Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Valve's Steam Client Bad & Damaging For Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    I'm not going to fault him for telling the truth for once. Most OSS games are crappy clones of UT3. Sure they where based on the UT3 engine, but the UT3 engine can be used to make allot more then jut a blowfully uninspired arena FPS game with terrible graphics and even worse gameplay.
    ...

    ...I think you mean Quake 3.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IanS View Post
      Expressing both love and ambivalence towards a platform hardly counts as "strongly opposed."
      notch expressed love, worry, and an idealized goal of developers self-publishing without using steam.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        I'm not going to fault him for telling the truth for once. Most OSS games are crappy clones of UT3. Sure they where based on the UT3 engine, but the UT3 engine can be used to make allot more then jut a blowfully uninspired arena FPS game with terrible graphics and even worse gameplay. Nobody ever thought to get some help from the Blender guys? The Blender projects looked great, much more detailed graphics then any game could do at the time.

        The Nexuiz guys that ran off with the code and made a proprietary game out of it where actually more or less on the right track, just because it's OSS doesn't mean you can't make make it paid software, doing so would allow you to fund further development for the game, they just went about it in the wrong way.
        You are obviously not an open source game player. I've got at least a dozen beautifull oss games on my hdd and none of them is an FPS game. And of course they wont have graphics like their $20M and $100M commercial counterparts. This are pretty much hobbyist projects and often even 1-3 man projects driven by pure passion. Shitting on them they way Michael and You do is just sad and doesn't help in any way.

        Especially on a website which claims to be:
        "Phoronix is the leading technology website for Linux hardware reviews, open-source news, Linux benchmarks, open-source benchmarks..."

        Comment


        • Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          ...

          ...I think you mean Quake 3.
          If I am not mistaken Aliens Colonial marines is made with a modified UT3 engine.
          This game is also the reason, why I do not like to read anything about what gearbox or mandy p has to say.

          They have proven to be totally unreliable.

          http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ect-final-game

          Their big hit, borderlands is lets say, inspired by a vid, made by some artists, which they forgot to mention.

          Comment


          • Richard Stallman said although not open source the benefits outweigh.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
              If I am not mistaken Aliens Colonial marines is made with a modified UT3 engine.
              This game is also the reason, why I do not like to read anything about what gearbox or mandy p has to say.

              They have proven to be totally unreliable.

              http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ect-final-game

              Their big hit, borderlands is lets say, inspired by a vid, made by some artists, which they forgot to mention.
              But what that has to do with anything? Especially since there is no such thing as a "UT3 engine", there's just Unreal Engine 3.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                But what that has to do with anything? Especially since there is no such thing as a "UT3 engine", there's just Unreal Engine 3.
                I was agreeing with Kivada.

                Who wrote:
                I'm not going to fault him for telling the truth for once. Most OSS games are crappy clones of UT3. Sure they where based on the UT3 engine, but the UT3 engine can be used to make allot more then jut a blowfully uninspired arena FPS game with terrible graphics and even worse gameplay.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by quandasim View Post
                  i dont know fedora, but i'm noob 64bit archlinux user (its not debian based) and steam works out of the box.
                  Yeah I you have to be a real Linux genius to install Steam on Arch.
                  pacman -S steam. Click the Icon. Done. It's not like Arch does some magic tricks and work arounds. It just copies to the files to their destination.

                  I'm an active member of the Steam for Linux Hub on Steam and wonder everytime why other distros suck so much ass. This probably why I stopped
                  distro hopping the moment I installed Arch Linux. I know this sounds like the typical Arch elitist bullshit ( I'm far from a real Linux guru) but from my point of view unless a distro offers me 3 free wishes I will never use anything else then Arch.
                  All other distros simply have major disadvantages and offer nothing I can't have on Arch.

                  Comment


                  • Nothing beats the LeeT-Distro!

                    Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Yeah I you have to be a real Linux genius to install Steam on Arch.
                    pacman -S steam. Click the Icon. Done. It's not like Arch does some magic tricks and work arounds. It just copies to the files to their destination.

                    I'm an active member of the Steam for Linux Hub on Steam and wonder everytime why other distros suck so much ass. This probably why I stopped
                    distro hopping the moment I installed Arch Linux. I know this sounds like the typical Arch elitist bullshit ( I'm far from a real Linux guru) but from my point of view unless a distro offers me 3 free wishes I will never use anything else then Arch.
                    All other distros simply have major disadvantages and offer nothing I can't have on Arch.
                    \/\/\/7 480\/7 1337 63|\|700? \/'11 |\|3\/3|? 8347 7|-|a7 \/\/|-|17|-| 5|-|177`/ 4|?<|-|!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                      I was agreeing with Kivada.

