Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Announces Its Open Steam GamePad / Controller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Oh please. You kids these days don't know what "playable" means. Back in my day, we had games that didn't coddle you with hint systems and hold your hand with help modes... it was 3 lives, then you start over from the beginning. No cheating from the internet either, we had to figure out everything by ourselves because the internet didn't exist. That is, if we had time to play any videogames after working 18 hour shifts in the salt mines.
    I never did make it to the fifth level of Ghosts n' Goblins.

    And I will be sure to stay off your lawn.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
      This brings memories of the best controller i ever used (sans buttons): The Intellivision disc.



      While everyone hated it because of the buttons, the directional disc was exceptional. Unlike the usual 4 direction cross used in the nes and others, the intv disc would never make your fingers sore. It was soft to the touch, and it gently pivoted from the middle. The thing had 16 sensors, so games could use 32 directions, back in 79. None of the other consoles ever improved this, until analogs made their way into consoles in the late 90ies.
      You made me LoL

      Originally posted by Serge View Post
      Does anyone else feel a bit let down by these three announcements? Somehow, given the hype, I was expecting something more interesting.
      So far yes and no. Yes because I want to know hardware specs. No because anything Linux related should be good, especially for Linux gamers.

      Originally posted by stqn View Post
      Wireless sucks, Id rather have a nice simple usb cable than have to buy and charge batteries.
      Wireless has always sucked imho. Any hardcore gamer will refuse wireless. First thing I realised with wireless gamepads is that they go missing very easily. And battery flat issues should be solved if they provide a doc and the internal battery is a LiPoly battery.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by dee. View Post

        Proper gamepads have d-pads - real d-pads, not shitty floaty things that wobble all over. The playstation design is the best, it gives the most accurate controls for when you need 8-directional digital controls - but the original nintendo cross is fine as well. Try playing a fighting game where you have to do accurate combos, or a fast-paced platformer, and you'll be very happy for a proper d-pad to play it with.
        I can see the left track pad easily replicating a traditional dpad just roll your thumb around like you normally would. The position of the Y/B/X/A buttons on the steam controller look awkward for game play and i am not sure how the track pad would perform if used as a replacement for say the triangle/square/circle/x buttons on say a PS3 controller.

        Does anyone know what happened with valves idea of controlling games by eye movement they showed off a couple of yeas ago with portal 2 ?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
          Do you guys even use consoles ? Wireless controllers last a considerable amount of time with heavy game play. If you choose to ignore the hour plus long warning that your battery needs recharging, and the controller dies mid game, the game pauses when realising this and asks you to plug the controller in to continue playing.

          Plug the controller into the console to recharge and OMG its a "corded" controller.
          Play...for a...SINGLE hour ?!? Are you MAD ?!?
          When i play, *I* *PLAY* !!!

          5 hours in a row is the MINIMUM acceptable !
          I use the 1st hour just to warm up !

          (True Story)

          Comment


          • #35
            My only issue is the wireless....

            Besides that , i like the design and surprisingly i was expecting a lot of flak at Gametrailers comments but overall, majority seems that they like or at least want to try it out by themselves till make a judgement. Also big amount of positive comments at IGN and nice Video talk about it in GameSpot.

            Congrats Valve !

            The trackpads seem to work very well:

            https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/383657630675116032
            Last edited by AJSB; 09-28-2013, 02:08 AM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I never did make it to the fifth level of Ghosts n' Goblins.

              And I will be sure to stay off your lawn.
              You better do that.

              Back in time it was an achievement to load the game to the ram of the machine. C64 and tape drive, misaligned "sensor" on the drive and you took a screwdriver to fix the misalignment.

              Modern gaming is shit for idiots.

              Comment


              • #37
                I really hope they'll be developing a better protocol than HID, HID wired devices have a typical latency of ~10+ ms and wireless ~30 ms input lag, and considering this lag has to be added to the game engine lag, frame sync lag and screen input lag before a movement is visible, it becomes quite substantial.

                And as always, wireless should only be optional.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                  I can see the left track pad easily replicating a traditional dpad just roll your thumb around like you normally would.
                  Then I'm sorry but you understand nothing. The d-pad (a proper one, like on nintendo/ps controllers) is great because it allows for quick, accurate movements with minimum finger movement. I realize most games the kids play these days are first-person 3d games where such concerns don't really matter but when you play games where you need accurate controls, like old-school platformers, fighting games, arcade games, 2d shooters, etc. - it's paramount to have a d-pad that is responsive and accurate.

