Valve's Gabe Newell Talks Up Linux For Gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crymsonpheonix View Post
    Valve will almost certainly continue to ship their games for X windows and rely on systems like XWayland and XMir for the foreseeable future. They will not make a switch until one system has become the new de facto standard for window managers.
    I think (or at least it's the impression I'm getting, forgive me if I'm wrong) you misunderstand Xwayland and Xmir - Xwayland allows running X software on Wayland, not the other way around - and the same applies for Xmir. In order to be able to run Wayland software over X, you'd have to run an entire Wayland compositor or write some kind of new compatibility layer (WaylandX?) and to run Mir programs on X... well, since there's no such thing as "Mir compositor" and the only thing that supports Mir is Unity... the only choice would be running Ubuntu in a VM, or writing some kind of new compatibility layer (MirX).

Valve has stated that their Steambox ships with X, which indeed makes sense for the short term - it's a gaming-focused system, and so far X still has the best driver support, as the proprietary GPU drivers of Nvidia & AMD only support X for now. But in the long term, once we get good EGL drivers, they will want to move on to a modern graphics system, because of all the benefits - not only performance, but also tear-free frames, etc. Then it'll be a choice between Mir + Unity, and be compatible with Ubuntu; or Wayland + almost any other DE, and be compatible with Tizen + almost all other Linux distros.

Comment

It's really kind of weird to see just how much negative reaction there has been out there on the interwebz to Valve's recent overtures to Linux. I would never have thought there would be such a huge uproar amongst PC gamers, as if Valve was taking their lollipops away or something.

I honestly don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        It's really kind of weird to see just how much negative reaction there has been out there on the interwebz to Valve's recent overtures to Linux. I would never have thought there would be such a huge uproar amongst PC gamers, as if Valve was taking their lollipops away or something.

I honestly don't get it.
        Your average Windows user didn't choose Windows, they never knew there was a choice, (besides maybe by way of overpriced Macs which are easy to write off). Many of them are afraid of technology and to hear that they may have to change and learn all new stuff is bound to scare a fair few of them which would naturally cause many of the less mature among that crowd to lash out in anger. I'm not surprised in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          I think (or at least it's the impression I'm getting, forgive me if I'm wrong) you misunderstand Xwayland and Xmir...
          This is simply a case of me failing to communicate, I'm quite aware of what XWayland and XMir are.

Comment

I honestly don't get it.

How can you not get it? It's the Old Hats complaining because they only want Open Source. The same people you see on the trisquel site telling people not to use proprietary drivers and such. That's what I don't get, it's like they don't want Linux to advance and they want you to use only half of the hardware you paid for. IMO, they are a Cancer to the advancement of Linux and need to stop.

Comment

I would not be surprised if valve would ship with Linux as default, but offering Windows for a additional charge.

Personally I don't care, but welcome any Linux games alike Counterstrike etc. Tomb Raider 2013 would be cool to play on Linux...

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                I would not be surprised if valve would ship with Linux as default, but offering Windows for a additional charge.

Personally I don't care, but welcome any Linux games alike Counterstrike etc. Tomb Raider 2013 would be cool to play on Linux...
                If you are talking about the Steam box, Gabe has already said that the hardware they ship will have a Linux-based os only. He also said that other companies are more than welcome to do their own Steam boxes with Windows if they want to. Even then the Valve version will also be open in the sense that you will be able to go in and replace the OS or upgrade hardware if/when you want, just like a PC. They are looking to keep the same spirit that made the PC platform so ubiquitous in the first place - that is healthy competition and innovation among hardware providers with plenty of options for consumers to match their desired price points and performance needs, just in a smaller form factor and a focus on the living room to get the best of both PC and console worlds. The way it sounded to me is that the Valve version of the Steam box will basically be the standard version, meant to be mid-range performance at a reasonable price on a Linux base. But other Steam boxes from other companies could range from cheap interface units that sit between your existing gaming pc and tv at the low end to expensive beastly gaming rigs at the high end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
                  How can you not get it? It's the Old Hats complaining because they only want Open Source. The same people you see on the trisquel site telling people not to use proprietary drivers and such. That's what I don't get, it's like they don't want Linux to advance and they want you to use only half of the hardware you paid for. IMO, they are a Cancer to the advancement of Linux and need to stop.
                  Well I was referring to people who are currently Windows users, PC gamers and enthusiasts... and for some reason seem to think that Valve paying any attention to Linux is the equivalent of some kind of unforgivable sin.

Comment

Well I was referring to people who are currently Windows users, PC gamers and enthusiasts... and for some reason seem to think that Valve paying any attention to Linux is the equivalent of some kind of unforgivable sin.
                    Well it looks like MS anti-Linux FUD campaign has paid off. Can you think of better explanation?

Or They hate us for our freedom
                    Last edited by Ramiliez; 09-18-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
                      If you are talking about the Steam box, Gabe has already said that the hardware they ship will have a Linux-based os only. He also said that other companies are more than welcome to do their own Steam boxes with Windows if they want to. Even then the Valve version will also be open in the sense that you will be able to go in and replace the OS or upgrade hardware if/when you want, just like a PC. They are looking to keep the same spirit that made the PC platform so ubiquitous in the first place - that is healthy competition and innovation among hardware providers with plenty of options for consumers to match their desired price points and performance needs, just in a smaller form factor and a focus on the living room to get the best of both PC and console worlds. The way it sounded to me is that the Valve version of the Steam box will basically be the standard version, meant to be mid-range performance at a reasonable price on a Linux base. But other Steam boxes from other companies could range from cheap interface units that sit between your existing gaming pc and tv at the low end to expensive beastly gaming rigs at the high end.
                      Can you please provide a link to such announcements about these specifics?
                      I didn't find any of that in the presentation he gave, only a vague notion that "Linux is the future of gaming!"

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguy View Post
                        Can you please provide a link to such announcements about these specifics?
                        I didn't find any of that in the presentation he gave, only a vague notion that "Linux is the future of gaming!"
                        There are several sources and I don't care enough to dig around for them all, but this is probably the most relevant: http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385...ture-of-gaming

Comment

Working...
                        X