Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Updates Steam Hardware Survey For May

Phoronix: Valve Updates Stem Hardware Survey For May

Valve has updated their Steam Hardware Survey results to reflect usage statistics by their gamer customer base as of May...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MjU

Last month Linux was split into almost 30 distro entries, now there are only 8, they must of put a threshold in place that sticks those below it into other. From what I recall, the rest of the distros not listed here made up over 0.5% last month. I would be surprised if more than about .05-.1% of other is being made up by ancient Mac and Windows entries. So the most likely situation is that Linux share is now at or above ~1.9%.

Comment

I suspect it's going to be a lot like the desktop situation: there is no reason to leave Windows for Linux. Especially considering gaming enthusiasts are a lot more sophisticated than just e-mail and browser folks.

There would need to be a successful SteamBox to get those numbers to budge much.

In terms of discrete GPUs it's amazing how much of a lead NVIDIA has over AMD.

Comment

Was just thinking about the numbers. Valve claim Steam has over 54 million active users, so if Linux use has passed 1.86% there is a fair chance that means that the Linux user count on Steam has finally passed the 1 million user mark.

Comment

Stem huh? I think you mean Steam Michael.

Anyhow I haven't been playing either mostly because of lack of time and titles that I haven't played. I would bet that when some more games come down the pike Linux users will return to play/test them out.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
            Was just thinking about the numbers. Valve claim Steam has over 54 million active users, so if Linux use has passed 1.86% there is a fair chance that means that the Linux user count on Steam has finally passed the 1 million user mark.
            54 000 000 * 2/100 = 108 000 so steam passed 100 000 mark!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I suspect it's going to be a lot like the desktop situation: there is no reason to leave Windows for Linux. Especially considering gaming enthusiasts are a lot more sophisticated than just e-mail and browser folks.

There would need to be a successful SteamBox to get those numbers to budge much.

In terms of discrete GPUs it's amazing how much of a lead NVIDIA has over AMD.
              Read: we need Linux-only titles.

Also, I heard that on recent cards, AMD is much better now (see the benchmark of the HD 7950 on Phoronix last year). I haven't tried though.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                Close. Ok, have another try.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                  Check your math.

You started off well...

Comment

54,000,000 * 0.0186 = ~1,004,400

Comment

Working...
                    X