No announcement yet.

Half-Life 2 Games Released For Linux On Steam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until I can figure out how to eliminate the mouse glitch and random stuttering in Portal, I won't be buying HL2. I personally don't think a 64 bit client is necessary, because probably about half the games on steam have no 64 bit binaries and never will. Steam as a client software has no use for extra registers - the most CPU intensive thing it does is the backup feature, which is generally held back by disk before it is by CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      WTF? AMD drivers and sailing smooth here so don't speak for everyone. I play L4D2 highest settings with only a bit of stutter in the initial start of a map (I assume things are still loading). I should note that I realize that's not much of a accomplishment.
      the driver is just slow, had no problems on windows with source games and euro truck simulator 2, but on linux... . Brutal legend has graphical corruption in the menu's.

13.4 + HD 7750.

Comment

Offtopic question

Where do you find beta releases in Steam client? I am subscribed to beta and I've found Portal few days ago but don't remember where.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Lucky Nvidia users

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          Unfortunately with the clusterfuck that are the video drivers on linux, I guess this won't be the year of linux either, nor the next one, or the next one, or....
          Played a lot of games and very happy with them.

Comment

There you go bud.

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
            Offtopic question

Where do you find beta releases in Steam client? I am subscribed to beta and I've found Portal few days ago but don't remember where.

Thanks in advance.
            Steam -> Settings -> Beta Participation('Change' button)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              i see some problems with nvidia drivers, but we have other drivers to install not only 319. the people with ati/amd have a lot of problems but its normal
              Just tested it. Half-Life 2 works flawlessly here with amd hardware (HD 5750) and default (open source mesa) drivers from Ubuntu 13.04. With 1680x1050, all settings to max, I get a fairly consistent playable 60 fps (vsynced). Not a glitch, Bravo!, and fuck nvidia

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                Steam -> Settings -> Beta Participation('Change' button)
                Doh, and that's everything I *didn't* ask. I've already said that I've enabled Beta Participation and I have no idea where I can find Half Life Beta to download ... It doesn't appear anywhere in the store.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  Just tested it. Half-Life 2 works flawlessly here with amd hardware (HD 5750) and default (open source mesa) drivers from Ubuntu 13.04. With 1680x1050, all settings to max, I get a fairly consistent playable 60 fps (vsynced). Not a glitch, Bravo!, and fuck nvidia
                  This.

I have Radeon HD 4850 with latest mesa and everything works beautifully with max setting and MSAA 4x. Bravo indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    Doh, and that's everything I *didn't* ask. I've already said that I've enabled Beta Participation and I have no idea where I can find Half Life Beta to download ... It doesn't appear anywhere in the store.
                    You need to right click on halflife 2 and then select the beta tab and opt-in there.

Comment

FOSS Drivers and Source Games

Yay, now I can play the entire Orange Box on GNU/Linux!

Also, I'm extremely impressed with the progress of FOSS driver performance, specifically the Radeon drivers. When I was on Ubuntu 12.10, HL2M wouldn't even achieve 30fps if I didn't turn everything down to minimum settings and run it in a 1024x768 window (and I have a 6970HD at that!). With the upgrade to 13.04 (which includes Mesa 9.1 and kernel 3.8.x), I can not only run HL2M at 1280x720 resolution and with decent settings (everything maxed out save for anti-aliasing and anisotropy) @ 60fps, but I can do the same with TF2. And with no graphical glitches! Granted, I still need to play them windowed, but it's a huge leap in performance that totally shattered my expectations; I almost forgot I was using r600g and Gallium3D!

Comment

That would be great, I liked the Half Life 2 games. I have all of those in Steam in Windows.

Maybe someday I'll install a distro that can run the Steam client.

Actually I hope someone ports Black Mesa (it's a source engine mod that is a remake of Half Life). That's my favourite "Half Life" anything.

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Comment

I pulled in an update for steam and now it won't start. gotta troubleshoot. I think first step will be to start it on a terminal and see if any error messages are dumped out.

Comment

Source engine games LAAAAAG

Here's another one having serious issues on AMD hardware/drivers! I have an A10-5800K APU and all games running on the Source engine have major input (keyboard and mouse) lag. The same issue exists for L4D2. Just checked google and no surprise since L4D2 is running on the source engine!! Crazy. The only thing I can do is set the resolution AND quality super low. Games are playable like this but still seriously lag when in certain spots in the game (like in portal, looking at the door you exit at a level--weird!) I've tried EVERY bios and driver setting to no avail, and it's been like this since Catalyst 13.1. For now, I'm staying away from all Source engine games. (Trine2, SS3 BFE, and all non-source engine games I have run just fine.)

Comment

Okay, so I have read Phoronix since 2008 but hadn't registered ever.

Now I have a reason; to help you all out. So with our graphics card situation as it is, squeezing every drop of performance out of our drivers important.

http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=3731.0

It's basically using your gpu card(s) only for said game. Not much performance boost, but it'll help.

PS:Can someone confirm if it works under Ubuntu and Fedora?

Comment

Originally posted by blindfrog View Post
                                This.

I have Radeon HD 4850 with latest mesa and everything works beautifully with max setting and MSAA 4x. Bravo indeed!
                                Same here. Using ATI FirePro M7820 (basically same chip as 5870M) with fglrx on Ubuntu 13.04. Half Life 2, Portal and L4D2 all work fine, running on 1920x1200 and high details, except for (very) occasional stutters.

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                                The original Left 4 Dead is also missing.
                                Don't get your hopes up. L4D is pretty much "deprecated" since L4D2 contains all of its content. So there's really no reason to port the old one.

Comment

Working...
                                X