Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Linux Usage Still On The Decline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    GIVING isn't illegal, that is, assuming you disown the product yourself.
    I'd be entirely for being able to trade/give games on Steam, this would be a great feature.(It doesn't already exist, does it? I don't know much about Steam.)
    I've bought a few games I played for a few moments on an impulse buy that someone else would probably enjoy more.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      I'd be entirely for being able to trade/give games on Steam, this would be a great feature.(It doesn't already exist, does it? I don't know much about Steam.)
      It's not possible to do this on steam. You can buy gifts for other people though. At some point Valve will need to find a way to square Steam with the European Court of Justice's recent decision that software can be sold second hand (even if the EULA says it can't).

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        It's very easy to install them on *buntus, just go to Software Sources > Additional Drivers.
        Its about the same for openSUSE.

        There is a one click install for the proprietary drivers.

        http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

        Comment


        • Originally posted by archibald View Post
          It's not possible to do this on steam. You can buy gifts for other people though. At some point Valve will need to find a way to square Steam with the European Court of Justice's recent decision that software can be sold second hand (even if the EULA says it can't).
          I'm not sure that they will. From what I have read in the past you never own the games you buy on steam but you rent them on a permanent bases.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by timothyja View Post
            I'm not sure that they will. From what I have read in the past you never own the games you buy on steam but you rent them on a permanent bases.
            Exactly that - you don't buy a license for a game (which could be sold), you buy a subscription to use a license for a game (aka a service). There was a large outcry when Steam changed their EULA to this wording. Which imho is wrong, they could get some more money if they allowed e.g. selling games between Steam users + a cut of the price for them. Everybody loses, not fun :-P.

            Comment


            • They'll run up against the ECJ at some point, who so far have been pretty sensible. It might be the case that the ECJ decides that even though the EULA says that, it counts as a sale.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                Exactly that - you don't buy a license for a game (which could be sold), you buy a subscription to use a license for a game (aka a service). There was a large outcry when Steam changed their EULA to this wording. Which imho is wrong, they could get some more money if they allowed e.g. selling games between Steam users + a cut of the price for them. Everybody loses, not fun :-P.
                Except they would need to get permission to do so from the original license holder (the publisher) first. Multiply that by the number of different publishers on the platform, and you see why this is impossible. Hence why you will NEVER see selling games between users in Steam.

                Comment


                • I'll buy Counterstrike. All already released games look old and outdated to me...

                  I'm currently playing Rage and Wolfenstein on Wine.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                    Except they would need to get permission to do so from the original license holder (the publisher) first. Multiply that by the number of different publishers on the platform, and you see why this is impossible. Hence why you will NEVER see selling games between users in Steam.
                    "Dear publisher, we are implementing a system for the users to be able to sell their library games between each other. Some rules apply <insert here> and each publisher will get x% of each transaction between users. If you do not wish for the users to be able to resell games published by you, you have 2 business weeks to opt-out of this system... blah blah blah..."

                    Simple as that - maybe some publishers would really opt-out of this system, but that would get us at least some options of reselling the games. Also: never say never.

                    Comment


                    • Quote Originally Posted by startzz View Post
                      this is the most stupid thing i've ever heard isnt linux motto "do yourself".

                      * * *


                      Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                      I know this troll obviously has trouble with English but that sentence is a classic and probably goes right over his head. Either that or he' s a comic genius. Lol. Maybe its just my childish mind but that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Linux moto is "fuck yourself"
                      English is not my native language. Therefore I can't thank you enough for pointing that out since I did not see it in the first place

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
                        "Dear publisher, we are implementing a system for the users to be able to sell their library games between each other. Some rules apply <insert here> and each publisher will get x% of each transaction between users. If you do not wish for the users to be able to resell games published by you, you have 2 business weeks to opt-out of this system... blah blah blah..."

                        Simple as that - maybe some publishers would really opt-out of this system, but that would get us at least some options of reselling the games. Also: never say never.
                        They won't agree to it, because it will cost them a ton of money. People will buy the game, some will not like it, and try and exchange it with someone who does. That's one less sale. Publishers will NEVER agree to this.

                        Hell, EA left Steam simply because they didn't like Steam taking a cut of DLC sales. Don't think for a second Activison/Ubisoft wouldn't do the same.

                        Comment


                        • http://www.netmarketshare.com/report...ux&qpcustomb=0

                          Approximate Linux Market Share: <1.5%
                          Approximate Steam Linus Market Share: <1.7%

                          Not shocked at all. If anything, the Steam usage numbers seem a bit high.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                            They won't agree to it, because it will cost them a ton of money. People will buy the game, some will not like it, and try and exchange it with someone who does. That's one less sale. Publishers will NEVER agree to this.

                            Hell, EA left Steam simply because they didn't like Steam taking a cut of DLC sales. Don't think for a second Activison/Ubisoft wouldn't do the same.
                            There is more to business than simple math. A dissatisfied customer drives away many potential new customers, so being able to turn that dissatisfied to a satisfied one is well worth that single sale, cause it helps to make even more sales.

                            On a side note - yes I can predict that the big publishers wouldn't be so fond of such a system, but I bet that most of the indies would very gladly welcome it, as they are more concerned with people being happy with their game. And again - never say never. In my life I've met a lot of people that were so sure of what they were saying that they said that something will "never" happen, and yet it happened. It took some time (sometimes quite a lot of time), but for most things the question is not "if", only "when". Now let's end this offtopic.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                              http://www.netmarketshare.com/report...ux&qpcustomb=0

                              Approximate Linux Market Share: <1.5%
                              Approximate Steam Linus Market Share: <1.7%

                              Not shocked at all. If anything, the Steam usage numbers seem a bit high.

                              This! people just cannot expect that gaming on linux will ever be an alternative to windows gaming, even if there were exactly the same games on both platforms windows would be king for a long margin, because most people just don't use linux, because they don't now it or even care about it, windows is what comes with their PC's and it does the job for them.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by marco26 View Post
                                This! people just cannot expect that gaming on linux will ever be an alternative to windows gaming, even if there were exactly the same games on both platforms windows would be king for a long margin, because most people just don't use linux, because they don't now it or even care about it, windows is what comes with their PC's and it does the job for them.
                                I disagree completly. Gamers tend to be the most knowledgable group of computer users and I dont know of anyone thats into games that has not heard of Linux. Also when discussing Steam with them everyone I have talked to said they would switch if all there windows games were available. Why would they ever bother purchasing Windows again if they can get Linux for free, this being the case for the many gamers that build their own systems.
                                Also gamers are a fickle bunch so any performance advantages offered by Linux would get gamers to switch in a second (dual booting is very easy), in theory the open nature of the linux environment make it a perfect platform for gamers to setup a tweaked system for performance gains. All that remains is for the graphics card makers to get their act toghether (something that is already happening thanks to Valve)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X