                      Who wrote:
                      Except that Aliens: Colonial Marines is not an OSS game, it uses a modified Unreal Engine 3 that has nothing to do with Unreal Tournament 3. And there is only one game that runs on Linux that is on UE3 to begin with. And it's not an arena shooter, too.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                        I'm an active member of the Steam for Linux Hub on Steam and wonder everytime why other distros suck so much ass. This probably why I stopped
                        distro hopping the moment I installed Arch Linux. I know this sounds like the typical Arch elitist bullshit ( I'm far from a real Linux guru) but from my point of view unless a distro offers me 3 free wishes I will never use anything else then Arch.
                        All other distros simply have major disadvantages and offer nothing I can't have on Arch.
                        I have never understood the point of Arch. If I want to configure everything manually, I'll go full on out and use Gentoo. If I want something that doesn't require tinkering, but still has all the functionality, then I'll use openSUSE. Arch is in an odd middle ground.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                          Ok, some devs love them and others are strongly opposed to Steam (Minecraft and Gearbox)
                          whats the big deal here anyway. You bring out a game and you choose how to distribute it. If you want it on steam you go through the greenlight submission process and if approved you sign the NDA and then choose to either accept their cut or not. With so many titles on steam its obviously not that much of an issue to most game developers.


                          Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                          Come on... What's next? Valve invented the Internet?
                          Why is it so hard to believe ??

                          http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/Release...aming-8ac.aspx

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                            whats the big deal here anyway. You bring out a game and you choose how to distribute it. If you want it on steam you go through the greenlight submission process and if approved you sign the NDA and then choose to either accept their cut or not. With so many titles on steam its obviously not that much of an issue to most game developers.
                            I would agree that developers should have the full freedom to choose distribution options to serve the interests of themselves and their customers. If Steam makes sense, that's fine, and if it doesn't, that should also be fine.

                            Self-proclaimed community advocates such as Michael Larabel are voicing heavy support of Steam without justification. Why tell other developers to give such a large cut of revenue to Valve? Why sign over rights to Valve? Why does Valve deserve any of this for a piece of software that was developed without any aid from Valve? Why not stress the rights of developers to serve their interests and the interests of their customers over the interests of Valve?

                            Originally posted by DDF420 View Post
                            It is not that I am doubting that they have had some involvement with contributing to driver efforts. Of course that is true. And it is worthy of praise since it benefits even non-Valve customers.

                            I do suspect that Valve's contributions are being overstated. I suspect Valve is a relatively minor player among those who are driving the major improvements to the Linux ecosystem of drivers and hardware compatibility.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                              It is not that I am doubting that they have had some involvement with contributing to driver efforts. Of course that is true. And it is worthy of praise since it benefits even non-Valve customers.

                              I do suspect that Valve's contributions are being overstated. I suspect Valve is a relatively minor player among those who are driving the major improvements to the Linux ecosystem of drivers and hardware compatibility.
                              Only since steam I see the amd drivers on linux improve.
                              Graphic card, a hd5750, which is already how long on the market ? 3 years ?


                              This forum is created because Valve talked with amd.
                              http://devgurus.amd.com/community/steam-linux

                              http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...9614929131085/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DanLamb View Post
                                I would agree that developers should have the full freedom to choose distribution options to serve the interests of themselves and their customers
                                Don't they?
                                If Steam makes sense, that's fine, and if it doesn't, that should also be fine.
                                It is fine.


                                Self-proclaimed community advocates such as Michael Larabel
                                Source?

                                are voicing heavy support of Steam without justification.
                                Explain what needs to be justified and to whom!

                                Why tell other developers to give such a large cut of revenue to Valve?
                                Source for this? Are you privy to this?

                                Why sign over rights to Valve?
                                What rights? How?

                                Your claims lack specifics.

                                Why does Valve deserve any of this for a piece of software that was developed without any aid from Valve?
                                To host your game on their storefront and provide visibility in the form of Steam's large user base. You or anyone else is free to put up a website and sell your game there.

                                Do you want Valve to offer this to you for free or at a cost that is not economical to their business?

                                Why not stress the rights of developers to serve their interests and the interests of their customers over the interests of Valve?
                                Valve is a business, they look out for themselves. Game developers look out for themselves.

                                No developers is forced to use Steam as their distribution mechanism. If they find Valve's terms acceptable, they are free to use Steam. If they do not accept the terms then they are free to not use Steam.

                                You are trying to create an issue where there is none.

                                Do you hear game developers complaining about Valve and steam?
                                Why are you complaining? Is Valve and steam causing issues for you?


                                It is not that I am doubting that they have had some involvement with contributing to driver efforts. Of course that is true. And it is worthy of praise since it benefits even non-Valve customers.

                                I do suspect that Valve's contributions are being overstated. I suspect Valve is a relatively minor player among those who are driving the major improvements to the Linux ecosystem of drivers and hardware compatibility
                                Do you have a source or evidence to justify your claims or is this something you made up and thought would support your claims?

                                What is your agenda here?
                                Last edited by jayrulez; 04-09-2013, 04:54 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X