Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xonotic 0.7 Has New Compiler, Game Features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Julius View Post
    Where did you get that information? AFAIK only idTech1 used QuakeC, idTech3 used a totally different kind of game-play coding (some sort of encapsulated regular C if I am not mistaken).
    I've written a fair amount of QuakeC 3 gameplay code, or whatever the system is officially named. What I know of the original QC is only through some casual reading.

    Anyway, if the original is still well performing, no reason to change.

    Comment


    • #17
      Xonotic 0,7 is now available via PTS for those interested - http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...07346b18f79743
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        It's dead on arrival now that Valve is moving with some real games into linux world. It's even more dead given how shitty the video driver support is on linux.
        No? I'm running it in Ultra settings with 4 AA just fine. Stop spreading BS and FUD, thank you.

        Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
        No they don't. There is no support for my video card Radeon 3400 anymore in linux because the idiots that work at the linux kernel keep changing shit around so that AMD has to release a new driver every time there is an update to X.org. And AMD chose not to release any more versions for old cards. Don't put the blame on AMD, it's linux's fault. The driver from 2009 works just fine on windows 7 even today. No such thing in linux. Because linux is better.
        Low end and old card. What do you expect? A 7750 GDDR5 is at least three times faster.
        Last edited by Calinou; 06-09-2013, 04:04 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          No they don't. There is no support for my video card Radeon 3400 anymore in linux because the idiots that work at the linux kernel keep changing shit around so that AMD has to release a new driver every time there is an update to X.org. And AMD chose not to release any more versions for old cards. Don't put the blame on AMD, it's linux's fault. The driver from 2009 works just fine on windows 7 even today. No such thing in linux. Because linux is better.
          Ubuntu is going to implement Packaged Apps (click-packages), So you can stay with one version just or almost as long as you stay with most windows or osx version and still use a good number of updated apps.

          Or next time like others have said stick with Nvidia or Intel who give better/longer support, so you don't have to stay a slave of what AMD always does.
          Last edited by madjr; 06-09-2013, 04:21 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
            So what if you have a 3870 that you use with the open source driver? I do that too. But the open source driver is worse when it comes to performance and power consumption.
            It is open driver, damn it. Means chip is supported for 20+ years and nobody can strip existing support; means other, smaller OSes can use it; means anyone capable can fix bugs, not just amd; means everyone can easily localize bugs, reports are not obfuscated.
            The performance is on paar to catalyst already, the power consumption is on paar to catalyst; its hardware level opengl matches to software level already. We only have several features missing, but they are not blockers.
            What it misses is VDPAU* and dynamic powermanagement. Yes, I do miss good powermanagement, everybody does; but I can overcome that via two icons to switch profile. But that is not justified to hate AMD, they did a heap of open work! To me "open" guarantees security, longevity of support, capability to applications and environments; I *can* trade this for missing dynamic PM.

            * HD4xxx and up have VDPAU unlocked, so I am also okay. I couldn't find good HD4xxx MXM2.1 version III mobile card, thats why I stick to mobile 3870, but no one else is obligated to stick with old discrete card.
            Last edited by brosis; 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              BO$$'s profile -> Add to Ignore List (left hand menu) -> Yes

              Gets you back to rudely debating reality instead of extremely-rudely debating delusions.

              Michael's passiveness in forum moderation not only means that even reasonable adults escalate to rudeness and vitriol (me included, of course) but also that insane ass-clowns (see?) need to be filtered out by each user to make the forums tolerable. Stuff like this doesn't happen on LWN or most other sites with the gumption to moderate appropriately.

              I wouldn't even see what that kid rants about if people would stop replying-to/quoting him.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                Exactly. For them it's more important being "right" than to have happy users. Which is why Microsoft rules. They should take a lesson from Windows 8, where Microsoft actually stumbled. They also think they did the "right" thing but the users don't buy it. And profit motives will force them to do what the buyers want. Not what they want. Which is why linux is basically fucked since nobody cares about the users, just about themselves writing "cool" code.
                Crap, I half agree with you. I don't know if Windows 8 was really the "right" thing to do. However radical changes can cause users to revolt or stick with older releases. You're right that they have to do an about face however when Gnome went crazy on me I just switched to lxde and been happy ever since... That's the good part about having dozens of DE's (yeah I know their downsides as well so lets not bring that part up).

                One caveat, considering the backlash that hit gnome shell they should of took a lesson for the Linux world?

                Comment


                • #23
                  anyway, before being so rudely interrupted

                  play [MoN] Overkill [MOD] !
                  we (robots) need more meat
                  if you get lucky you can shoot Calinou too !

                  join today for free nothing at all !
                  get confused by your spawn location !
                  get a nade in you face ! for free !
                  get shot from 3 kilometers away and curse the aimer !
                  its great fun for the whole family ! (parental advisory: gibs galore)
                  Last edited by gens; 06-09-2013, 05:48 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                    Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    Exactly. For them it's more important being "right" than to have happy users. Which is why Microsoft rules. They should take a lesson from Windows 8, where Microsoft actually stumbled. They also think they did the "right" thing but the users don't buy it. And profit motives will force them to do what the buyers want. Not what they want. Which is why linux is basically fucked since nobody cares about the users, just about themselves writing "cool" code.
                    Crap, I half agree with you. I don't know if Windows 8 was really the "right" thing to do. However radical changes can cause users to revolt or stick with older releases. You're right that they have to do an about face however when Gnome went crazy on me I just switched to lxde and been happy ever since... That's the good part about having dozens of DE's (yeah I know their downsides as well so lets not bring that part up).

                    One caveat, considering the backlash that hit gnome shell they should of took a lesson for the Linux world?
                    This is one huge stupid lie. Show me one example when this happened? Its about control over userbase, control over chicken house; not about opinions of chickens. Opinions of chickens are listened to ONLY when the userbase is very low, when master is fragile and dependent;

                    When we have 5 operating systems, all software producers call to be crossplatform. When there is one lead with several small, suddenly only one is supported and the rest is considered unimportant or "alternative".

                    After critical mass, chicken opinion is no longer the matter - *they* make chicken opinion up. Chicken can try to fight, but they can't win - they can only hope to last long enough before finding "acceptable" config, because the master reached singularity, is essential to chicken life support and there is no life outside of master.

                    Even if MS interface is considered to suck by majority of older start-button zombies, MS has not lost time throwing stones on PC platform infront of Linux pathway - in form of UEFI, secureboot, fastboot. So come on, wish microsoft success, wish them to learn from Linux, maybe join Icaza. But don't build any false hopes to change their corporate policy of cannibalism, double-standards, betrayal and selfishness. No one ever managed to get back without his clothes covered by MS slime.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      I've written a fair amount of QuakeC 3 gameplay code, or whatever the system is officially named. What I know of the original QC is only through some casual reading.
                      Quake 3 doesn't use QuakeC, it uses real ANSI C. Whereas QC is a language that is very similar to C, but isn't C. (At least as of the original Q1 release, I imagine the DarkPlaces devs probably patched in some new C features.)

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                        Because somehow I should have been able to know back in 2008 that they will remove support in 2012. On these forums people like to say that somehow linux is better than windows yet you can't have even similar support for video cards. It's not like AMD video cards are some niche product that only 3 people in the world use...
                        You can expect manufacturer can drop support any time if you are using closed source drivers and some/many hardware have worse support if Linux has smaller market share than Windows.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X