No announcement yet.

What's Your Hopes From Valve's SteamOS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it has any DE running. Just steam big picture on X. Most probably debian/ubuntu based distro under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
      More games for Linux
      More software for Linux in general
      Linux exclusive games
      No DRM for Linux version of games some people still dont have Steam installed simply because they HATE DRM.
      Bugfixing and fixing conceptual Linux faults
      You expect too much. I can guarantee you'll get disappointed.
      Specially on the DRM point, there is no chance in hell they'll drop DRM.
      And Linux exclusive games, why? That just sounds as a hateful thing to say.

Comment

I hope:
        the hability to use xbmc (or having something on par already built in) on steamOs, and if needed, a way to easy switch to a desktop (I like elementaryOs interface) so that will be sweet to have.
        SteamBox:
        - to be built with comodity hardware, meaning that I can build my own Steambox (like a clone pc).
        - to be the base for game developers to aim (optimize) for.
        - affordable, no one wants to build a 1000 U$S SteamBox (well, not the majority)
        - that given a steambox running windows vs a steambox running steamOs, there will be a notable performance difference (steam os being faster by 10%-15%) to justify the switch.
        - if we take into consideration all the previous points: BEST performance/price ratio for a clonic pc by a good margin.

Comment

Hopes and Dreams people!

Short term:

- Great Controller (very important!) + Good Hardware.
          - More AAA games brought over to SteamBox & Linux
          - Upgrade to use Wayland for next Display Server

Long term:

- Steam OS improves driver support on Linux in general, encouraging AMD/Nvidia to make excellent EGL drivers for Wayland (and Mir).
          - Create Steam Desktop OS, with KDE or Gnome or their own UI (so long as it's open). Runs on SteamBox, but for more than just BigPicture mode.
          - Steam Desktop OS is for game devs too. Comes with developing tools, and encourages Linux as a game-dev platform (needs C/C++ edit-n-continue debugging).
          - More OEMs make "Steam Box" systems, targeting top-end to low-end games. Valve introduces "performance tear classifications" for games and OEMs.

Far away:

- Steam Mobile OS? Plays nicely with Sailfish, Tizen, Android, etc..
          - Massive migration to open-source developer tools as industry standards in gaming (KDevelop is nice)
          - More open art tools are improved and used in game dev. Open formats become standard. (Blender & Krita are already on their way).

Comment

Valve isn't targeting the traditional desktop / laptop market with Steam OS. Valve already has a client for your desktop / laptop as long as its running either Windows, OS X, or Linux. They're targeting the Xbox or Playstation that you have hooked up to your TV.

It seems like Valve is trying to do what Microsoft did and what Google is currently doing, and that's crafting a OS and releasing it to manufacturers and the public to freely install on whatever x86 hardware out there. What Steam OS provides is the ability to make your very own console out of regular x86 hardware, which is the hardware of choice for the two of the three big console providers at the moment.

It doesn't matter if its running an AMD or Intel processor, 2gb or 16gb of ram, DDR1 or DDR3, dual core or six core, AMD or Nvidia GPU. Doesn't matter if it cost $200 or $2,000 to make, if it has an x86 processor you can slap Steam OS on it and turn it into a console. It's your choice.

And best of all, its using open source linux as its core. Debian. If it runs on Steam OS, it'll most likely run on any other Linux distro out there.
            Last edited by middy; 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

wishlist
              - open source drivers to equal and eventually surpass binary ones. Faster drivers in linux compared to windows.Game developers start improving drivers to
              optimze for their games
              - Some way to have more optimized use of hardware similar to how PS3/Xbox were able to last for so long
              - Most AAA games available natively
              - Steam to remain available for any linux distro
              - All improvements pushed upstream
              - Mouse/keyboard should remain usable for FPS and such in steambox. Dont like controllers for them.
              - surprise us

Comment

My hope is that SteamOS will influence future distros.

Comment

I hope I can still use SteamOS as a development platform. It would be nice to have all the performance improvements for gaming and still have a DE that is suitable for desktop use.

Comment

Hopefully:

1. they push for faster development of free video drivers.
                    2. they bake an integrated wine solution to steam for currently existing windows games.
                    3. they choose a culture and technologies that help strengthen the linux ecosystem rather than fragment it in the long run. (I imagine they'll initially have to build up many custom system components and such to get going fast enough).
                    4. they generally promote free software in regards to codecs and such.
                    Last edited by Pahanilmanlintu; 09-24-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                      You expect too much. I can guarantee you'll get disappointed.
                      Specially on the DRM point, there is no chance in hell they'll drop DRM.
                      And Linux exclusive games, why? That just sounds as a hateful thing to say.
                      How exactly did you come up with association Linux exclusive = hateful
                      DRM = no money from me and some others I think it is important for Linux community to lobby for DRM-less games.
                      Right should have added title to this if i had it would say which benefits can Linux reap from Valve
                      Last edited by Ramiliez; 09-24-2013, 01:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

For the development of Steam OS I hope it supports true community efforts like systemd and wayland. A real Debian base would be good. I hope Valve improves a lot of the stack and contributes massively to the kernel and other parts as opposed to that other popular distribution.
                        Just don't ship with very outdated packages this will only make it harder for people with Intel iGPUs. They don't need much of a desktop or window management so something like a Steam Shell which runs ontop of a Wayland compositor would be ideal. systemd makes Steam OS boot like lightning.
                        Last edited by blackout23; 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

My main wish is that SteamOS continues to function as a regular Linux OS rather than being locked inside the Steam client. I want to be able to switch from the Steam client back to the desktop (hopefully Gnome Shell) and be able to run Firefox or run XBMC. Oh, and I would like to be able to SSH into the box from my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by article
                            Though what's your hopes from SteamOS? High performance open-source GPU drivers?
                            No.

A binary blob-free kernel land?
                            No, definitely not.

Btrfs by default?
                            I doubt it.

The BFS scheduler by default given the gaming system target?
                            Can't really comment on that.

Now...

What I'm hoping for is an easy way for people to enjoy their games on Linux in their living rooms.

Also, I'm expecting Valve to release some sort of Virtual Reality / Augmented Reality hardware, that is to be accompanied with their gaming console.

Also, the third announcement has to be Half-life 3. Just because.

(Obviously if this, for some miraclous reason were to happen, Half-life 3 would be launched in 2014 alongside their gaming console and their virtual reality headgear. Those combined would revolutionize virtual 3D reality gaming.)

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                              Come on guys, this is a no-factor. Its essentially game streaming, meaning you need a Windows PC in the first place.

Hence the problem.
                              NO, game streaming is an additional bonus for older games that will never see a port. It also mentions that AAA titles will be coming natively to Linux.

Comment

It's time to take another cut out of MS's market lock in. I'm sick and tired of the whole MS tax thing that has been going on far too long.

Comment

Working...
                                X