Steam Linux Usage Drops During August

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Don't forget about the whole "The survey doesn't pop up on Linux" issue for people who have an install on both Windows and Linux.

There are several people who report the survey popping up when they log into steam on Windows several times (not filling it out) but it never once popping up on Linux, even though their "account" was selected.

*disclaimer* Just what I've heard. Don't kill the messenger...
    I have gotten the survey once, and I was very happy, I was on Linux (openSUSE)
    I do not like that it seems to be pure luck though.

But if I only look at myself, I played all available Linux games. ( at-least the ones I want to play )

And the last time I tried, Left For dead 2 run quite good, but not yet as good as on windows.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post
      I haven't been keeping up but is there some advanced option in Steam on Linux to force download windows games on linux so I can run them on wine?
      And, yes I did BUY some games that run on linux to show support, but would like to download my other windows games as well.
      Even if there was a way, you cant play games which need direct X 11 to name one problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Belial View Post
        While they might need to work on the way they collect their statistics, if they've stayed consistent on how they've been doing it so far, then it doesn't change the fact that usage is dropping.
        I don't mind acknowledging the drop. I do mind everyone will be discussing the matter based on data that are of low quality even by 'full-blown-journalism' standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Don't forget about the whole "The survey doesn't pop up on Linux" issue for people who have an install on both Windows and Linux.

There are several people who report the survey popping up when they log into steam on Windows several times (not filling it out) but it never once popping up on Linux, even though their "account" was selected.

*disclaimer* Just what I've heard. Don't kill the messenger...
          I don't use Windows but only have the thing pop up when using wine and I was in beta and have yet to see it on Linux. I believe it.

Comment

LOL just this very moment I got the survey myself.
            So September will be the month of the Linux triumph, gogo 3%!

Comment

I said this before and I'll say it again - probably at least 75% of all linux steam users are also using the windows version. If you were to reduce the count of windows users by the count of linux users, I'm sure the percentage might increase to almost 2%.

I would have to say, I'm pretty disappointed there are so many 32 bit linux users out there. Seriously, are all of you running P4s?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I would have to say, I'm pretty disappointed there are so many 32 bit linux users out there. Seriously, are all of you running P4s?
                Ubuntu recommends 32 bit. It probably explains the overuse of 32 bit software by people with 64 bit processors.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows... or moved over to OS X.
                  Yes Linux had 80% market share and Unity Gnome shell pissed them off.... Linux usage (desktop) never exceeded 1,5% globally. http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201309

Today Linux usage is bigger than ever.
                  Last edited by verde; 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
                    Give me good working graphics driver for my HD 4670M with Ubuntu 12.04 and i will start using steam again...

Hopefully Ubuntu 14.04 will use Kernel 3.11 or above...
                    Ubuntu 13.10 is using 3.11 already..
                    Last edited by verde; 09-03-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows
                      haha yea sure, they much prefer the Metro UI lol.

with so many DEs (unity, gshell, mate, cinnamon, kde, elementary, xfce, lxde, e17, ,etc. etc. etc.) no one will rarely leave linux becuase of lack of DE option

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post

with so many DEs (unity, gshell, mate, cinnamon, kde, elementary, xfce, lxde, e17, ,etc. etc. etc.) no one will rarely leave linux becuase of lack of DE option
                        People love Metro and Windows 8. (*)

(*) compared to Linux

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                          Yeah, because every version of Windows uses Metro.

Port CSGO and I'll finally make the switch, Valve. I'm not willing to sacrifice ~100 fps just so I can say I'm playing on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
                            Give me good working graphics driver for my HD 4670M with Ubuntu 12.04 and i will start using steam again...
                            You can upgrade to 13.04 or 13.10 and use fresh FOSS driver at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                              You can upgrade to 13.04 or 13.10 and use fresh FOSS driver at any time.
                              Do you really have to upgrade the whole OS just to get the latest video driver?

This is a serious weakness if true.

Comment

FWIW I got the survey on the Linux side yesterday so I doubt there's a bug in there.

The results are pretty pathetic but not surprising. It seems to match the overall desktop trend. It's interesting to see that the unreleased Windows 8.1 has about as much marketshare on Steam as all of Linux combined.

It's probably what we all know... The Unity / GNOME Shell debacle pissed off a lot of people and they went back to Windows... or moved over to OS X.
                                <sarcasm>
                                Really? Last I heard was that they all switched to Cinnamon and Mate on Linux Mint.
                                </sarcasm>

Comment

Working...
                                X