Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jedi Academy Thrives As Open-Source Software

Phoronix: Jedi Academy Thrives As Open-Source Software

It was one month ago that Activison and Raven Software open-sourced two of their games. While Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are old titles, they are now thriving as open-source software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Within 10 days they had ported JKA to Linux and OS X with SDL2.
    This is messed up.
    Really no excuse the game wasn't ported to those platforms to begin with then.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      This is messed up.
      If the game was done using SDL or some other crossplatform audio/video library and they just chose not to make it available...I agree. If the game was done using windows libraries for audio/video though, then its more understandable. Maybe it WAS done in windows-specific ways and the openjk devs just ripped all that out and dropped in SDL2.

SDL2 though...is an issue in and of itself though because I dont THINK its packaged in most repos except Arch and Gentoo, because its not released yet.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        If the game was done using SDL or some other crossplatform audio/video library and they just chose not to make it available...I agree. If the game was done using windows libraries for audio/video though, then its more understandable. Maybe it WAS done in windows-specific ways and the openjk devs just ripped all that out and dropped in SDL2.

SDL2 though...is an issue in and of itself though because I dont THINK its packaged in most repos except Arch and Gentoo, because its not released yet.
        The SDL2 bit is Larabel BS. Afaik it is using SDL for input on Linux/Mac. The game itself seems to run on a (modified?) quake3 engine. This might explain why the porting didn't take that long.

Btw NWN1/2, Kotor1/2 are OpenGL games too, wish they would also open source their code. I bet Linux ports would be available within a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          The SDL2 bit is Larabel BS. Afaik it is using SDL for input on Linux/Mac. The game itself seems to run on a (modified?) quake3 engine. This might explain why the porting didn't take that long.

Btw NWN1/2, Kotor1/2 are OpenGL games too, wish they would also open source their code. I bet Linux ports would be available within a few weeks.
          NWN1 is already on Linux, the official install CD's included a bash script to do linux installs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            NWN1 is already on Linux, the official install CD's included a bash script to do linux installs.
            You are correct, thanks. And they seem to have used SDL too.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              This is messed up.
              You assholes don't pay for shit. If it weren't for one or two twits throwing lots of money to charity, the linux average for the humble bundle would be $1.00.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                You assholes don't pay for shit. If it weren't for one or two twits throwing lots of money to charity, the linux average for the humble bundle would be $1.00.

speak for yourself, not the rest of us

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Ooh, I smell a butthurt windows user. Basic math proves you wrong, btw.

Comment

Get away troll, I've paid more on Linux stuff recenty than I have on Windows in years.

Comment

Working...
                    X