Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football Manager Shows More Linux GPU Driver Bugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Football Manager Shows More Linux GPU Driver Bugs

    Phoronix: Football Manager Shows More Linux GPU Driver Bugs

    Football Manager 2014 went into beta last week on Steam for Linux. While it shouldn't be too surprising to the Phoronix-reading Linux graphics enthusiasts, the new non-FPS game has illustrated new Linux graphics driver bugs...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MjA

  • #2
    There is something more important and worrying going on.
    It seems that ignorance has survived even with switching to Linux (or should I say - Windows, I mean - Ubuntu????):



    Picture above, clickable.
    This is why I DO NOT SUPPORT PROPRIETARY.
    The guy clearly stated - its NOT graphics driver bug, and the response is ignorant "we only support windows"-type. Embarrassing! Minor distro - okay, but NOT DEBIAN.
    Last edited by brosis; 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by brosis View Post
      The guy clearly stated - its NOT graphics driver bug, and the response is ignorant "we only support windows"-type. Embarrassing! Minor distro - okay, but NOT DEBIAN.
      indeed, user reply:
      It looks like lighting_cache.skc is populated based on floating number values from ".local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Football Manager 2014/data/sigfx/misc/lighting.xml" and if your regional settings happen not to use period as decimal mark it gets mostly filled with zeroes.
      I think they are not used to fix it myself linux user mentality...

      Comment


      • #4
        Well he's just a community manager guy that answer posts. Can't blame him for not being a Linux guru.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah let's not be too harsh as there are going to be a lot of growing pains as people learn the Linux ropes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Way to go Mick, blame amd drivers when its nowt to do with them .

            No wonder they don't send nowt for you to review

            Are you going to do an article on bad coding devs and one to retract said amd/intel/nvidia driver bashing?

            It appears to be a locale setting that causes it after all said and done.


            Pete.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by brosis View Post
              There is something more important and worrying going on.
              It seems that ignorance has survived even with switching to Linux (or should I say - Windows, I mean - Ubuntu????):

              This is why I DO NOT SUPPORT PROPRIETARY.
              The guy clearly stated - its NOT graphics driver bug, and the response is ignorant "we only support windows"-type. Embarrassing! Minor distro - okay, but NOT DEBIAN.
              wtf is wrong with you. There are two 'official' people in that thread, one seems to be a community manager and most of those are...well let's just say I don't like those people 80% of the time. They're marketing people and behave like marketing people. The second guy in that thread seems to be a developer that knows what's going on and in the end it's (once again) the LANG=C thing. (this would be the ...3rd game I know where the Language setting (specifically the usage of . and , in numbers) was not taken into account).

              Now, what would really interest me, is what that has to do with GPUs? Michael?
              Last edited by Detructor; 10-21-2013, 12:40 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                In other words, the Debian user fixed the problem by transferring a copy of the lighting_cache.skc file from the Windows version of Football Manager to the Linux version and the graphics worked out fine?

                If that's the case, doesn't that simply mean that it is the particular file that is broken under the Linux version of FM?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                  Way to go Mick, blame amd drivers when its nowt to do with them .

                  No wonder they don't send nowt for you to review

                  Are you going to do an article on bad coding devs and one to retract said amd/intel/nvidia driver bashing?

                  It appears to be a locale setting that causes it after all said and done.


                  Pete.
                  The graphics are messed up, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it's a problem with the graphics stack? If my graphics were messed up, I'm not going to assume a problem with the locale setting, that's counter-intuitive. Give the guy a break, so he didn't go hunting through some forum thread to uncover the real reason, you're expecting too much.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    In other words, the Debian user fixed the problem by transferring a copy of the lighting_cache.skc file from the Windows version of Football Manager to the Linux version and the graphics worked out fine?

                    If that's the case, doesn't that simply mean that it is the particular file that is broken under the Linux version of FM?
                    DEBIAN IS NOT SUPPORTED. The unsupported guy fixed the problem.

