Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humble Indie Bundle 9 Brings New Linux Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    This exactly. I understand TL1 was done from a different company. They should get Ryan and get a TL2 port out and put both on Steam or directly from their site.
    TL1 was ported by Edward Rudd, who now works full-time for Humble on ports.

    Comment


    • #22
      I wish they'd upload the TL port to Steam and port TL 2.

      I bought it a year ago but I can't get myself to boot into Windows anymore.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        I wish they'd upload the TL port to Steam and port TL 2.

        I bought it a year ago but I can't get myself to boot into Windows anymore.
        That'd be lovely. However, it's not likely to happen - and is the main reason people who cry "get Ryan Gordon to port X" are missing the problem.

        3rd party porting is done on a contract basis - either a fixed price contract for a fixed set of acceptance criteria, or time & materials (however much they may be) at an agreed rate towards a set of acceptance criteria.

        If "Get SteamWorks implemented fully and upload to Steam" wasn't a specified requirement in the contract, then it won't magically happen.

        Either the developers themselves need to do it (unlikely if they contracted out the port, as they'll have 0 Linux expertise on how to do it), or pay someone to do it (unlikely as that costs money).

        Other things, like bug fixing, will need to have been part of the original contract, or a new contract - or not happen

        In-house porting is always better than contracted porting, from a "sustained support" perspective.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by entropy View Post
          He meant the Linux port was done by a different company.
          Hmm true but the port was more or less a simple rebuilt.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            Hmm true but the port was more or less a simple rebuilt.
            Citation required

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by directhex View Post
              Citation required
              Look at the components used by TL, if the game was built with multiple in mind (build system etc).

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
                Look at the components used by TL, if the game was built with multiple in mind (build system etc).
                You don't have any clue as to the build system due to lack of source code, and if it were so simple why could characters not have both headgear and heads for so many months?

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by directhex View Post
                  You don't have any clue as to the build system due to lack of source code, and if it were so simple why could characters not have both headgear and heads for so many months?
                  Because of one line of code. This was literately the case.

                  And we do have the source code to OGRE, which Torchlight is based on. OGRE is cross-platform.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    Because of one line of code. This was literately the case.

                    And we do have the source code to OGRE, which Torchlight is based on. OGRE is cross-platform.
                    We have the source to plenty of libraries used by proprietary games, it's not really meaningful insight into how many issues arose whilst porting the actual game

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Sure, but it does show that it was built on cross-platform technologies. Which means any problems would be due to whatever Runic added.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X