Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Launches Countdown For SteamBox News

Phoronix: Valve Launches Countdown For SteamBox News

Valve has launched a new part of the website where they have initiated a countdown timer for "The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everyone seems to be expecting a console-like hardware or a streaming device. I think that even though it may end that way, the steps will be - and so far were - cautious and self-contained. For example big picture mode is self-contained, linux support is a self-contained, as is the family sharing. The next step will probably be just a continuation in the same direction. Ultimately they will end up with some HW, the highlights being your own library of games and modability. I can imagine a HDMI dongle that I insert into the TV and have my steam pc stream the games to it. Personally I'd love to have that.

The text about connecting the dots seems to indicate the kind attitude I describe...

Comment

Best countdown page I've ever seen. Excellent work, Valve. Can't wait to hear more.

Comment

Btw., Valve is in the process of switching to SDL 2.0 on Windows, too, for Input Handling etc. (Team Fortress 2 is the first game), so no more DirectX for that.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Btw., Valve is in the process of switching to SDL 2.0 on Windows, too, for Input Handling etc. (Team Fortress 2 is the first game), so no more DirectX for that.
          Link please.

Comment

3 circles on countdown webpage, HL3 confirmed!!

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
              And it's a Linux Exclusive!

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                Nah, he was right about Steam for Linux then, now he's right about the steam box too, I mean it makes perfect sense for Valve to do just that.

Comment

Steam Box with HL3 exclusive on Linux and the console! Am I over-optimistic?

Comment

Soon, we?ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.
                    Doesn't sound like this announcement is going to be to exciting

Comment

Working...
                    X