/Valve working on there own, if there is some simple things they could fix in an open source debugger.

                      The good thing about open source is you can fix and change. What makes the GDB debugger so bad? I find it extreamly useful and nice. The only big annoyance I ever had with it was some argument between the Compler and Debugger peoples about how C++ constructors worked. Couldn't set break points. I figure they got that figured out by now, that was like 10 years ago.

                      So, why create a new debugger, what is wrong with GDB, just don't say "its crap" what could be fixed in it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by matobinder View Post
                        So is wrong with the GDB debugger? I hate to see Steam/Valve working on there own, if there is some simple things they could fix in an open source debugger.

                        The good thing about open source is you can fix and change. What makes the GDB debugger so bad? I find it extreamly useful and nice. The only big annoyance I ever had with it was some argument between the Compler and Debugger peoples about how C++ constructors worked. Couldn't set break points. I figure they got that figured out by now, that was like 10 years ago.

                        So, why create a new debugger, what is wrong with GDB, just don't say "its crap" what could be fixed in it.
                        GDB tech is fine, but it's unintuitive and difficult to use. If you've only ever used GDB, you don't know what you're missing. Try debugging on other platforms to see how it should be done.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          GDB itself is not a complete debugger; it shows variables only in the top-most function in the call stack
                          Oh, god...
                          Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                          GDB tech is fine, but it's unintuitive and difficult to use. If you've only ever used GDB, you don't know what you're missing. Try debugging on other platforms to see how it should be done.
                          Last time I tried Visual Studio (2008) it didn't really seem better than GDB. What other platforms are you thinking of?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            @Michael Larabel

                            Please fix your article to avoid possible flame war:

                            Originally posted by Michael Larabel
                            The Leadwerks game engine editor is using GTK over Qt. The process only took a few days and is moving along but there are some bugs to work out. GTK was used over Qt to fit into their editor tool's design more cleanly. The developers also prefer the "native look and feel" of GTK.
                            He clearly states that he prefers GTK over their home made GUI, not Qt:

                            I greatly prefer the native look and feel GTK gives us, rather than using our own
                            "home made" GUI.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by siavashserver View Post
                              @Michael Larabel

                              Please fix your article to avoid possible flame war:
                              You say that like you think it wasn't the whole intent of that comment by Michael in the first place.

                              He clearly states that he prefers GTK over their home made GUI, not Qt:
                              Yep, Qt is never mentioned anywhere.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X