No announcement yet.

What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Phoronix: What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

As most Phoronix readers are now aware, the first countdown timer is now complete for Valve's SteamBox-related news. The first drop was about SteamOS, their own Linux distribution that's highly optimized for gaming...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ2Nzg

Really my only hope is that it becomes the standard target platform for game developers. Since it's using cross-platform technologies developers aren't missing out on the Windows desktop market. This would mean that desktop Linux gets crap tons of AAA titles.
    Last edited by blackout23; 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

No hopes, since it doesn't seem to affect me in any way so far. Not interested in DRM platforms.
      The whole streaming idea is mildly interesting, but I don't expect that to be very useful for desktop Linux players, either.

Comment

So...NVIDIA shield 2.0?

Comment

wayland + QT UI

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            I would have a good laugh if it was based on Ubuntu.
            It probably is...

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              I would have a good laugh if it was based on Ubuntu.
              You should decide what distro to be based on. You're the BOSS.

Comment

Many claims that it is based on Debian, but there is no source

Simply named Steam OS, the operating system is a highly modified Debian Linux stripped to bare, with all its non-essentials tossed out, and proprietary multimedia CODECs added, along with fonts, runtime environments, and in-built drivers for popular GPU, sound card, and gaming-peripheral brands. In essence, there's everything in the operating system for PC gamers, and then some.
                http://www.techpowerup.com/191332/va...-steam-os.html

But Ubuntu is also highly modified Debian... rebuilded to been worse
                Last edited by dungeon; 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Come on guys, this is a no-factor. Its essentially game streaming, meaning you need a Windows PC in the first place.

Hence the problem.

Comment

My wish is that:

* It's open (give power users an easy way to install other software, without having to enter a 'developer mode' as in Chromebooks)
                    * Improvements to Linux and Open Source Graphics stacks are pushed upstream
                    * The Linux Client keeps getting developed and benefits from improvements in StreamOS

Hope you are reading, Steam friends, and thank you for going open!

Comment

@gamerk2
                      stream win games until users get bored of running two machines and start to buy Linux games...but as always the beginning is hard. Anway I don't intend to buy such a device in the near future but welcome any Linux games for my desktop pc.

Comment

More games for Linux
                        More software for Linux in general
                        Linux exclusive games
                        No DRM for Linux version of games some people still dont have Steam installed simply because they HATE DRM.
                        Bugfixing and fixing conceptual Linux faults

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                          Come on guys, this is a no-factor. Its essentially game streaming, meaning you need a Windows PC in the first place.

Hence the problem.
                          It streams from a PC as an option if you don't have it locally on Linux, and since the streaming feature will be build in the client itself (not only for windows but for mac and linux as well), you should be able to have a powerful computer somewhere and a thin client to stream games throughout the house.
                          SteamOS will be a ready-to-use linux distribution for steam, just the same way Xbmcbuntu is to xbmc. Nothing to configure, it just works, but they are made to be used on a tv.
                          Who cares if it is based on debian, ubuntu or netBSD as long as it provides a working linux platform for the mere mortal ? Those who know how to use Linux and are interested in steam must have it working for a long time now on their own system.

What I expect is that it's going to provide a standard platform for Linux game development in term of libraries version, so that if needed it can be matched by other distribution if they want to be game-savy.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                            Really my only hope is that it becomes the standard target platform for game developers. Since it's using cross-platform technologies developers aren't missing out on the Windows desktop market. This would mean that desktop Linux gets crap tons of AAA titles.
                            It won't be a "standard target" unless it gets shipped or preinstalled on Hardware. This is also why Linux is not a standard target yet.

ChromeOS is the only one being sold on hardware in larger quantities, but is web based so is not really helping the ecosystem as much as it could.

My hopes are for Ubuntu shipping in more computers and the steambox.

Comment

my hopes

My only hopes is that AAA games start to become the norm in Linux, i dont really care if SteamOS is based on Ubuntu or Fedora, as long as it does not need any kind of manual intervention (like modifying files, or opening the shell for anything at all).

It would be nice if some of the older titles work even if it's with bottled wine. (much like The Witcher 1 was done for Mac).

I dont care if they use opensource drivers or blob binary as long as the performance is up par or better than windows 7/8.1 and i really really hope the launch something like Unity3D (the game engine) but based on Steam for game development right from the SteamOS.

Comment

Working...
                              X