Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Updates Steam Hardware Survey For May

Phoronix: Valve Updates Stem Hardware Survey For May

Valve has updated their Steam Hardware Survey results to reflect usage statistics by their gamer customer base as of May...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MjU

Last month Linux was split into almost 30 distro entries, now there are only 8, they must of put a threshold in place that sticks those below it into other. From what I recall, the rest of the distros not listed here made up over 0.5% last month. I would be surprised if more than about .05-.1% of other is being made up by ancient Mac and Windows entries. So the most likely situation is that Linux share is now at or above ~1.9%.

Comment

I suspect it's going to be a lot like the desktop situation: there is no reason to leave Windows for Linux. Especially considering gaming enthusiasts are a lot more sophisticated than just e-mail and browser folks.

There would need to be a successful SteamBox to get those numbers to budge much.

In terms of discrete GPUs it's amazing how much of a lead NVIDIA has over AMD.

Comment

Was just thinking about the numbers. Valve claim Steam has over 54 million active users, so if Linux use has passed 1.86% there is a fair chance that means that the Linux user count on Steam has finally passed the 1 million user mark.

Comment

Stem huh? I think you mean Steam Michael.

Anyhow I haven't been playing either mostly because of lack of time and titles that I haven't played. I would bet that when some more games come down the pike Linux users will return to play/test them out.

Comment

Originally posted by IanS View Post
            Was just thinking about the numbers. Valve claim Steam has over 54 million active users, so if Linux use has passed 1.86% there is a fair chance that means that the Linux user count on Steam has finally passed the 1 million user mark.
            54 000 000 * 2/100 = 108 000 so steam passed 100 000 mark!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              I suspect it's going to be a lot like the desktop situation: there is no reason to leave Windows for Linux. Especially considering gaming enthusiasts are a lot more sophisticated than just e-mail and browser folks.

There would need to be a successful SteamBox to get those numbers to budge much.

Read: we need Linux-only titles.

Also, I heard that on recent cards, AMD is much better now (see the benchmark of the HD 7950 on Phoronix last year). I haven't tried though.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                Close. Ok, have another try.

Comment

Check your math.

You started off well...

Comment

54,000,000 * 0.0186 = ~1,004,400

Comment

54 000 000 * 2/100
                      For 1.3% you have: 54000000 * 0.013

:-P

Comment

I picked 1.86% specifically because it is the first value to the nearest hundreth that surpasses 1 million (1.85% is 999,000). This is also considering that 54m is still current. It has been at least a few months since Valve reported that as their active user count, so it has probably gone up since, but working with the numbers we have available we would just need to pass that 1.86% mark to be fairly sure.

I feel confident that the majority of "other" is made up of the less common Linux distros that aren't showing up this month, so there is a very good chance we have surpassed that 1 million mark during May.
                        Last edited by IanS; 06-01-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

Yes and most of the game I own on steam that work natively on Linux still play better smoother on Windows (AMD GPU, so might be driver reason, and cannot use the latest beta version for then steam then no longer boot for some reason), so still mostly stick to Windows gaming even on game that work on both side, for moment, for just too much stress right now to be willing to bother with getting set up working optimally under Linux. (There was X3:TC and AP that actually were smoother then under Windows from what I saw, but those game require an involvement that currently too much for me right now, even if some of my favorite games)

But I admit only currently in a temporary gaming set up to try Linux gaming on my desktop (very heavy gamer, so Linux could never have satisfied me, in the state it was before, so never tried gaming on it before Valve made a move), for just quickly installed Ubuntu 12.04, in multiboot on the desktop, for thing to work quickly, has I am usually more on the hatted side of Linux when it come to work.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                            Stem huh? I think you mean Steam Michael.
                            No, Stem Hardware is just like Stem Cells. It's how they reverse engineer their drivers.

Comment

Just so everyone knows, I believe its 1.86% of total ACTIVE users. It wouldn't surprise me if as much as 5% of Steam users (or even more) never logged in once in the past year.

Another thing to consider is many Steam users, myself included, have signed in on both Windows and Linux, which can slightly skew the results.

Comment

Working...
                              X