                    Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    wtf is wrong with you. There are two 'official' people in that thread, one seems to be a community manager and most of those are...well let's just say I don't like those people 80% of the time. They're marketing people and behave like marketing people. The second guy in that thread seems to be a developer that knows what's going on and in the end it's (once again) the LANG=C thing. (this would be the ...3rd game I know where the Language setting (specifically the usage of . and , in numbers) was not taken into account).

                    Now, what would really interest me, is what that has to do with GPUs? Michael?
                    Whats wrong with me? I want that people FIRED.
                    If they limit themself only to one platform use case, they can express this in a much more convenient way. Example:
                    "Thanks for reporting. Unfortunately we have limited resources and can't confirm or deny this outside of our reference environiment."
                    yet maybe move own brains a bit and setup virtual machine with this platform - plan about 20-40 minutes or suspend the case. Time management 101.
                    More eyes, more use cases, less space for bugs to hide. Perfectly understandable to have limited time resources - ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE PROPRIETARY (*smirk* *smirk*); but read the thread title yourself:

                    Having a problem with FM on Linux? READ HERE FIRST

                    And his response:
                    You're using an unsupported OS - this won't occur if you are using the OS we are supporting - Ubuntu12.04LTS

                    It was Windows,
                    now its different name - Ubuntu,
                    what changed? Same stupid mindset, called INFLEXIBILITY, in economics synonym for CARTEL, grandson of MONOPOLY, arch-enemy of anything open-, libre- or innovative-.
                    We have this over and over again.

                    Yes, probably they need time, a lot of time, to adapt and learn.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                      The graphics are messed up, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume it's a problem with the graphics stack? If my graphics were messed up, I'm not going to assume a problem with the locale setting, that's counter-intuitive. Give the guy a break, so he didn't go hunting through some forum thread to uncover the real reason, you're expecting too much.
                      No not really, I was expecting real journalism maybe, ya know research and all that! Instead of sensationalism. After all, it's supposed to be a *nix tech site.

                      sorry my bad


                      Pete.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by brosis View Post
                        before it was windows, now it's a different name - ubuntu
                        Exactly

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by brosis View Post
                          DEBIAN IS NOT SUPPORTED. The unsupported guy fixed the problem.



                          Whats wrong with me? I want that people FIRED.
                          If they limit themself only to one platform use case, they can express this in a much more convenient way. Example:
                          "Thanks for reporting. Unfortunately we have limited resources and can't confirm or deny this outside of our reference environiment."
                          yet maybe move own brains a bit and setup virtual machine with this platform - plan about 20-40 minutes or suspend the case. Time management 101.
                          More eyes, more use cases, less space for bugs to hide. Perfectly understandable to have limited time resources - ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE PROPRIETARY (*smirk* *smirk*); but read the thread title yourself:

                          Having a problem with FM on Linux? READ HERE FIRST

                          And his response:
                          You're using an unsupported OS - this won't occur if you are using the OS we are supporting - Ubuntu12.04LTS

                          It was Windows,
                          now its different name - Ubuntu,
                          what changed? Same stupid mindset, called INFLEXIBILITY, in economics synonym for CARTEL, grandson of MONOPOLY, arch-enemy of anything open-, libre- or innovative-.
                          We have this over and over again.

                          Yes, probably they need time, a lot of time, to adapt and learn.
                          Brosis,
                          I think one of possible weakness within the community is communication in professional way. In this case, you can explain to the technical support that Ubuntu LTS is similar to Debian and the fix you provide also applied to the supported system. Be like a diplomat.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The beta works fine for me on both the latest Catalyst(HD5850 on desktop/ Arch Linux) and Intel OSS(HD3000 laptop/Fedora 18) drivers. I'm very happy with the quality of the port so far

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank god I have an Nvidia GTX 460 and I am sure I am going to play without issues this game too (after L4D2).

                              I LOVE this game...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X