Xonotic 0.7 Has New Compiler, Game Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    No they don't. There is no support for my video card Radeon 3400 anymore in linux because the idiots that work at the linux kernel keep changing shit around so that AMD has to release a new driver every time there is an update to X.org. And AMD chose not to release any more versions for old cards. Don't put the blame on AMD, it's linux's fault. The driver from 2009 works just fine on windows 7 even today. No such thing in linux. Because linux is better.
    what the f are you talking about

this has been said a milion times already:
    -you dont have to use the latest xorg/kernel
    -you dont have to use linux
    -for xonotic you dont even have to use fglrx (i played with OSS driver on a mid range laptop!)

and what has not been said:
    -if when you bought your card it said on the box "supports linux" then AMD _IS_ obligated to support linux (i bet it didnt say)
    -i dont blame ATI for nothing as 100% support for linux would make them loose money and nvidia/intel needs competition
    (nvidia supports linux cuz of big companies, not cuz of gamers)

so next time think before you write nonsense

PS those "idiots" are changing things cuz they want to make them "right", not make them good for "whatever YOU want" or "backwards compatibility"

Comment

You missed BO$$ also blamed kernel for Xorg changes

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        QuakeC didn't change that much from version 1 to 3, so it wouldn't be a rewrite, more like a batch replace of some small parts.
        Where did you get that information? AFAIK only idTech1 used QuakeC, idTech3 used a totally different kind of game-play coding (some sort of encapsulated regular C if I am not mistaken).
        One could argue that QuakeC has some similarities with regular C, but for all practical purposes switching from DarkPlaces to a idTech3 type of system would mean a near complete rewrite of the game-play code.

Besides that, both Darkplaces and the by now much improved script language QuakeC arn't really outdated at all and thus don't need replacement.

Comment

No they don't. There is no support for my video card Radeon 3400 anymore in linux because the idiots that work at the linux kernel keep changing shit around so that AMD has to release a new driver every time there is an update to X.org. And AMD chose not to release any more versions for old cards. Don't put the blame on AMD, it's linux's fault. The driver from 2009 works just fine on windows 7 even today. No such thing in linux. Because linux is better.
          It is your fault that you bought such graphics card as AMD doesn't really support Linux. Linux isn't clone of Windows.

Comment

BO$$ is local retard. I have 3870 Mobile, that I use with opensource drivers in notebook. Today he says linux is better, yesterday he says give me windows and mso. Terminal case, perhaps brain amputated. If you really have a lot of time to waste, just troll the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Julius View Post
              Where did you get that information? AFAIK only idTech1 used QuakeC, idTech3 used a totally different kind of game-play coding (some sort of encapsulated regular C if I am not mistaken).
              I've written a fair amount of QuakeC 3 gameplay code, or whatever the system is officially named. What I know of the original QC is only through some casual reading.

Anyway, if the original is still well performing, no reason to change.

Comment

Xonotic 0,7 is now available via PTS for those interested - http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...07346b18f79743
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's dead on arrival now that Valve is moving with some real games into linux world. It's even more dead given how shitty the video driver support is on linux.
                  No? I'm running it in Ultra settings with 4? AA just fine. Stop spreading BS and FUD, thank you.

Low end and old card. What do you expect? A 7750 GDDR5 is at least three times faster.
                  Last edited by Calinou; 09 June 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu is going to implement Packaged Apps (click-packages), So you can stay with one version just or almost as long as you stay with most windows or osx version and still use a good number of updated apps.

Or next time like others have said stick with Nvidia or Intel who give better/longer support, so you don't have to stay a slave of what AMD always does.
                    Last edited by madjr; 09 June 2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

So what if you have a 3870 that you use with the open source driver? I do that too. But the open source driver is worse when it comes to performance and power consumption.
                      It is open driver, damn it. Means chip is supported for 20+ years and nobody can strip existing support; means other, smaller OSes can use it; means anyone capable can fix bugs, not just amd; means everyone can easily localize bugs, reports are not obfuscated.
                      The performance is on paar to catalyst already, the power consumption is on paar to catalyst; its hardware level opengl matches to software level already. We only have several features missing, but they are not blockers.
                      What it misses is VDPAU* and dynamic powermanagement. Yes, I do miss good powermanagement, everybody does; but I can overcome that via two icons to switch profile. But that is not justified to hate AMD, they did a heap of open work! To me "open" guarantees security, longevity of support, capability to applications and environments; I *can* trade this for missing dynamic PM.

* HD4xxx and up have VDPAU unlocked, so I am also okay. I couldn't find good HD4xxx MXM2.1 version III mobile card, thats why I stick to mobile 3870, but no one else is obligated to stick with old discrete card.
                      Last edited by brosis; 09 June 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X