Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2k Games bringing Linux support to some of their games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2k Games bringing Linux support to some of their games

    If this Amazon listing is to be believed we will have access to native ports of Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Oct. 22nd!

    Also coming up in the Amazon Linux Games department are Borderlands 2, NBA 2K13 and NBA 2K14. Their individual pages don't list Linux support yet though, but with luck that will change in the near future.

  • #2
    Interesting, as CivV was quite deeply bound to DX, using DirectCompute for many things.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think it was so strongly dependent on DX, because it already had version for Mac.

      Comment


      • #4
        Amazon data are often wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Fazer View Post
          I don't think it was so strongly dependent on DX, because it already had version for Mac.
          I see it has a DX9 version too. Perhaps the Mac port uses that, with less effects/visual quality, rather than having rewritten all the DC code in OpenCL?

          Comment


          • #6
            Nope, on an iMac, looks and plays just as good ...

            And its engine was designed from the ground up for portability, with different backends for different APIs.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by curaga View Post
              I see it has a DX9 version too. Perhaps the Mac port uses that, with less effects/visual quality, rather than having rewritten all the DC code in OpenCL?
              The main difference between the DX9 and the DX10/11 version is that the DX10/11 version uses DirectCompute for texture decompression. So in the DX9 version the CPU has to do that job, but AFAIK, visual quality is not affected.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                The main difference between the DX9 and the DX10/11 version is that the DX10/11 version uses DirectCompute for texture decompression. So in the DX9 version the CPU has to do that job, but AFAIK, visual quality is not affected.
                The DX10/11 version is a hell of a lot faster though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Amazon listings also show Microsoft Train simulator is avail for linux NOW

                  http://www.amazon.com/Train-Simulato...g_bs_290573_54


                  I would love it to come to linux (see on the 8th oct for the GOTY release) BUT srs, don't trust an amazon listing, its like they add everything to get hits on searches.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sadly Linux isn't list anymore!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X