Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Updates Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Phoronix: Valve Updates Left 4 Dead 2 On Linux

Valve has updated the Linux build of the popular Left 4 Dead 2 game to fix some crashers and add microphone support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NDM

They should've also implemented the gl_finish console option for those of us running Catalyst drivers!

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      They should've also implemented the gl_finish console option for those of us running Catalyst drivers!
      In case you refer to the mouse lag bug check out the catalyst 13.10 beta drivers. I tested source games (Portal, HL2:Lost Cost, HL2: EP2) and they work just great! VEry good performance.
      Maxed out graphics on AMD A10-5800K.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        In case you refer to the mouse lag bug check out the catalyst 13.10 beta drivers. I tested source games (Portal, HL2:Lost Cost, HL2: EP2) and they work just great! VEry good performance.
        Maxed out graphics on AMD A10-5800K.
        Good to know, as I've been using 13.8 until now. I'll install 13.10 beta 2 and give L4D2 a whirl.

Comment

L4D2 seems to be a tough nut to crack. It's still listed as Beta on Linux and I see a lot of bugs. I still can't play it full-time due to a variety of issues. However, other Source games like HL2 and Portal seem to be flawless in my experience. I'm kind of surprised by the disparity. L4D2 must be a much more complex game.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            L4D2 seems to be a tough nut to crack. It's still listed as Beta on Linux and I see a lot of bugs. I still can't play it full-time due to a variety of issues. However, other Source games like HL2 and Portal seem to be flawless in my experience. I'm kind of surprised by the disparity. L4D2 must be a much more complex game.
            Maybe that explain why portal 2 and CS:GO are still not available to download in linux, probably newer ones are games a lot more complex than the older ones. They were hurried up only with LFD2 to bring it faster to linux.

Comment

This thing has been in beta for a long time now and there's no sign of it going out of beta. I guess they're only occasionally working on it.

Comment

From what I understand, most of Valve's development team is working on Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2 engine, and SteamOS. You can bet that Source 2 will be using OpenGL instead of Direct3D and HL3/L4D3 releasing on it will run perfectly on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                X