X3: Albion Prelude Released For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    No, you don't. As i said, you can play completely offline, without Steam at all. You just need to download the no-steam patch from Egosoft's website. Steam is just a way to buy, download, and install the game, if you don't want any of the other bonus's that come from it.

http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/f...hp?answer=2150
    Why can't they sell it without Steam then?? I.e. they use DRMed platform and offer DRM free patch. It's really weird, when they can sell it right away through a DRM free one!

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Why can't they sell it without Steam then?? I.e. they use DRMed platform and offer DRM free patch. It's really weird, when they can sell it right away through a DRM free one!
      Go to "Open letter regarding Steam and a few announcements": The X-Universe News Edition 50

Comment

The overhead of some other channel may cost more than they save by not having Steam take a cut?

Comment

They can use Humble Store to sell it. Little overhead and no DRM junk.

Comment

Redundant / repetitive Steam / DRM arguments aside - a huge (!) congratulation to Egosoft for going the extra mile and porting all their games to Linux.
            Hopefully, X:R will be available on Linux the same day the Windows version is released.

- Gilboa
            DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
            SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
            BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
            LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

Comment

Working...
            X