Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Steam Linux Client Beta Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
    I still can not play TF2 because my mouse do not click anything in the game...
    Did you report this issue?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      Aha, so the "problem" is that the steam client is 32-bit. Is that how it's going to be when they roll out their steambox?
      There isn't really any reason for Steam to be 64 bit, other than "nativeness". Especially now with multiarch. It would be nice if they dumped flash, though...

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Works for me (Xubuntu 12.10), you're doing it wrong.
        Good point(not really)

        I upgrade to 13.04 Kubuntu but still I can't click anything in teamfortress2.

        And now not another "you're doing it wrong" post please...

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by TAXI View Post
          OK I open up a issue: Issue #342

          https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Sou...mes/issues/342

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
            There isn't really any reason for Steam to be 64 bit, other than "nativeness". Especially now with multiarch.
            On the otherhand, on Linux we've been running fully 64bits OSes for nearly a decade (except for a few bumps in the begining with the not-quite-open-source Java requiring some quirks to get fully native 64bits runtime, and the shitty 32bits-only closed source flash requiring a wrapper).

            A 32bits steam feels completely out-of-place, specially for something handling games - i.e.: resource-hungry software which would definitely benefit from the 64bit mode.

            On the other hand, its a formerly windows software and we all know too well how 64bits has been doing meanwhile on that platform. (Only drivers and a few select software are 64bits, almost everything else is still running 32bits).

            Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
            It would be nice if they dumped flash, though...
            I second that.
            Specially since steam only uses it to play video preview - something which is very well covered by HTML5's VIDEO - which in turn is *already* supported in steam as it rellies on the HTML5-compliant webkit.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by DrYak View Post
              A 32bits steam feels completely out-of-place, specially for something handling games - i.e.: resource-hungry software which would definitely benefit from the 64bit mode.
              Well, it is surprising more games are not 64 bit. But even if the games where, it isn't like Steam would need to be.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
                Well, it is surprising more games are not 64 bit. But even if the games where, it isn't like Steam would need to be.
                True, but why NOT make it 64-bit if pretty much all hardware that would be running steam supports it and has for ages? Also, maybe Big Picture mode would get more FPS, given how beastly it is.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  True, but why NOT make it 64-bit if pretty much all hardware that would be running steam supports it and has for ages? Also, maybe Big Picture mode would get more FPS, given how beastly it is.
                  Valve have mentioned a 64-bit steam client will eventually come to linux
                  I have a hard time thinking of any 64bit games off hand. Now we are back to the same issue
                  Even if 64-bit games are available,as far as i know you can only download the 32-bit versions through steam, because steams In-game overlay doesn't currently work on 64-bit games.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X