Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3: Terran Conflict Hits Steam On Linux

Phoronix: X3: Terran Conflict Hits Steam On Linux

It appears that the X3: Terran Conflict space training and combat simulator game has finally reached Linux, nearly five years after it premiered for Windows and OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

X3: Terran Conflict was first released in 2008 and marked the end of their X series of computer games.
    I don't understand this sentence. What does it mean? What about X3: Albion Prelude and the next X game, they are working on?

Comment

Originally posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
      I don't understand this sentence. What does it mean? What about X3: Albion Prelude and the next X game, they are working on?
      You beat me to it. X Rebirth will be in the next generation series of the game (X4?), but Albion Prelude is definitely an X3 game. It's basically Terran Conflict with a few minor tweaks, which in turn is basically Reunion with a few minor tweaks.

I still play Terran Conflict, so it will be cool to play it on Linux.

Comment

Is it worth it?

Movement is acceptable? Do it have too long and boring travel intervals? Is it open ended or closely scripted game?
        (and how it work with r600g? )

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Is it worth it?

Movement is acceptable? Do it have too long and boring travel intervals? Is it open ended or closely scripted game?
          You can speed up travel with SETA (Singularity Engine Time Accelerator), basically it lets you speed up time up to 10X to shorten long trips.

X games are open universe. They're essentially a giant sandbox for you to play in. They have campaigns, but frankly those are mostly throw away. Basically, if you're playing an X game for the story, you're doing it wrong.

I love the X Series, it's my favorite modern space sim. You can do basically whatever you want. You can own all manner of ships, from scouts to fighters to transports to corvettes to giant carriers and destroyers. You can build factories and multiplex them. You can trade and set up a galaxy-wide merchant empire (that's my bag), as the game has a good supply and demand economy. You can be a defender and protect sectors. You can be a pirate and prey on merchants. You can lead giant fleets and assault whole sectors.

Words of caution:

*Cringeworthy voice acting
          *STEEP learning curve
          *Prepare to lose hundreds of hours of your life to this game

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
            You can speed up travel with SETA (Singularity Engine Time Accelerator), basically it lets you speed up time up to 10X to shorten long trips.

X games are open universe. They're essentially a giant sandbox for you to play in. They have campaigns, but frankly those are mostly throw away. Basically, if you're playing an X game for the story, you're doing it wrong.

I love the X Series, it's my favorite modern space sim. You can do basically whatever you want. You can own all manner of ships, from scouts to fighters to transports to corvettes to giant carriers and destroyers. You can build factories and multiplex them. You can trade and set up a galaxy-wide merchant empire (that's my bag), as the game has a good supply and demand economy. You can be a defender and protect sectors. You can be a pirate and prey on merchants. You can lead giant fleets and assault whole sectors.

Words of caution:

*Cringeworthy voice acting
            *STEEP learning curve
            *Prepare to lose hundreds of hours of your life to this game
            Don't forget there is also jump drive available to shorten travel time (let you jump to any jump gate from any location, has long has you have enough energy cell in your ship hold, basically) and also a hub sector available (but that last one you will not see unless you ready to dedicate a lot of time to the game, has it is the reward of one of the quest line)

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Is it worth it?
              IMHO, no. X3:TC is essentially a trimmed version of the X-Tended Mod for X3:R (which is/was already available from LGP), plus marines and a better interface. Furthermore, two major "pillars" of the game are gone - why "trade" or "build" for many game days when you can make millions of credits with just a few short patrol missions? Trading is fruitless because the economy is so broken in the begining, and building only pays off once you're very rich and need more ship equipment than the universe's economy provides.

If you want the "real" (and most fun) X experience (i.e. "Trade. Fight. Build. Think"), play X2:The Threat, if you can still get it.

Movement is acceptable? Do it have too long and boring travel intervals?
              Nope and yes. Sector sizes were increased from X3R/X2, and maximum ship velocities were decreased => a trading ship or cruiser will take *forever* at maximum game acceleration (SETA) to get anywhere.
              Is it open ended or closely scripted game?
              Open ended with scripted plots and missions.
              The LGP versions work fine with mesa, but there are some graphical artifacts (ex: excessive bloom/blurring in X3:R).

Comment

This is good. Where can one buy it without Steam? I tried to run X2 once (from here http://demofiles.linuxgamepublishing.com/x2/) but it doesn't work on modern distros, or at least I didn't manage to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
                  The LGP versions work fine with mesa, but there are some graphical artifacts (ex: excessive bloom/blurring in X3:R).
                  The Egosoft version of both X3R and X3TC work very fine on my 6870 running mesa/r600g, without any artefacts or other disturbing effects. The performance is still a bit behind Windows, but the game's nevertheless very well playable

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  This is good. Where can one buy it without Steam? I tried to run X2 once (from here http://demofiles.linuxgamepublishing.com/x2/) but it doesn't work on modern distros, or at least I didn't manage to make it work.
                  I think there the only place to get the Linux version of X3R and X3TC is steam, no idea about X2. You probably also want to read here: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=333164

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    This is good. Where can one buy it without Steam?
                    Nowhere. X3 is Steam-only.

Comment

Working...
                    X