Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wwise Engine Being Ported To Linux, SteamOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wwise Engine Being Ported To Linux, SteamOS

    Phoronix: Wwise Engine Being Ported To Linux, SteamOS

    The Audiokinetic Wwise engine middleware will be ported to Linux thanks to Valve's SteamOS...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3MjA

  • #2
    Hopefully this means we may some day see a native port of LIMBO finally. I've been wanting to play that on Steam for ages now.

    Comment


    • #3
      "Steam OS Rise's" and soon conquer the WORLD!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        For years now, things have been building up for Linux. First, Android co-opted Linux and left the traditional stack in the dust, becoming wildly successful. Now we get a true representation of Linux's familiar power, and it will be in consumers' hands.

        Developments like these will both help us improve Linux throughout the stack, as well as allow developers to become acquainted with just how easy Linux is to work with on a technical level.

        I'm definitely excited to see more developments like this, and I doubt they're going to stop any time soon.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
          For years now, things have been building up for Linux. First, Android co-opted Linux and left the traditional stack in the dust, becoming wildly successful. Now we get a true representation of Linux's familiar power, and it will be in consumers' hands.

          Developments like these will both help us improve Linux throughout the stack, as well as allow developers to become acquainted with just how easy Linux is to work with on a technical level.

          I'm definitely excited to see more developments like this, and I doubt they're going to stop any time soon.
          Also Redhat and Nvidia teamed up to Make the GPUs work even better on Linux

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IanS View Post
            Hopefully this means we may some day see a native port of LIMBO finally. I've been wanting to play that on Steam for ages now.
            It also mean we might possibly get underground thing (/s), like Saint Row 3 (not sure about 4, but due to reused asset, quite probable it's using it), Batman: Arkham City, half of Assassin's Creed series, EVE online...

            Wwise quite a widely used sound engine.

            Comment


            • #7
              So this is just a more betterer version of what RADGametools used to do with their Miles audio, Bink video etc? Cross-platform.

              And this Wwise stuff paves the way for easier porting to existing and soon to be coming games for a possible Linux/OS X (OGL) port, then?


              **Speeling Alert!**
              Also, it's Rome II (not Rom II)
              WEEEEEEEE!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                Also Redhat and Nvidia teamed up to Make the GPUs work even better on Linux
                Are they fixing optimus and power management?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  Also Redhat and Nvidia teamed up to create an HSA-like solution for Linux
                  I fixed that for you :P

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X