No announcement yet.

What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Phoronix: What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

As most Phoronix readers are now aware, the first countdown timer is now complete for Valve's SteamBox-related news. The first drop was about SteamOS, their own Linux distribution that's highly optimized for gaming...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2Nzg

Really my only hope is that it becomes the standard target platform for game developers. Since it's using cross-platform technologies developers aren't missing out on the Windows desktop market. This would mean that desktop Linux gets crap tons of AAA titles.
    Last edited by blackout23; 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

No hopes, since it doesn't seem to affect me in any way so far. Not interested in DRM platforms.
      The whole streaming idea is mildly interesting, but I don't expect that to be very useful for desktop Linux players, either.

Comment

So...NVIDIA shield 2.0?

Comment

wayland + QT UI

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            I would have a good laugh if it was based on Ubuntu.
            It probably is...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              I would have a good laugh if it was based on Ubuntu.
              You should decide what distro to be based on. You're the BOSS.

Comment

Many claims that it is based on Debian, but there is no source

Simply named Steam OS, the operating system is a highly modified Debian Linux stripped to bare, with all its non-essentials tossed out, and proprietary multimedia CODECs added, along with fonts, runtime environments, and in-built drivers for popular GPU, sound card, and gaming-peripheral brands. In essence, there's everything in the operating system for PC gamers, and then some.
                http://www.techpowerup.com/191332/va...-steam-os.html

But Ubuntu is also highly modified Debian... rebuilded to been worse
                Last edited by dungeon; 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Come on guys, this is a no-factor. Its essentially game streaming, meaning you need a Windows PC in the first place.

Hence the problem.

Comment

My wish is that:

* It's open (give power users an easy way to install other software, without having to enter a 'developer mode' as in Chromebooks)
                    * Improvements to Linux and Open Source Graphics stacks are pushed upstream
                    * The Linux Client keeps getting developed and benefits from improvements in StreamOS

Hope you are reading, Steam friends, and thank you for going open!

Comment

Working...
                    X