Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch How NVIDIA & Valve Ported Source To Linux

Phoronix: Watch How NVIDIA & Valve Ported Source To Linux

Curious how NVIDIA Corp and Valve Software brought the Source Engine to Linux and their game porting lessons learned?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM0NDk

Nvidia helps bring Valve's source to linux

Now if we could only get Nvidia to bring it's source to linux.........

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      Now if we could only get Nvidia to bring it's source to linux.........
      Won't happen, deal with it.

Comment

No offense, but

@Video, beginning:
        Tilting around the camera for a minute ... back into the initial state.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
          @Video, beginning:
          Tilting around the camera for a minute ... back into the initial state.
          Ha, ya, I was starting to think I'd get seasick if that kept up much longer.

Comment

I suppose this is good news but since most Linux users are likely to build their desktops themselves - especially if they are gamers - I can't see it catching on. Laptops would be a better thing for Dell to offer because Linux gamers would definitely buy those.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
              I suppose this is good news but since most Linux users are likely to build their desktops themselves - especially if they are gamers - I can't see it catching on. Laptops would be a better thing for Dell to offer because Linux gamers would definitely buy those.
              Wrong thread perhaps?

Comment

Wrong thread

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                There you go: Thread: Dell/Alienware Introduce Linux Gaming PC

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
                Wrong thread perhaps?
                I guess so.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  Won't happen, deal with it.
                  Adam Orth, is that you?

Comment

Hay Mr. Cameraman... wtf ru doin?

Comment

I don't know why it posted in this thread. I typed it up in the other one. Bizarre.

Comment

At the end they say there looking at open-sourcing a DX->OpenGL wrapper, so we could start to see a bunch more game ports from that ☺

Also they recommend that people develop under OpenGL rather than Direct3D. Or at least the nvidia guy did, the Valve guy pointed out Intel had craptastic drivers for some chips so I don't know if we will be seeing HL3 as OpenGL by default...

Also it would be nice to see the steam hardware survey give figures for actual OpenGL capabilities rather than just the level of DirectX support and what it's rough OpenGL equivalent is. Linux might have a lot fewer OpenGL capable users and the Intel opensource ones are still at 3.x levels. Does a Windows system that supports a certain level of DirectX necessaries have OpenGL support, after all MS would require DX for certification but have no reqs for OpenGL so there could be plenty of Windows systems that have poor OpenGL support, maybe there are plenty of people who are just using the Windows drivers rather than installing the vendor ones. Also what extensions are realistically usable.

Comment

From what I could find by googling (basically nothing), ToGL is closed source. Great. So they expect every little developer shop to implement their own D3D to OpenGL translation layer? May as well just run your app on wine or winelib.

Maybe Nvidia and Valve have the resources combined to do that, but it's really a huge effort. They should open source the generally useful ToGL code to help all developers. They only stand to benefit, as you would start seeing many more games on Linux if developers could just port their windowing/input code to SDL and use ToGL for all the rendering, fix a few bugs, ship it, done. I wonder if ToGL is advanced enough to handle Unreal Engine 3 games...

Anyway, really asanine move by Nvidia and Valve not to open source that component at least.

Comment

For ut3 there is icculus' mojoshader(unity engine uses this too):
                            http://icculus.org/mojoshader/

Or can you do something more with ToGL?

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                              For ut3 there is icculus' mojoshader(unity engine uses this too):
                              http://icculus.org/mojoshader/

Or can you do something more with ToGL?
                              As far as I know, MojoShader only translates shaders, not API calls. ToGL should do those too.

Comment

Working...
                              X