Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightGear 2.12 Is Flying

Phoronix: FlightGear 2.12 Is Flying

The FlightGear open-source flight simulator has graduated to version 2.12 and with it comes many changes as it still sets out to try to compete with commercial flight simulators...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

cool but the scenery needs work...

Comment

Boring

Boring. I know it is a flight simulator, not a game.
      But it has no cool airplanes.
      Only shitty private airplanes and passenger aircraft.
      No modern fighter jets like F-22: Raptor, F-35: Lightning II, Sukhoi Su-47, Sukhoi PAK FA, Mitsubishi ATD-X, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        No modern fighter jets like F-22: Raptor, F-35: Lightning II, Sukhoi Su-47, Sukhoi PAK FA, Mitsubishi ATD-X, etc.
        Look at http://www.flightgear.org/download/aircraft-v2-12/
        Remember Flightgear is Free and Open Source, if you want to include those listed planes, make one using a 3D modeling software like Blender.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
          Look at http://www.flightgear.org/download/aircraft-v2-12/
          Remember Flightgear is Free and Open Source, if you want to include those listed planes, make one using a 3D modeling software like Blender.
          It's not just about a model.
          It's also inside cockpit and plane data such as speed, weight, wingspan, acceleration, and all that kind of stuff.

The planes on that list only have few fighter planes, and they're mostly old places from the 60s.
          Also many of the planes are just "alpha" or "beta" so they're really shitty.

No modern fighter jets, like fourth or fifth generation fighters, stealth fighters, multirole fighters, etc.
          Last edited by uid313; 24 September 2013, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Only one of those is in service, one has not advanced past concept form, and one will never go past prototype. Looks like you are looking for a fantasy game, not a flight simulator.

Comment

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Boeing_787-8_Dreamliner

There are good planes like the above. But the scenery looks crazy ugly and even my GTX770 (I max out FSX) can't give me
              good FPS...

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                Only one of those is in service, one has not advanced past concept form, and one will never go past prototype. Looks like you are looking for a fantasy game, not a flight simulator.
                But it doesn't even have older fighter jets such as F-15 Eagle, F-16 Falcon, F/A-18 Hornet, or Sukhoi Su-37.

Comment

But it doesn't even have older fighter jets such as F-15 Eagle, F-16 Falcon, F/A-18 Hornet, or Sukhoi Su-37.
                  It's more focused on simulation and less on gaming. When the focus is more on simulation than gaming, the value of simulating military aircraft as opposed to civilian aircraft diminishes. Furthermore, it is more difficult to simulate military aircraft, especially front line aircraft like the F-15, with the same accuracy and confidence due to how much of the aircraft remains classified. By the way, this is nitpicking now, but the Su-37 is another fantasy jet. A single prototype was built, and it had major control problems that were never resolved before Sukhoi ceased working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                    It's more focused on simulation and less on gaming. When the focus is more on simulation than gaming, the value of simulating military aircraft as opposed to civilian aircraft diminishes. Furthermore, it is more difficult to simulate military aircraft, especially front line aircraft like the F-15, with the same accuracy and confidence due to how much of the aircraft remains classified. By the way, this is nitpicking now, but the Su-37 is another fantasy jet. A single prototype was built, and it had major control problems that were never resolved before Sukhoi ceased working on it.
                    I understand that it is more focused on simulation than gaming, but it would be much cooler to fly a simulation of something cool than fly a simulation of a piece-of-shit aircraft.

Not even a JAS 39 Gripen or a MiG-27.

Comment

Working...
                    X