                  Some gamepads these days have horrible pseudo-d-pads that are just kind of these floaty round plates that are horribly inaccurate - you press it left and you'll never know if it goes left or diagonally up, for example, unless you're really careful the whole time. I have one such gamepad, it's great otherwise but the crappy d-pad means I can only use it for games that don't require quick, accurate controls.

                  Analog sticks are okay most of the time but they're too slow to move, and if you need quick and accurate movements and don't need the 360 functionality, then a proper d-pad is always better.

                  Now then there's this idea of a touchpad. In a gamepad. That you control with your thumb. Comparing it to a d-pad would be like comparing an on-screen virtual keyboard to a real desktop keyboard with real spring-loaded keys. Basically it would be like playing on some of those virtual gamepads, there's no proper feedback (haptics aren't the same thing, no matter how "sophisticated" they are, all they do is vibrate on your thumb, possibly causing some kind of disorder) and just try to do any accurate, quick movements by sliding your thumb all over, it's not going to work.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    You better do that.

                    Back in time it was an achievement to load the game to the ram of the machine. C64 and tape drive, misaligned "sensor" on the drive and you took a screwdriver to fix the misalignment.

                    Modern gaming is shit for idiots.
                    True words.

                    As for tapes, been there done that:

                    Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K
                    Last edited by AJSB; 09-28-2013, 05:09 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      You can use the buttons for platform games.
                      Sure their design doesn't mimic a D-pad and will get a bit to gey used to them but you can reprogram those A B X Y to work as a dpad.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                        but you can reprogram those A B X Y to work as a dpad.
                        Other than the fact that, you know, they're in a horribly awkward configuration for that purpose, they're too far from each other meaning you'd constantly have to leap your fingers up and down, and it would take both thumbs just to control the movement... yeah sure, why not, if you're into that sort of thing.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                          Play...for a...SINGLE hour ?!? Are you MAD ?!?
                          When i play, *I* *PLAY* !!!

                          5 hours in a row is the MINIMUM acceptable !
                          I use the 1st hour just to warm up !

                          (True Story)
                          my xbox controller lasts for a month with a few hours a day of use. The battery warning is the part thats an hour long.

                          Originally posted by dee. View Post
                          Then I'm sorry but you understand nothing. The d-pad (a proper one, like on nintendo/ps controllers) is great because it allows for quick, accurate movements with minimum finger movement. I realize most games the kids play these days are first-person 3d games where such concerns don't really matter but when you play games where you need accurate controls, like old-school platformers, fighting games, arcade games, 2d shooters, etc. - it's paramount to have a d-pad that is responsive and accurate.
                          Not sure what FPS you play but I only play them on my computer and response time and accuracy are much more important on a FPS than on any platformer or fighting games, try playing quake 3 with a game pad and then with a mouse. There will be a massive difference. Take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay FPS are mentioned over and over.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            @dee.

                            one or the two trackpads can be reprogrammed to work as D-Pad(s).

                            One of game devs invited by Valve did just that and it worked pretty well:

                            http://kotaku.com/valves-controller-...pre-1415579308
                            Last edited by AJSB; 09-28-2013, 06:33 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by dee. View Post
                              Now then there's this idea of a touchpad. In a gamepad. That you control with your thumb. Comparing it to a d-pad would be like comparing an on-screen virtual keyboard to a real desktop keyboard with real spring-loaded keys. Basically it would be like playing on some of those virtual gamepads, there's no proper feedback (haptics aren't the same thing, no matter how "sophisticated" they are, all they do is vibrate on your thumb, possibly causing some kind of disorder) and just try to do any accurate, quick movements by sliding your thumb all over, it's not going to work.
                              This is what I am most curious about, just don't see how this touchpads are supposed to work, give proper control feedback (and the precision of a mouse?).

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Been there, done that:

                                10 Worst Video Game Controllers
                                9. Turbo Touch 360

                                Dear Control Engineers: Please don't remove the D-pad on a controller in favor of a touch-sensitive surface. You may try to con fighting gamers into thinking it'll make smooth circular motions easier, but you may not realize they like to rest their thumb on the pad when idle. Thanks. Your Pal, Craig


                                25 Worst Video Game Controllers

                                25. The Turbo Touch 360
                                NES, SNES, Sega Genesis

                                The Turbo Touch 360 line of controllers were terrible. Triax thought it would be such a good idea to replace our useful digital d-pad with a recessed touch pad in the days of the NES. Never mind that the NES, SNES, and Genesis were only able to accept digital inputs, making the touch pad completely useless and unwieldy. Not only that, but plastic edges around the touchpad were sharp! Have you ever gotten a plastic cut while playing Contra? It hurts!
                                Last edited by TheBlackCat; 09-28-2013, 08:05 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X