Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam's September Hardware Survey For Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
    Besides, I've never seen this mysterious survey popup - and I have started my client daily since it got first installed about 10 months ago.
    I turn steam on maybe every 3rd day and I've gotten asked to participate 3 times since steam for linux was first released.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      I run windows and linux and I got polled on Linux this time. Its not baised, you get polled on whatever OS your on at the time you get selected to poll. I spend >90% of my time on linux, so it makes sense that it was very likely that I was on linux at the time of polling. Statistics.

      Why do people call things biased if they don't agree with them? Its like dealing with the climate change deniers.
      You hit the nail on the head. This is just the nature of random sampling. You may never get picked to do the survey, but a representative proportion of Linux users likely would have been. I have been asked to do the survey a couple of times while logged into the Linux client, but even if I hadn't been I would still have the same opinion.

      I think that many people are suffering from confirmation bias. 1-2% sounds like a pretty reasonable figure to me.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        It's not a real number, and it doesn't represent the importance of Linux. Why do we keep seeing it in the front page in Phoronix. Beyond me.

        because it will be cool to see how Linux/steamOS gains more and more from now till it surpasses macOS and then we get as much or more games than mac users and from there Msft starts freaking out.
        Last edited by madjr; 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by jophos View Post
          I think that many people are suffering from confirmation bias. 1-2% sounds like a pretty reasonable figure to me.
          Yeah, and it just happens to line up with most of the browser based stats you find as well. And the same people will complain about how horrible those stats are too, because they don't want to believe in them.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            And the same people will complain about how horrible those stats are too, because they don't want to believe in them.
            Considering the state of proprietary drivers and the limited selection of games, I'm actually quite happy that we even reached 1%.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              This alone should end this bullshit. Doesn't Michael know the polls are bull?

              Comment


              • #22
                I got the steam user survey for the first time this month, I have been using steam since the earliest linux betas. I suspect this is a random sampling thing. I don't think the sample numbers are far wrong. Many linux users either dual boot or use wine because the games they want to play are not available. I have avoided doing that, but I don't think it is all that common.

                Comment


                • #23
                  i too have never gotten the popup and i've been running it since exclusive beta.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    This alone should end this bullshit. Doesn't Michael know the polls are bull?
                    So, a single user posting a "bug report" is enough proof that the survey is broken? The number of users on Steam is huge. The number of users that are randomly selected is small. The chance of being selected therefore very low. I've been using Steam for 8+ years now. I've been surveyed three times during all those years (and one of these was on Linux, so Linux polls do happen).

                    Canceling the poll and changing the OS is probably detected, to keep people from willfully manipulating the poll by changing to their OS of choice before taking the survey. I would say what is being reported as a bug is actually a feature to prevent people from "cheating".

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Why does it "randomly" select people if it's supposed to survey how many people are using what? It should ask everyone.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                        I run windows and linux and I got polled on Linux this time. Its not baised, you get polled on whatever OS your on at the time you get selected to poll. I spend >90% of my time on linux, so it makes sense that it was very likely that I was on linux at the time of polling. Statistics.

                        Why do people call things biased if they don't agree with them? Its like dealing with the climate change deniers.
                        Because of all of the cases where users have use Steam almost exclusively on Linux but never get the survey, but that one time they log in on Windows or in Wine they get polled and counted toward Windows.

                        They should remove all ambiguity and just collect the OS and hardware string on login for every user over the last 30 days. Then just go with what was used most often over that month.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                          Why does it "randomly" select people if it's supposed to survey how many people are using what? It should ask everyone.
                          Because randomly selecting a large enough sample produces (almost) the same result as asking everyone (e.g ±1%). However, it is a lot faster and produces a lot less data. This is called a "representative survey". For some it might make a difference if the percentage of Linux gamers is 0.9%, 1% or 1.1% (or even 2%) but ultimately it doesn't matter. Who cares if Windows, in total, owns 95% or 94.9% of the market. It's undeniably the most used platform so publishers will continue to target that platform. Don't fool yourself thinking that Linux would suddenly have a much larger share (e.g. 20%) if only the survey where "more fair".

                          Sample Size: How Many Survey Participants Do I Need?
                          What is a Representative Sample Size for a Survey?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
                            Because randomly selecting a large enough sample produces (almost) the same result as asking everyone (e.g ±1%). However, it is a lot faster and produces a lot less data. This is called a "representative survey". For some it might make a difference if the percentage of Linux gamers is 0.9%, 1% or 1.1% (or even 2%) but ultimately it doesn't matter. Who cares if Windows, in total, owns 95% or 94.9% of the market. It's undeniably the most used platform so publishers will continue to target that platform. Don't fool yourself thinking that Linux would suddenly have a much larger share (e.g. 20%) if only the survey where "more fair".

                            Sample Size: How Many Survey Participants Do I Need?
                            What is a Representative Sample Size for a Survey?
                            The sweet spot for AAA companies to take notice of your platform is at 4% of the market, so while nobody cares what percentage Windows is at it does in fact matter a great deal for Mac and Linux users if they want their OS to be better supported.

                            Also, with 50 million users its quite possible for a random sample of even 5 million to return 100% of users using Windows.

                            Thus it's best to remove all ambiguity and get everyone's data that has logged in via their client over the last month.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                              [..]
                              Also, with 50 million users its quite possible for a random sample of even 5 million to return 100% of users using Windows.
                              [..]
                              Not really...

                              If you have 1% Linux users, the probability to draw a Windows user is 0.99 = 99%.
                              If you draw two users, the probability for both to be Windows user is 0.99^2 = 98,01%.
                              If you draw 1000 users, the probability for all of them to be Windows users is 0.99^1000 = ~0,0043%.
                              For 5 million, it's ~0% and not "quite possible"...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                                Any 64-bit Steam client yet?
                                Any 64-bit Linux games on Steam yet?
                                Any open source games on Steam yet?
                                open source no 64 bit games yes
                                heres a 64bit game
                                http://store.steampowered.com/app/96200

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X