Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

Phoronix: Ouya Game Console Performance Is Disappointing

The gaming performance for Ouya, the successful Kickstarter project to develop a low-cost Android-powered open game console, is rather poor...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1MjU

I'll wait until mine arrives before I come to any conclusions. I know that it won't be as fast as a Steam Box or PS4, but that's not the point of this device.

Comment

Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

For future references: real consoles do not multitask!

Comment

For a while I thought that considering the amount of contributors Ouya had, they'd have invested in Tegra 4, or at least find a way to heavily overclock the Tegra 3 without killing it. Anyways, unless they made some software mods of their own, I don't think the hardware will make enough of a difference anyway. Android makes a pretty bad PC, and while Ouya is focused on gaming and media, it's also claimed to be a development platform. I wish the project success, but I think Tegra 3 will really hurt it.

Comment

The current OUYA is best suited as a Home Theatre PC.

They plan to bring out new versions and those future versions would be very interesting for casual games. The current one however is meh.

Comment

What's going on with you people? The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known. Did anyone actually expect miracles?
            Last edited by brent; 04-15-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
              Did someone actually expect a console running Android to be usable for games? Good god, people, how naive can you be?

"Good god, people, how naive can you be?"
              Funny, that was exactly my thoughts when I read your post. Real consoles do multitask to some degree. Next generation even more so. Android isn't slowing down the performance that much, particularly OpenGL. Tegra 3 never had a fast GPU, only good marketing and decent drivers.

Originally posted by brent View Post
              What's going on with you people? The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known. Did anyone actually expect miracles?
              ^ This.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Ouya at all when I saw the kickstarter for it. This seems about in line with what I expected of it, mediocre hardware/performance. Project Shield looks like a much better contender for the Android-based gaming device market.

Comment

I think the headline here is far overblown.

I was never expecting a whole lot beyond being a decent HTPC and maybe playing some Mario clones.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                    The performance characteristics of Tegra 3 are very well known.
                    Well known to suck. It will play Angry Birds and other android games, that's all i ever thought would happen.

Comment

The only saving grace I can see for them is that they've promised an annual refresh with each new ARM architecture; if they can survive until they release their A15 model then they should be able to pull through and actually become a decent platform for console gaming. But hey, it's still somewhat of a competitive deal at $100 for a quad core A9 system with wifi and enclosure, the first included game controller is like a freebie. Still really excited for the $300 steam box model though! I used to love console gaming on the PS2, but with EQOA dying after WoW came out I just ended up completely transitioning to PC gaming without looking back even after the newer consoles came out. To just have a little complete linux PC connected to the living room tv with the option of playing games in Big Picture is just an ideal scenario for me. I'm still waiting to hear what the advised specs are to be able to determine if I could just assemble my own steambox at the same $300 price point as the "better" model or if buying the pre-built box would be more cost effective.

Comment

Anyone that expected this to be a real gaming computer is naive at best. Most Android games wont even play on this since they rely to much on touch screens and will never be ported. Not that there is much available for Android that is worth playing anyways.

What is this good for then? It should make a half decent emulator box for old consoles. If you stripped Android from it it'd maybe make a decent playback only HTPC.

What would make this a competitive gaming system that might garner some attention from game developers? Start with at least the 8core Mali-T678 GPU and a 2Ghz quad core Cortex-A15 CPU and 4Gb of ram and SATA and USB3 controllers for mass storage both internal and external as well as support for SDXC cards and Bluetooth for wireless remotes and controllers maybe allow it to also be a DVR box. Top end arm is able to handle it.

That'd put it in the range of the PS3 in terms of total processing power, but with much more up to date GPU functions allowing for better looking games.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post

All of the new consoles for this generation multitask.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                            Anyone that expected this to be a real gaming computer is naive at best. Most Android games wont even play on this since they rely to much on touch screens and will never be ported. Not that there is much available for Android that is worth playing anyways.

What is this good for then? It should make a half decent emulator box for old consoles. If you stripped Android from it it'd maybe make a decent playback only HTPC.
                            Nah, it could do that now, with XBMC for android, it works well on my old phones with worse hardware than the OUYA.

Comment

They should have anticipated for the Tegra 4, even if it added $20 the final price.

They may still have time to redeem the project before it goes live.

Comment

Working...
                              X